A 'pretend' Yellow City Clipper ...

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

A 'pretend' Yellow City Clipper ...

Post by panther998 »

A wee hint / taste of something (rather delightful) soon to emerge on the Perth bus preservation scene - a former MTT Hino RC520P that was never part of the innovative City Clipper bus fleet based at the long gone Causeway Depot in East Perth, but which the BPSWA is now in the process of transforming to represent one of the Hino RC520P buses that WAS one of two such units in the very first Yellow City Clipper livery, and which plied the streets of 'downtown' Perth in this guise for a good many years from 1973 .. ..
P1110027crcds.JPG
Lots more work remains to be done on this bus to finalise its representation of a very important phase in Perth's public transport history, so 'stay tuned' for further updates.
renaultartic
Favourite Vehicle: Merc 339 and Renault Artics

Re: A 'pretend' Yellow City Clipper ...

Post by renaultartic »

That's looking fantastic!! Can't wait for the final presentation.

Leigh.
Purring at City CATs. Driver of 635 buses over a 20 year period.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

Looking good, definatly great to see another old livery in preservation.
Maybe one day someone will preserve a bus in livery such as CityLink :) (although that would depend on whether a suitable bus entered preservation)
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Looks great, cant wait to see it finished!

Thanks for the update.
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

Is the middle door still 'fixed', or is it now operable?

Nice paint job, really shiny how they used to be, as represented on Herbie's website, unlike the matte finish these days...

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Thanks to all for your positive feedback.

tbc1983, the centre door is still fixed and likely to remain so for quite some time. Several parts, including some key ones affecting the safety interlock mechanism, are missing. While it most likely would be possible to source suitable replacements, the current concensus amongst the BPSWA 'boffins' is that there are many other more urgent / important repair and maintenance matters deserving higher priority for their attention / ministrations. Plus, Hino 83 has been plagued by air leak problems for a considerable time, with the last and worst of these only recently overcome - enabling the bus to be driven to Kewdale for its repaint. Understandably, there is a degree of resistance to the suggestion that the middle doors be returned to proper operational condition - they are opened / shut by a pneumatic piston, hence could become a source of another (unwanted) air leak problem.
:( :cry:

Part of the external 'detailing task' is to disguise the panel rivetted over the central join so that it appears (except up close) that the doors are 'per original spec'. Fingers crossed for a successful 'subterfuge'. I suspect I'm not alone in being averse to outright / blatant dishonesty, but I think a bit of 'eye deception' is sometimes justifiable / excusable, as in this instance .. ..
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

You stole my Thunder Panther 998 :P

Top stuff as always
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
panther998

Post by panther998 »

As promised, an update on progress with the transformation of 83 into City Clipper '933'.

Some 4 to 5 hours work on Tuesday resulted in much of the 'signs' element being completed - although the (fairly complex) MTT logos on each side remain to be done, plus some other minor / small signage. The 'lines' component is also quite well advanced, particularly at the front where only a few more 'eyebrows and whiskers' are needed. Hopefully, the next week or so will see the job completed satisfactorily.

A degree of 'persistent precipitation' on Tuesday prevented 83 /933 from leaving the shelter of the Depot for pix, but today the Hino was out and about transporting a group of interstate railway enthusiasts from their Perth hotel to Whiteman Park and a couple of other 'attractions' in the Swan Valley. Despite its unfinished state, the Hino attracted quite a bit of attention during its travels. Here are 3 shots taken during the proceedings which give an idea of its present condition.
P1110049crcds.JPG
Parked near the PETS Carbarn awaiting return of the enthusiast group from riding trams and steam trains .. ..
P1110050crcds.JPG
A 'tail' view from the opposite corner, also near the PETS Carbarn.
P1110051crcds.JPG
An offside front view taken later in the day, showing '933' basking in the sunshine of the 2nd day of Spring, at a vineyard along West Swan Road.

Enjoy!!
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Mmm. Nice bus!
Volgrunzel

Post by Volgrunzel »

Well Done to everyone involved. Certainly a very well turned out unit and great to hear it is actually allowed to go out on the road and carry passengers. Something which never seems to happen very often in Victoria nowadays (unless its a Grenda or Driver Group Heritage Vehicle). You guys in WA are very lucky to still have such a privilege and also have somewhere to restore and keep buses.

