Former MTT depot, 88-90 Mount Street, Burnie

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
LocoLes
Favourite Vehicle: CAC Bedford 1957-60

Former MTT depot, 88-90 Mount Street, Burnie

Post by LocoLes »

In August 1959 MTT purchased Norton's Motors Burnie bus fleet and residence that included a small admin office at the rear. The photo shows an entry laneway on the RH side of the photo with a centre exit on the LH side. The large building behind the residence was the fleet garage with parking for 4 buses at a squeeze. Buses can be seen parked at the rear. The building on the RH side of the photo belonged a tyre company. The new office building is partly seen on the left.
Another photo shows the rear entry of the building for drivers and staff with the former MTT Hobart Jeep parked near bus 523.
Lastly a view of the public entry of the new building. All this lost because of the new expressway which took away much history with it's construction.
Attachments
New MTT offices at 90 Mount Street, Burnie..jpg
New MTT offices at 90 Mount Street, Burnie..jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 30491 times
Rear of Mount St. offices [note MTT Willys Jeep].jpg
Rear of Mount St. offices [note MTT Willys Jeep].jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 30491 times
Depot and residence 88-90 Mount Street, Burnie c.Sep1965].jpg
Depot and residence 88-90 Mount Street, Burnie c.Sep1965].jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 30491 times
Loco Les
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Re: Former MTT depot, 88-90 Mount Street, Burnie

Post by stevegj52 »

I can remember when the depot was in Mount Street and when it closed when the new one opened.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
AEC Regal

Post by AEC Regal »

So much history with the bus operations of the MTT and its predecessors, the HMT & LMT. WE really need a comprehensive book to document this!! I think Ian Cooper might have one under development (I hope). If it is like his trolley-bus tomes, it should be a cracker!!
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for this thread Locoles.Very interesting.
When in Burnie in January,2015 I noticed that there was a Nortons Transport depot in the industrial area.Is this business a decendant of Norton's Motors ??
Cheers-
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

Hi burrumbus, Yes, when Bob Norton & family sold the local bus business in 1959 they setup Norton Transport using a TK model Bedford petrol engine semi-trailer with a closed back. The Norton's sons would be most likely running that now.
Cheers LocoLes.
Loco Les
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

Added to this earlier post are 3 more photographs of MTT's 'new' Mount Street office and staff facilities [at rear]. The first pic [1961] shows the building well under construction on the site of No.90 Mount Street which was originally used to park the fleet by Norton's Motors until August 1959 and then by MTT until construction began in 1961. The original office was at the rear of the residence, 88 Mount Street. That reminds me, it is now 58 years this month since MTT's purchase of Norton's Motors Pty. Ltd., Burnie.
On the corner of Mount Street and Spring Street in the background are the P.M.G.'s [Post Master General] offices with distant pollution visible from A.P.P.M's South Burnie mill. Burnie Technical College is the building behind the telegraph pole on LH side of pic. Note the FJ Holden and Morris Minor among the vehicles visible. Burnie has changed considerably since 1961 as this is the site of the by-pass that was constructed right through this 'spot' mid 1970's which was the reason MTT resited to Strahan Street, South Burnie, the current depot site. This photo was taken from the storage area above the garage, workshops.

The next photo shows the completed offices fronting Mount Street with 3 CAC Bedfords visible [7SB's 152 and 72 and SB 33]. Note bus 72 has the upper section of the windscreens tinted green before being transferred to Burnie.

Bedford 7SB No.150 is parked beside the office in the 3rd photograph.
Loco Les
Attachments
img380 - 'New' Mount Street depot offices under construction. Bedford 7SB No.152 visible.jpg
img380 - 'New' Mount Street depot offices under construction. Bedford 7SB No.152 visible.jpg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 29518 times
img378 - 'New' Mount Street offices [Buses visible are 7SB's 152 & 72 with SB 33..jpg
img378 - 'New' Mount Street offices [Buses visible are 7SB's 152 & 72 with SB 33..jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 29518 times
img419 - 'New' Mount Street MTT offices with Bedford 7SB alongside c.Oct61 [opened Nov61].jpg
img419 - 'New' Mount Street MTT offices with Bedford 7SB alongside c.Oct61 [opened Nov61].jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 29518 times
Loco Les
werkhorse

Post by werkhorse »

Hi everyone, My first post here. I am a Launceston based transport historian and am in the process of writing the history of the Norton family in transport, Percy, his sons Bob and Glynn and Bob's sons Tony and Tim who run the current Norton Transport in Burnie. Having done the obvious search of the forum I was pleasantly surprised to see Norton Motors featured here, albeit mainly after the MTT take over. I have attached a photo of 88 Mount St as owned y Percy before he built the shed behind for the buses. the house on the left, 90 Mount St, was owned by Glynn before it was demolished for more yard space.
88-90 Mount St when owned by Percy Norton before the rear shed was built
88-90 Mount St when owned by Percy Norton before the rear shed was built
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

Hi Werkhorse,

Welcome to the forum :) Any additional photographs and history re Norton Motors of Burnie prior to MTT's commencement of services would
be of huge interest to us all. Your photo of the residence where Norton's [ then MTT's ] operations were based at 88 Mount Street c.1940's shows the
area saw some development on the hillside in the background and the home at 92 Mount street is visible. No.88 is basically unchanged apart from
different paintwork. The home at No.90 as you mentioned was demolished to make way for bus parking and later the new depot building.
Your history of Norton Motors bus operations will be eagerly sought by fellow historians and enthusiasts :!:
All of this was 'lost' to the Burnie expressway development. :(

Cheers, Loco Les.
Loco Les
werkhorse

Post by werkhorse »

Thank you Locoles, I was amazed at the photographic history that the family has kept all these years, It goes all the way back to at least 1935 when the family moved to Rosebery and worked for EZ. I am wondering, would it be better to start a whole new thread on Norton Motors for the pre MTT info ?

Cheers

Darren aka Werk/Werkhorse
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

Hi Darren aka Werkhorse,

Your suggestion to begin a new Norton thread for pre MTT days sounds like a good idea as I'm anticipating

you have some never before seen pics and history to post. :D

Cheers, LocoLes. :wink:
Loco Les
werkhorse

Post by werkhorse »

Another shot of the property, One can only guess that it was a parting shot after the sale. Bob bought a house just up the hill at 24 Moody St which still looks much like it did back in his day.
88 Mount St, Burnie possibly after Norton Motors was sold
88 Mount St, Burnie possibly after Norton Motors was sold
img207 fixed (Small).jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 24226 times
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

Hi Darren,
Yes, that is the residence as I remember it in 1959. And talk about 'workhorses' the 1948 SWB Land Rover parked there was THE workhorse until replaced by the ex MTT Hobart Willys Jeep.
It was 4-WD and either pushed or towed buses everywhere ! It was fitted with a strong permanent pushing upright for that purpose in front of the grille as can be seen. Tony Norton would remember the times it was used to push start 'Old Daisey' the 1939 Reo [Perkins engine] No. 17 around the block to start it many times. Surprisingly #17 did it's share of the work along unsealed West Mooreville Road as a school bus a.m. and p.m. until the Seddons were transferred from MTT Launceston depot but that's another story. :roll: Seddons were not much better ! :lol:
Cheers, Loco Les.
Loco Les

Return to “Photos - Hobart/Tas”