• Advertisement

A Few Odds and Ends of Late

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

A Few Odds and Ends of Late

Postby Merc1107 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:01 pm

In July, I acquired a 35mm film camera (Pentax MZ-50 SLR, a simple, low-end camera) from family. Since then, two rolls of FujiColour ISO400 36exp. have been run through the camera. Given the lackluster performance of my point and shoot digital camera, a gently-used Sony, this has been an incredible step in the right direction. Say what you will about film, but I'm personally not one for digital rubbish anyway.

This part of the forum seems very quiet these days, so I figured I might drop a few of my favourites in for the enjoyment of the audience confined to this discussion board. I am quite aware some members will have already seen these before, but for those who haven't, here goes.

Images are in reverse chronological order, from just recently to the end of July this year.

An interesting tidbit on 1102:
I had previously thought about one month ago that a 344 to Warwick Station would be my last hoorah riding aboard a CNG Rigid. Apparently not. The day I took this photo, I again figured that would be my last ride on 1102. Apparently not. Several days ago, I rode her for a third "last time." Time will tell what will eventuate as my ultimate and penultimate rides, in any case, I "patted" the bus, thanked her and wished her a happy retirement after each ride. :mrgreen:
Attachments
1102_Morley.jpg
A chance encounter recently was 1102 on a 60F to Morley.
1102_Morley.jpg (137.9 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
735_BC.jpg
One of a number of Transdev Renault PR180.2s left in service, 735 for the umpteenth time was my ride. Despite mechanical qualms, 736 goes better, although my favourites of this lot are 728 and 746
735_BC.jpg (124.86 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
2709_EQBS.jpg
2709 at Elizabeth Quay Bus Station, on a cold and sunny July afternoon
2709_EQBS.jpg (139.88 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
2324_Yokine.jpg
2324 at the Yokine terminus, a week or so after the opening of Perth Busport
2324_Yokine.jpg (171.57 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
This signature has been censored by the Grammatical Errors Moderation Bureau. Please direct any complaints to their filing cabinet, a nearby paper-shredder or perhaps the bin.

Thank-You.
Merc1107
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: Perth
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Favourite Vehicle: 'All' High-Floor Units

Re: A Few Odds and Ends of Late

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 pm

They're pretty good shots for a film camera which has then been transferred to a digital format. It's nice to see some everyday stuff from Perth for a change.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1010 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: A Few Odds and Ends of Late

Postby Bus Suggestions » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Merc1107 wrote:An interesting tidbit on 1102:
I had previously thought about one month ago that a 344 to Warwick Station would be my last hoorah riding aboard a CNG Rigid. Apparently not. The day I took this photo, I again figured that would be my last ride on 1102. Apparently not. Several days ago, I rode her for a third "last time." Time will tell what will eventuate as my ultimate and penultimate rides, in any case, I "patted" the bus, thanked her and wished her a happy retirement after each ride. :mrgreen:

Haven't ridden on one, but it won't be your last seeing a 110x fleet numbered bus. 1101 was seen operating a 60F at cnr Grand Prom and Walter Rd W, 4:10PM today. Wish I had my camera then. :(
I'm in Perth but I'm interested in Adelaide and Melbourne!
Find me as Somebody In D'Business on Youtube!
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxgB_b5NiVAiHE3M7AnDrnA
User avatar
Bus Suggestions
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:05 pm
Location: Perth,Western Australia
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Favourite Vehicle: Anything modern!

Re: A Few Odds and Ends of Late

Postby Dennis96 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Well done. Its good to see that you are trying film as a medium for your bus photography.

Film is my preferred medium for my transport photography. If I only have one opportunity for a precious shot, I will use the film camera. I use colour transparency (slide) film. Fujichrome Velvia 100. This produces the sharpest images and the colour rendition is faithful. Colour negative film does not seem to have the permanence of transparencies. Many of my earlier colour prints have faded badly and colour tones have gone towards brown orange tones. Colour negatives when scanned are inconsistent, - some won't produce good colour images and others seem fine.

However, my slides from decades ago appear to be surviving quite well. Kodachrome (unfortunately no longer available) is by far the best. for permanence and I cannot discern any deterioration in images that are nudging sixty years old. Hanimex and Perutz from the 1960's and early 70's has faded badly and a friend's Kodak Ektachrome slides are now losing the plot.

What I love with slides as against digital is being able to actually handle them. You can hold them up to the light, or project them onto a screen, or scan them to produce digital images that can be emailed or manipulated in Photoshop. They are tangible.

My transport pictures are amongst my most cherished possessions and I like to think will outlive me and will bring pleasure to others well after my time. Hence permanence is very important to me. We do not know what the archive survivability of electronic images will be - (look at how some video tapes have degraded) or if the mediums to replay or retrieve data from a card or chip will exist in decades, such is the rapid pace of development and changes in technology. (Many people don't even know what floppy discs are these days!). But colour slides well stored away from the light in a moisture proof environment and away from heat are standing the test of time. They have the runs on the board.

