Australian Pacific:The history.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

Australian Pacific:The history.

Post by Denv12 »

As a child I remember one of their buses that my now late Father bought back in the mid 1960s.A Freighter Lawton bodied Bedford.That company obviously got bigger over the years.As I have a photo or two I would like to get this topic on the go of this well known Australian company.If you have photographs,information,memorabillia,etc on this company please add it here.Thanks.

In 1986 whilst I was visiting the Denning factory there were Mercedes coaches being built on the production line.These were the Landseer body.

A Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Pacific_Touring
Attachments
Denning bodies single axle Mercedes of Australian Pacific.
Denning bodies single axle Mercedes of Australian Pacific.
D1000004 (602 x 405).jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
A Truck & Bus advert for Konvecta air cond showing an Ansair bodied Mercedes coach.
A Truck & Bus advert for Konvecta air cond showing an Ansair bodied Mercedes coach.
1.2 (680 x 936).jpg (177.89 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Denning Denair of Australian Pacific.
Denning Denair of Australian Pacific.
D1000024 (456 x 307).jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Ex Australian Pacific Freighter Lawton bodied Bedford.Photo dated mid 1960s.
Ex Australian Pacific Freighter Lawton bodied Bedford.Photo dated mid 1960s.
D1010008 (518 x 538).jpg (59.39 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
Industry

Re: Australian Pacific:The history.

Post by Industry »

Here is a Black and White photo of a bedford square deck Denning for you.

Not sure where this photo came from was in my rubbishbin at work.
Attachments
JSK026.jpg
JSK026.jpg (62.26 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Industry wrote:Here is a Black and White photo of a bedford square deck Denning for you.

Not sure where this photo came from was in my rubbishbin at work.
Thank you for adding here.What a great photo.Thanks again.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

Sept 1975, I was there somewhere!
Attachments
Uluru 02.1.jpg
Uluru 02.1.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Free Lance wrote:Sept 1975, I was there somewhere!
Nice photo.There are some interesting coaches there.The Denning on the Left,Not sure what the AP coach is from the back.It looks like a Freighter Lawton coach to the right of it.The livery looks similar to "Graebers" from Lobethal.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Bill McGeary started his business in the northern suburbs of Melbourne around Northcote. However, he moved to the southern suburbs in the 1930s where he ran two services, one between Brighton Beach and Moorabbin, the 44A, the route we are re creating today. He ran another, the 31A, which ran from near his house and depot in South Road, where we will stop today, to Middle Brighton Post Office. By 1950, the fleet had grown to 7 buses. However, Bill decided to sell the route services and concentrate on charter and school services, under the name “McGeary’s Parlor Coaches”.

In the early 1960s, Bill’s son Geoff took over the business, and breathed new life into the company. New Comairs were initially purchased and Central Australian and Queensland tours were introduced.

In February 1967, McGeary’s Parlor Coaches, Quince’s Scenicruisers and Melbourne Motor Coach Service combined to form Australian Pacific Coaches (APC). While Quince’s withdrew in May 1969, APC set about expanding the business and re-equipped with high quality Mercedes Benz coaches. In 1976, the company expanded into the area of retail tour operations through Australian Pacific Tours. By 1991, APC had over 70 coaches. Over the years, the company reduced its actual ownership of vehicles, till today, when it is solely a retail seller of tour packages under the name of Australian Pacific Touring (APT). It is still owned and managed by the McGeary family.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

The Denning bodied VAM3 in the B&W photo (taken by Bruce Tilley) was new in 4/67, and was the first new bus acquired by APC. It went to Quince's when they left the partnership.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

system improver wrote:Bill McGeary started his business in the northern suburbs of Melbourne around Northcote. However, he moved to the southern suburbs in the 1930s where he ran two services, one between Brighton Beach and Moorabbin, the 44A, the route we are re creating today. He ran another, the 31A, which ran from near his house and depot in South Road, where we will stop today, to Middle Brighton Post Office. By 1950, the fleet had grown to 7 buses. However, Bill decided to sell the route services and concentrate on charter and school services, under the name “McGeary’s Parlor Coaches”.

In the early 1960s, Bill’s son Geoff took over the business, and breathed new life into the company. New Comairs were initially purchased and Central Australian and Queensland tours were introduced.

In February 1967, McGeary’s Parlor Coaches, Quince’s Scenicruisers and Melbourne Motor Coach Service combined to form Australian Pacific Coaches (APC). While Quince’s withdrew in May 1969, APC set about expanding the business and re-equipped with high quality Mercedes Benz coaches. In 1976, the company expanded into the area of retail tour operations through Australian Pacific Tours. By 1991, APC had over 70 coaches. Over the years, the company reduced its actual ownership of vehicles, till today, when it is solely a retail seller of tour packages under the name of Australian Pacific Touring (APT). It is still owned and managed by the McGeary family.
May be of Interest That APC contracted alot of Work to the old Roberts Coaches owner by Dot & Eric Roberts We had to put on APC Shirts an temp sign on our coaches.I HAVE ALL ROBERTS HISTORY PLUS PHOTO BUT FAILED TO GET A PHOTO WHEN DOING APC WORK
GUY ARAB
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Post by dominodc122 »

I well remember when I first started driving in Cairns in 1986 - Australian Pacific Merc 303.3s on the roads and frequenting hotel lobby entrances and unloading international pax. These where some of the most well appointed units with sylish liveries that were to be seen at the time and a class act...
AP - 0303.jpg
AP - 0303.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Ap 0303 - 1.jpg
Ap 0303 - 1.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 3451 times

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”