The murals at Shenton Park Station

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

The murals at Shenton Park Station

Post by adx666 »

Shenton Park station has some wicked murals that I have only seen out the window of the train until today!

Heres a few shots from the surrounds of the station
Last edited by adx666 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Re: The murals at Shenton Park Station

Post by wayfarer »

funny thing with those murals .. not long after they had opened the new station at shenton park (i'm talking about 1998ish) I was walking up through the underpass and there was a lone transit cop there. As i passed I couldn't help but hear him on the radio to his superiors - the conversation went along the lines of this "I'm at Shenton Park station, we have a very big problem here! the station has been VERY heavily graffited! help! help!" lol ... just goes to show that the more mentally able people don't necessarily apply for law enforcement positions.
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
City Bus Observer

Post by City Bus Observer »

At the turn of the century the surrounds of Shenton Park station were a target of heavy graffiti and as a radical solution the PTA commissioned local students to "decorate" the extensive ramps there alas by 2008ish that work done in earlier years was becoming tatty and peeling. The murals as now depicted are a second edition and more attuned to the railway environment that they are in. A good place to also see some murals of railway interest is in the pedestrian subway beneath Hay Street Subiaco joining Roberts Road and Stubbs Terrace Daglish.
Bernard
<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Post by <smarTTrams> »

The idea of having trains for the murals might have been inspired by the mural (done by schoolkids) featuring an approaching diesel railcar in the Daglish station underpass!

Some stations on the Armadale/Thornlie line also have murals done by kids from local primary schools.

A mural on that two-storey real-estate office building (how did they ever get permission to build that!) adjacent to Claremont station has a fantasy railway theme going back in time! (I actually saw them painting it.)

<smarTTrams> ... coming or going ... <smarTTrams>
Greens promise green trams for Perth
adx666

Post by adx666 »

My vote goes to these ones at Shenton Park, the one at Claremont doesnt do much for me, these ones however made me go back to my childhood.

I will have to follow city bus observers advice and have a look at that subway, will try and get some shots this weekend
<smarTTrams>

Mural also (not train-related) at Glendalough station

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Forgot to mention the very classy mural opposite the entrance to Glendalough station (Joondalup line), on the opposite side of Scarborough Beach Road.

It's very large, a real work of art, showing a merry-go-round viewed from below, so at first it may be difficult to work out exactly what it is. (It's the type of merry-go-round illustrated below that has seats hanging from chains so that they swing out once it gets up speed!)

(If image doesn't come up on your screen, go to http://images.blogskins.com/skin_images ... ms-1-1.jpg)

Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

It reminds me of the late 80's when City Of Gosnells was under attack by Grafitti Artists. A program was set up in prone areas, more so in Gosnells and Maddington where all bus stops and Gozzy Station were painted with murals. Unfortuantely however within 3-6 months the scribblers still thought it was better to write over it.

There is a differnce between grafitti and scribblers, Some grafitti work looks good to me, Writing things like Joe citizen waz ere '98 and tag names is just annoying!!!
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
adx666

Post by adx666 »

Art being authorised and graffiti being unauthorised I guess, although some graffiti looks quite good and some art looks like unauthorised graffiti. I always thought that wall along the freeway just past Stirling station inbound or just before it outbound looked like well painted graffiti. The fact that its been there for several years now probably means it was a commissioned piece!
City Bus Observer

Re: Mural also (not train-related) at Glendalough station

Post by City Bus Observer »

<smarTTrams> wrote:Forgot to mention the very classy mural opposite the entrance to Glendalough station (Joondalup line), on the opposite side of Scarborough Beach Road.

It's very large, a real work of art, showing a merry-go-round viewed from below, so at first it may be difficult to work out exactly what it is. (It's the type of merry-go-round illustrated below that has seats hanging from chains so that they swing out once it gets up speed!)

(If image doesn't come up on your screen, go to http://images.blogskins.com/skin_images ... ms-1-1.jpg)
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /skin_images/208/766/images/Merry_Go_Round_by_2PaperDreams-1-1.jpg on this server.
Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu) Server at images.blogskins.com Port 80
Bernard
<smarTTrams>

Post by <smarTTrams> »

City Bus Observer wrote:Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /skin_images/208/766/images/Merry_Go_Round_by_2PaperDreams-1-1.jpg on this server.
Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu) Server at images.blogskins.com Port 80
Sorry the image didn't work on your computer. Let's try again:

Still no image? Try this link:

http://anitra68.wikispaces.com/file/vie ... ms-1-1.jpg

In case that doesn't work either, here is a smaller image of this type of merry-go-round, City Bus Observer:

Also, this type of merry-go-round is featured on the cover of "Seven Days" (the TV and Entertainment magazine) in last Saturday's issue of The West Australian. In fact the cover photo is from the same angle as the mural at Glendalough! (But, The West, being The West, is too mean to put that image on their website in case it stops you from buying a copy of their lousy paper!)

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”