Well Done once again to the active members of the Bus Preservation Society of Western Australia.

Volgrunzel
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

Nice pics. I wish I could get back up to the BPSWA but now that I have full-time work, that's not really an option :(
panther998

Post by panther998 »

A couple of pix taken this afternoon (Tue 7th Sept), during a lull in the occasional rain showers, which will hopefully give interested ATDB members a reasonable idea of the very latest appearance of this bus.
P1110081crcds.JPG
P1110079crcds.JPG
Relatively little detail now remains to be completed - in order of importance :
1) MTT logos on both sides
2) skirt rail painting into 'aluminium' with black centre strip
3) disguise of centre door iimmobilisng' panel to represent a seemingly 'operable' door
4) fabrication and installation of a roof mounted MTT sign.

Hopefully, all but the last of these remaining details will be completed in the next few days and see 83 attain its 'pretend identity' as yellow City Clipper 933.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Looking good. Be interesting to see how it has changed when I visit late this month since I last visited.
<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Post by <smarTTrams> »

What was the idea behind having one "fixed glass" (not able to be opened) window on the off side?

Great idea to have a series of photos showing the progress of this restoration, panther998!

<smarTTrams> ... coming or going ... <smarTTrams>
Greens now with their foot in the door -- green trams for Perth for sure!
actually

Post by actually »

Its an emergency exit...push out...push in. That ol' girl looks just awesome!
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Latest update -
Apart from the distinguishing 'MTT' roof sign, only some relatively fine detail now remains to be completed, and which is unlikely to be obvious in the size of pix I am permitted to post / have been posting on this board.

This morning (15/09), the Hino (now pretty much regarded as Clipper 933) went for a brief trip from Whiteman Park to a service station in Malaga, to have several litres of diesel pumped into its fuel tank in preparation for its running this weekend. It was accompanied by Worldmaster 591, which will also be operating this Sunday, complete with an array of nicely re-upholstered seats. Both buses attracted considerable attention during their 'jaunt' - it is amazing how many folk seem to remember travelling on 'exactly' those buses in bygone years, usually as school students.

Just before 933 re-entered the 'cocoon' of the BPSWA Depot, I grabbed the opportunity to take the following shots.

'Posed near the Pool' - that's Mussel Pool, needless to say -
P1110106crcds.JPG
On the Depot approach road -
P1110107crcds.JPG
For those ATDB members who would like to see somewhat more detailled views - ie, BIGGER ones - have a look at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41378227@N ... 5/sizes/l/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/41378227@N ... 1/sizes/l/

By my count, that is now 8 images posted in this thread, so I will save my next and last update until the 'minor details' and the roof sign are in place. Hopefully, shots depicting nearside front and offside rear of '933' will then complete the set.
Naturally, there is always the possibility that another member will manage to 'steal the show' at the last minute ... ...
Which is OK - given that the prime aim is to illustrate the topic, it really doesn't matter which member(s) uploads 2x appropriate pix first (any more would, of course, exceed the 10 pix per thread limit), provided the images are of suitable quality, etc.
adx666

Post by adx666 »

Thanks for the update Panther998, now that it looks so great, it is hard to imagine that we arent looking at the real 933! :shock:
panther998

Post by panther998 »

ADX666 wrote:... now that it looks so great, it is hard to imagine that we aren't looking at the real 933! :shock:
A considerable and very much appreciated compliment, ADX666 - on behalf of the BPSWA team, many thanks indeed.

Btw, I really ought to have mentioned that the planned utilisation of '933' this weekend is for operation on the 'Lord Street Shuttle' service in Whiteman Park on both Sat 18/09 and Sun 19/09 (Thomas Tank Day). All camera toting bus enthusiasts* are welcome to 'lurk' in appropriate locations with the intent of securing pix of the Hino 'in service'. Saturday might be preferable to some over the 'crush /rush' of the big event on Sunday.

* = this does NOT extend to any idiot / nincompoop / twit who claims / regards himself / herself to be a 'gunzel' - this is one of the most ridiculous, illogical and totally insane / useless terms for describing a bus enthusiast ever devised / dreamt up, (imnsho) - ie, gun-zel = a fool or zealot possessing an (unhealthy?) affinity for GUNS -
- but definitely NOT relating to buses in any positive way, shape or form !!!
Last edited by panther998 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

For those who are wondering: 83's first trip will leave Lord Street Gate at 09:07, then 09:50 from Revolutions.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
adx666

Post by adx666 »

83??? Surely you mean 933 :lol:
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Bus-1809 wrote:For those who are wondering: 83's first trip will leave Lord Street Gate at 09:07, then 09:50 from Revolutions.
That is on Sunday 19th, of course.
First trip on Saturday 18th is around 09:55 from Lord Street Gate - depends on when the outbound 336 gets there. Subsequent departures ex Lord St are at approx 11:30, 13:00 and 14:30.
Approx times at Revolutions are 10:05, 11:37, 13:07, 14:37 and 16:10.
Departures ex Whiteman Village are at 10:02 (approx arrival), 11:45, 13:15, 14:45 and 16:15, with times ex Caversham Wildlife Park typically being 5 minutes after the Village ones.
The times on Sundays are completely different due to the 336 having a different pattern from Saturdays.
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

panther998 wrote:The times on Sundays are completely different due to the 336 having a different pattern from Saturdays.
So, imitating TP Sunday TT just makes it all more realisitc, eh? :wink:

BTW, keep up the good work, panther998!

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
panther998

Post by panther998 »

tbc1983 wrote:
panther998 wrote:The times on Sundays are completely different due to the 336 having a different pattern from Saturdays.
So, imitating TP Sunday TT just makes it all more realistic, eh? :wink:
I hadn't actually thought of it in terms of 'realism', tbc1983, but certainly have to agree with you!

BPSWA runs the Lord St shuttle service to meet certain requirements specified by Whiteman Park management. The main one is to make suitable connections with 336F and 336T trips passing the Park between approx 10:00 and 17:00 on Saturdays and Sundays. In effect, formal / rostered connections. The BPS drivers work to what is basically a printed worksheet that sets out the times for the various departure /arrival points. Unlike drivers employed by TP contractor companies, BPS drivers have a fair degree of leeway / discretion as to appropriate action in certain 'events'. After all, there is no 'all-knowing Radio Control' to refer to for clarification / guidance / instructions, etc - although a portable two-way radio (supplied by the Park and attuned to its frequency) is carried, mainly for emergency use.

For example, if nil pax have boarded the bus (despite being afforded ample opportunity to do so!) for a given trip ex Village / Wildlife Park to the Gate, then there is obviously minimal or nil advantage to operating it. The driver is then at liberty to decide whether to layover at the Village bus stop, or at the BPSWA Depot, or wherever, provided that the next trip on the sheet can and will be operated to schedule.

Tea Pee's intended upgrade of its Ellenbrook services in late October will necessitate a revamp of the BPSWA 'shifts' to maintain the connections. The increased weekend frequency will probably mean that, like the Swan Transit drivers, BPSWA drivers on the shuttle service will have little spare time to scratch their collective 'rump areas'. So - probably even more realism !! Just hope it's not too much for some BPS volunteers to cope with ... ...

(Note to Admin - my apologies if I have wandered a bit off-topic (viz, a 'wannabe City Clipper'), but I felt that the point made had merit, was somewhat pertinent / of interest to other members, and deserved a response. If I have transgressed ATDB rules in some way, I will be happy to retract or modify the above post.)
The Bell Tower

Post by The Bell Tower »

There is no need to construct the roof "MTT" sign - see Pat Hallahan - he has an original roof mounted sign waiting to be put in situ - only needs a coat of paint first. I see no need to hoodwink or pretend outerwise to the public - there should be information inside the bus showing its history and why it has been painted Clipper yellow.
panther998

Post by panther998 »

