Volvo with Volgren Optimus Body - A Passenger Perspective

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Dennis96

Volvo with Volgren Optimus Body - A Passenger Perspective

Post by Dennis96 »

In a nice change from our usual diet of Mercedes-Benz O405NH and OC500LE CNG buses, my bus into the City yesterday was a new Volvo B7RLE 2433 with the later style Volgren Optimus body.

I was rather unsure of the frontal styling when these buses first came out and find them quite attractive now that I have become used to seeing them. Of course, styling is very much an individual thing, which is why some people buy and like motor cars that are horribly ugly to others. I like the Optimus style and the concept of having day time running lights which avoids the annoying habit of buses driving with headlamps on during the day is good.

Inside, the bus seemed less drab and utilitarian than the previous models. It was comfortable to ride in and much smoother without the jumps between gears that seems to afflict the Mercedes-Benz OC500LE CNG buses. For an enthusiast, the engine gave a pleasant growl, - not up to Leyland or AEC standards but far nicer on the ear than the moaning of the CNG fuel buses.

Overall, a pleasant journey and I look forward to more of these buses on our local routes.
2433 Roe St Bus Station 15th February 2014.jpg
Passengers must not talk to Driver
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Re: Volvo with Volgren Optimus Body - A Passenger Perspectiv

Post by Bus-1809 »

Personally, I think the Optimus body is pretty smack on. However, I've been in trouble on this forum regarding my thoughts on whats underneath them, so all I am going to say is that I think they make the most hideous noise I've ever heard from an engine. Give me an O500LE (Diesel or Gas) anyday!
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
TP1854
Favourite Vehicle: TP1103

Post by TP1854 »

The Optimus look very European just wish Volgren would change the side panel work to something different as for the chassis underneath the body work some of the volvo's are excellent performers.
Great shot of 2433 at RSBS.
Ain't no fuss when your on a bus!
No longer solo!!..
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

In all the travelling I've done in Europe, nothing has come close to being as ugly or horrible looking as the Optimus, and very little resemblance to any European bus. I think on that note, Volgren have done well on coming up with something unique.
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

Personally I love the look of the Optimus. Can't stomach those oc 500 benz bucketa shitz...even the smileys look good next to that bland crap.
Bus-1809

Post by Bus-1809 »

Have you ridden a diesel one, Plant-Smoker? It's nice to have something that leaves cars behind at traffic lights & makes a proper, deep, diesel roar. Mind you, you can do that with the MAN 18.320 Custom CB80 that you get to play with at work!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Bus-1809 wrote:Have you ridden a diesel one, Plant-Smoker? It's nice to have something that leaves cars behind at traffic lights & makes a proper, deep, diesel roar. Mind you, you can do that with the MAN 18.320 Custom CB80 that you get to play with at work!

LOL 1809, no unfortunately. They seem to have some zip......unlike the gassies.
The CB80 was good I confess.
So if i see smoke coming from an Optimus...I know who's caning it? lololol
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

The optimus primes (yes I know that's not their correct name :P~ also have the thicker seat squabs like the volvo artics
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Sorry 1809, you were referring to the diesel 0500? No, but they'd have to be a huge improvement over CNG!
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

VL6MT wrote:......unlike the gassies.
The gas engines on the OC 500 LEs are more than quick enough by design and in fact they're actually detuned from their maximum rating. Obviously you've just not been on the right units. As long as maintenance is kept up on them, their performance roughly equates that of a Euro III diesel variant of the same chassis.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

PoweredByCNG wrote:
VL6MT wrote:......unlike the gassies.
The gas engines on the OC 500 LEs are more than quick enough by design and in fact they're actually detuned from their maximum rating. Obviously you've just not been on the right units. As long as maintenance is kept up on them, their performance roughly equates that of a Euro III diesel variant of the same chassis.

Even with their turbos functioning I think they are the biggest piles of XXX to ever ply our streets. The look, sound, drive, ride, jerk and vibration from these pathetic, politically-purchased garbage trucks speaks volumes.
It's been well documented.
PoweredByCNG

Post by PoweredByCNG »

If you think they produce bad vibrations, you obviously haven't ridden a Volvo B7RLE or B12BLEA or even the B5RH Hybrid before...
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

PoweredByCNG wrote:If you think they produce bad vibrations, you obviously haven't ridden a Volvo B7RLE or B12BLEA or even the B5RH Hybrid before...
I have Dave, but the sound when outside is nowhere near as bad.
PoweredByCNG

Post by PoweredByCNG »

VL6MT wrote:I have Dave, but the sound when outside is nowhere near as bad.
I live in the third house from the end of my street and I hear buses travelling past my house every few minutes during normal hours Mon-Sat. Once upon a time, the bus service that operates past my house was operated almost entirely by CNG Mercs. Now the service is almost entirely Volvo-operated and I look forward hearing CNG Mercs drive past on the select shifts that belong to a CNG depot. There's nothing worse than the 'swarm of bees' sound that comes from the back of the Volvo B7s. You're entitled to your own opinion too, of course.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

lol. Swarm of bees I don't mind. Cracks in my walls and vibration through the block I loathe
Bus-1809

Post by Bus-1809 »

Vibrations in the OC's? The worst part of them is the damn ThermoKing Compressor... Other than that, they are probably one of the better types of new bus.

Here's a couple of sound recordings of ones in good condition
1371 on a 507: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/u8p1x68 ... 71_(1).mp3

1858 on a 354: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/larkite ... 58_(2).mp3

User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Bus-1809 wrote:Vibrations in the OC's? The worst part of them is the damn ThermoKing Compressor... Other than that, they are probably one of the better types of new bus.

Here's a couple of sound recordings of ones in good condition
1371 on a 507: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/u8p1x68 ... 71_(1).mp3

1858 on a 354: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/larkite ... 58_(2).mp3

I mean from outside. They are just so damn noisy.
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

noisy? the noisiest things are (as reluctantly as I say it) the Volvo artics. My friend lives in Yokine, a couple of blocks back from Alexander Dve, When there is one at the lights on a summers day with both of the a/c units going flat out, I can tell what sort of bus it is by ear
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

wayfarer wrote:noisy? the noisiest things are (as reluctantly as I say it) the Volvo artics. My friend lives in Yokine, a couple of blocks back from Alexander Dve, When there is one at the lights on a summers day with both of the a/c units going flat out, I can tell what sort of bus it is by ear
Maybe, I don't disagree. Doesn't change my opinion of these gas 500 shitbuckets one iota

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”