Express coaches various

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
8 SPEED
Favourite Vehicle: Anything 420hp or above

Re: Express coaches various

Post by 8 SPEED »

Was there a difference between Pioneer and Pioneer silver service?
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HORSEPOWER
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Express coaches various

Post by mrobsessed »

Silver service was a bit quicker, didn't go via Newcastle heading north and the suburbs heading south. I have a 1990 t/t somewhere.
User7526

Post by User7526 »

Oh these photos are beautiful! Thank you so much for posting them Pete.

These are the vehicles that were out on the roads when I was an apprentice, great stuff!
Peta.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

Great photos Pete, so much appreciated and enjoyed!
Going back quite a way in time.
Makes me realize now just how very long ago were the days when Pioneer and Redline ruled the Interstate tours and express roost.
I hate getting old!!
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Quite a few nice ones there Pete. Especially the 1st pic (AWESOME). #802 with a Volgren body is a strange looking vehicle. What was that powered by (Scania) :?: and of course the EAGLE in Pioneer colours is AMAZING. Fantastic selection as always. Thanks
User7526

Post by User7526 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Quite a few nice ones there Pete. Especially the 1st pic (AWESOME). #802 with a Volgren body is a strange looking vehicle. What was that powered by (Scania) :?: and of course the EAGLE in Pioneer colours is AMAZING. Fantastic selection as always. Thanks
802 was one of a number of B10Ms that Volgren (Qld) converted to a rear engine configuration, way before B10C chassis were even thought of. It was done to provide some through bin space and to also improve weight distribution as well.

Peta
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

Great photos once again Pete,
Volgren Qld made at least 4 variations that i remember.
Ummm, i don't think "802" would have been converted to rear engine. The radiator is just in front of the pusher axle and the rear bin is huge although a long way from the front door.
I doubt that Volgren Qld or greyhound would change any configuration around after the construction. I am unsure as to how many were produced with this pusher axle, but these were true B10M's unlike #"417", which would have been delivered as mid mount to the original Volgren Qld 11 Colebard St Acacia Ridge, where they changed it around.

Clarrie Skennar had a couple of these 800 series when he came out of retirement and took on the Toowoomba and Charleville runs.
I recall my mate had one of these one day going to Twmba and the fan motor dropped off the side mounted radiator and ground it down almost to the hoses.
Another put a leg out over the Christmas break and I had to let it in the workshop for a new leg and block repair!

I know currently of at least one of the "802"s series, this is still in service as it was delivered, I did the motor (THD100ED 276 hp)7 years ago and it is still going strong. I used it for a day last July and it was almost a pleasure to drive, (the streets i was taking it in were meant for a horse and carriage only.) Was more up market than the Leyland Panther i was supposed to take!
Later on the B10m's were changed around to rear engine, and more than likely #417 had the (THD101KC 310hp) Volvo motor and 5HP600 removed and fitted with the 6V92 and Allison box.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
BBL 10
Favourite Vehicle: MCA/CAT 3208T

Post by BBL 10 »

Nice photos indeed, those tourmasters look really good. I wish those days would come back.
CAT DIESEL POWER
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Post by dominodc122 »

Cheers Pete - We finally found an original of my coach # 473 - This will help immensly in taking her back to original!!!

Much appreciated

Chris Lind
20042012(007)-1.jpg
20042012(007)-1.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Last edited by dominodc122 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Cordes Express
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by Cordes Express »

Looks like all thats missing is the brightwork from the sides.... I can't wait to see progress photos of this Machine!!!! ;)
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

She has been rebuilt from the bin bottom to just below the window frames - The wheel arch shape is the only none original feature which I will recitify when I can get templates and dimensions to return to original- I have looked in interior access points and she shows minimal if any signs of corrosion - slight roof bubble rust but nothing that is not fixable - The toilet had been locked since 1994 due to nobody knowing the location of the key - when I drilled out the fitted lock the interior was like new! - The water cistern still had water in it (no chemical in the Toilet tank thank god) and the water pump primed and flushed straight away!!! It even had the original dunny paper and hand towels still in place (although somewhat yellowed and dried out) from the last service in 1994 when it was purchased - It had been off the road for 8 years and stored in a shed with a blown engine - That has been rebuilt by the last owner and she runs like a dream.
Cordes Express
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by Cordes Express »

Broughams have had some great buses over the years. I'm sure they would have looked after it. You might want to get hold of Clarks in Kaiwaka... They have, or had one of the Austral Denning's you might be able to get the dimensions for the wheel arches from them. Or Tranzit in Masterton. I have seen one in their livery recently up in auckland recently too....
6727133195_4440351e59_b.jpg
User7526

Post by User7526 »

Maladjusted wrote:Great photos once again Pete,
Volgren Qld made at least 4 variations that i remember.
Ummm, i don't think "802" would have been converted to rear engine. The radiator is just in front of the pusher axle and the rear bin is huge although a long way from the front door.
I doubt that Volgren Qld or greyhound would change any configuration around after the construction. I am unsure as to how many were produced with this pusher axle, but these were true B10M's unlike #"417", which would have been delivered as mid mount to the original Volgren Qld 11 Colebard St Acacia Ridge, where they changed it around.
Have a look at the front, you can see that the radiator has gone for sure as we know. The next item to note is where the through bins are, right behind the front axle. That is the area where the engine in a B10M hung from the chassis, also showing that the engine was moved. There was an article in an old Truck And Bus magazine years ago about these vehicles, I used to have so many issues of them but now I don't so I can't prove it but I remember it clearly. The engines were put into the back, radiator on the side as there wasn't enough room in the rear overhang and the tag axle got changed to a pusher for driveline space requirements. Honestly, I'm not kidding you.

Peta.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”