Latest status is that llning and signage is now pretty much complete, apart from the roof MTT sign. The Hino was used on the Lord Street courtesy shuttle service on Saturday 02/10 - a photo will appear in the next issue of Rattler (BPSWA newsletter) due out later in October.
Sneak preview for ATDB afficiandos -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41378227@N04/5049911267/
The Bell Tower wrote:There is no need to construct the roof "MTT" sign - see Pat Hallahan - he has an original roof mounted sign waiting to be put in situ - only needs a coat of paint first.
Much as I hate to, I really must correct you on this point, Mr Tower. There IS definitely a need to fabricate a 'MTT' sign to be placed on the roof of 83 / 933 in order to complete the transformation.
Why ? A very reasonable question, which I will endeavour to answer.

As an active participant in the transformation process of 83 and very long term member of BPSWA / BMWA / WATM, I was aware of the existence of a roof mounted sign from the 1970s in the BPSWA collection, and approached Pat Hallahan as to its whereabouts during a recent Tuesday workday (14/09). However, I was very certain that the sign was lettered EXPRESS and, after he searched through the appropriate areas of the archive, Pat did indeed produce such a gem, bless him. True to my recollection, it bears the word EXPRESS - and was also in somewhat poor condition. The 'perimeter frame' that supports the aluminium mesh to which the letters are attached was badly broken in one place and a section missing in another. Most assuredly defects that 'a coat of paint' would never rectify satisfactorily - but the sign has since been repaired by a member and looks very good, albeit with inappropriate letters for use on 933.

Please bear in mind that the sign in question was 'rescued' by a WATM / BMWA member over 25 years ago from a drum full of scrap metal that was about to depart from the Kensington Street Workshops, bound for the melting pot. It was only ever intended as a potential exhibit, NOT for installation on a bus. However, it is serving admirably as a template for one of BPSWA's more skilled metal-workers to fabricate a new 'perimeter frame' that can then support new mesh and the letters M T T (rather than EXPRESS) in similar style to that carried by the 3 original City Clipper buses in 1973/74 (932, 933, 969). Once this work is complete, probably later in October, BPSWA's aspiration is that Hino 83 will then present an appearance approximating, albeit not 100% accurately, one of the trio of buses that comprised the City Clipper 'fleet' soon after the inception of that highly innovative, much imitated / envied service.
The Bell Tower wrote:I see no need to hoodwink or pretend otherwise to the public -
Some Board members might find this hard to believe, but I do agree with you - up to a point ... ..
Personally, I would much rather see 83 restored to its original cream over green (MTTb) livery. Even more so, Leyland Panther 988. And 171 in the off-white over green livery it bore when delivered new to the MTT in 1977 would be hugely more convincing to the general public as being a preserved bus than it does in its current ghastly Transperth scheme.

That said, I must also voice my strong disagreement with a view representing somewhat the opposite end of the scale, as expounded by a few (misguided, imho) individuals - namely that the BPSWA's AEC Regal III ex MTT 378 should be restored and painted in either Beam or Emu (I'm a wee bit unclear as to which) livery. To me, that is a patently absurd suggestion, for several good reasons. Which, I am fairly sure, are already familiar to many ATDB and BPSWA members, so I won't go even further off-topic by elaborating on them here.

However, there is no denying a perception by many that the collection features predominantly green buses and needs a few in other colours to represent those liveries which were once to be seen on Perth's bus routes and elsewhere in the State. There are some examples, such as Kalamunda AEC 17, Riverton Worldmaster 8, WA Gov't Railways DP90, but more buses in other colourful liveries are desirable, partly for 'historical record' reasons and partly to help the general public to differentiate what can seem to be 'identical' looking buses. Hence the use of MTT Hino 83 as a representative of the former City Clipper fleet, complete with 'genuine' number 933. And hence a subsequent suggestion that Mercedes 171 be repainted to represent one of the many MTT buses that wore red CityLink livery in the 1980s.
The Bell Tower wrote:- there should be information inside the bus showing its history and why it has been painted Clipper yellow.
Again, I fully agree. But there are only so many hours available in each day - and so many other tasks to be done. But this one will get done - hopefully, sometime in the near future.

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”