Film is affordable and best purchased on line - I buy mine from Amazon and Churchill Colour Laboratories in Railway Parade, West Leederville near the railway station does an excellent job developing it, plus they are lovely people to do business with.

Another advantage of film is because it is more expensive than digital, one puts more effort into selecting locations and composing pictures. Many folk (mainly happy family snaps) just click away thoughtlessly with digital and end up with a swag of crap pictures that inevitably are deleted. In time they may wish they had quality images of the time or of the event. Possibly with film they may have taken care and end up with decent pictures that would be retained and enjoyed forever. If, as I suspect you may be young, you may want to review and enjoy your bus pictures from 2016 in fifty years time, so consider the future.

Whatever medium, strive for quality over quantity.

Do take pictures of buses in locations that may change over time and take some with cars and other items that will change. They all help date a picture and provide great interest when looking back. Portraits of buses which exclude anything else can become less interesting over time. By all means keep taking some bus portraits at bus stations and termini, but make sure you also take lots of pictures of buses at work out on the road. For example take pictures on roads where you know bus routes may not be using, - for instance the Fitzgerald Street and Carr Street bus situation will change when the new bus bridge that will take buses straight from the Perth Busport into Charles Street at Newcastle Street is commissioned. If Perth is to ever get trams, then take pictures of buses on the streets before the tram lines are laid. Much as my generation did taking pictures of buses on the Mitchell and Kwinana Freeways in the days before the railways to Butler and Mandurah were built, - or diesel trains before it was even contemplated that Perth's suburban rail network would be electrified.
Passengers must not talk to Driver
User avatar
Dennis96
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:06 pm
Location: Perth
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: A Few Odds and Ends of Late

Postby Merc1107 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:29 pm

Dennis96 wrote:Well done. Its good to see that you are trying film as a medium for your bus photography.

Film is my preferred medium for my transport photography. If I only have one opportunity for a precious shot, I will use the film camera. I use colour transparency (slide) film. Fujichrome Velvia 100. This produces the sharpest images and the colour rendition is faithful. Colour negative film does not seem to have the permanence of transparencies. Many of my earlier colour prints have faded badly and colour tones have gone towards brown orange tones. Colour negatives when scanned are inconsistent, - some won't produce good colour images and others seem fine.
Thank-you very much for your kind comments, particularly in regards to explaining your preference for transparencies over negatives. I find it intriguing how each 'format' introduces its own character that the photographer must take into account when composing their shot. These shots were all scanned by the lab (on Fitzgerald St.), as I lack a scanner at present. The two small print-outs (a reference page, I suppose) received with the negatives and disc containing shots appeared better than the scans, so it was quite interesting that you mentioned scanning inconsistencies with colour negatives.

Dennis96 wrote:What I love with slides as against digital is being able to actually handle them. You can hold them up to the light, or project them onto a screen, or scan them to produce digital images that can be emailed or manipulated in Photoshop. They are tangible.
Without quoting long portions of a post, I agree that the digital era will make preserving our history increasingly difficult. Already those with older equipment, be it electronic or mechanical, are finding that documentation and information previously available online is vanishing overnight. Despite technology always moving forward and "getting better," we still have firms who cannot afford to keep data stored away on electronic mediums. Even backups can and do fail at times.

Dennis96 wrote:Film is affordable and best purchased on line - I buy mine from Amazon and Churchill Colour Laboratories in Railway Parade, West Leederville near the railway station does an excellent job developing it, plus they are lovely people to do business with.
This lot of film was purchased from eBay, 5x FujiColour ISO400 with 36 exposures gave me a bit of change from $50. I will certainly investigate both transparencies, and the lab you mention, too. Cost was $36 to develop the two rolls and have them scanned.

Dennis96 wrote:Another advantage of film is because it is more expensive than digital, one puts more effort into selecting locations and composing pictures.
I will admit I did some basic research beforehand to get an idea of the proper ins and outs of photography, although I relied on the camera's "automatic" pre-sets for this lot. Armed with the suggestions of others, I've done a further study on the topic and will start experimenting with the camera's manual options - then noting these done after each shot for future reference.

Dennis96 wrote: If, as I suspect you may be young, you may want to review and enjoy your bus pictures from 2016 in fifty years time, so consider the future.
You suspect correctly, I am a relative youngster. Whilst I have no clue what the future holds, preserving my own memories in a form that is less susceptible to accidental damage or loss is something that does concern me.

Dennis96 wrote:Do take pictures of buses in locations that may change over time and take some with cars and other items that will change. They all help date a picture and provide great interest when looking back. Portraits of buses which exclude anything else can become less interesting over time.
Thanks again for these, and other suggestions. I will be sure to put all into practice in the future and post the results.
This signature has been censored by the Grammatical Errors Moderation Bureau. Please direct any complaints to their filing cabinet, a nearby paper-shredder or perhaps the bin.

Thank-You.
Merc1107
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: Perth
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Favourite Vehicle: 'All' High-Floor Units



  • Advertisement

Return to Photos - Perth/WA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest