Centre Entrance Buses?

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Re: Centre Entrance Buses?

Post by Centralian »

Looking at a Coaster and a Bedford SB5 as examples, the engine sits on top of the front axle. Judging by the overhang in front of the axle these two are Bedford Vams with the engine sitting in front of the axle so I would argue different to a Coaster. But yes having the door behind axle does allow seating at the front and avoids the restricted entrance if door was placed forward of axle. Can't say I've seen any other similar units. The furthest one looks to have 3 double seats forward of the door opposite the driver.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
LB608

Post by LB608 »

MO 8229 Ison Deepwater, Bedford VAM
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Centralian wrote:I can't put a name to the operator, but in the early '80's these two were regular features in Lismore parked during the day
and then taking the school kids back in the afternoon. They look like Bedford Vams with Superior body and what could best
be described as a centre door only. In the one further away you can see the seating forward of the axle.
Nearest one has rego MO 8229.
Lismore.jpg
Thanks Centralian.Great photos. Thats some history in that photo.

Those vehicles have the door closer to the centre than most other centre entrance buses.
Its interesting to see that was adequate room at the front the builder could have fitted a front door entrance.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

This is a Hunters Hill Bus Co centre entrance bus MO 863 from c1940:

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pid=19911

This is the position of a centre door. If the door is immediately behind the front axle (normal control bus) it is still considered a front door. What this thread is getting at is buses that only have a centre door and no other doors.

I think it's better to describe it as a centre door rather than a centre entrance as any door can be used for both entrance and exit, depending on local rules.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

The picture is from the Ken Magor collection tonyp its probably one I posted yonks ago
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”