Once upon a time.....early ACTION shots Part 3

Moderator: Busnerd

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Once upon a time.....early ACTION shots Part 3

Post by Centralian »

Some class leaders, some odd ones out, and the start of the Renaults:

1.1.jpg
2.2.jpg
3.1.jpg
4.1.jpg
5.1.jpg
6.1.jpg
7.1.jpg
8.1.jpg
9.1.jpg
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
ALBION1881

Re: Once upon a time.....early ACTION shots Part 3

Post by ALBION1881 »

And here is a picture from the Leon Batman collection of Thornycroft ZIB-240 in her service days to Woden Interchange and it looks good.
Ryan
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1

Post by Ryan »

Some great old shots there, thankyou for sharing them!
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

I would be interested to know when ACTION phased out the ZIB number plates. These number plates would look alright fitted to buses in the ACTION fleet nowadays if they were still around.
Ryan
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1

Post by Ryan »

I may be wrong, but I believe it was a result of the ACT being granted self-government in 1988. The ZIB Plates were Commonwealth Government, whereas the BUS Plates are ACT Government.

I'm uncertain of the date of the actual changeover, but I doubt it was the highest priority at the time, so it could have taken a few years.
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

I`d say take a look at ZIB-671 the Leyland Lynx and the Leyland tiger beside it and you properly get a time when the ZIB plate were last used.
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Ryan wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe it was a result of the ACT being granted self-government in 1988. The ZIB Plates were Commonwealth Government, whereas the BUS Plates are ACT Government.

I'm uncertain of the date of the actual changeover, but I doubt it was the highest priority at the time, so it could have taken a few years.
Indeed it was, as most ZIB (And ZIH) Plates carried CofA at the top. I think ZYB was found on our Police cars for a while, as I remember the CofA Plates on Police vehicles at Erindale Police Station when I was younger (And are still found on some AFP/APS vehicles today as they are Federal Vehicles).

I think the comparison with the Volvo and the MAN is the best, as it shows both plates. If there is a date at all when that photo was taken then it would give us an indication of when the ZIB plates were phased out.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Is the leyland Lynx, the one that was also demonstrated in Perth as MTT-11 (6YY-320)? That Vultron Transdot display looks awfully familliar!
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Yes it is! Looks interesting in the ACTION livery, both colour schemes suit the bus, I think.
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Bus-1809 wrote:Is the leyland Lynx, the one that was also demonstrated in Perth as MTT-11 (6YY-320)? That Vultron Transdot display looks awfully familliar!
If I am not mistaken one or two Lynx's were bodied by Bolton for demonstration in Perth (to their spec) and elsewhere. The light above the door to me is the main giveaway to me.

Return to “Photos - Canberra/ACT”