Countess II - PHOTOS ADDED

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Herbert

Countess II - PHOTOS ADDED

Post by Herbert »

After 40 years service, Countess II is to be retired from Transperth Ferries (see http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =7&t=41681 - and thanks to TP 3000 for the link).

Here's some views of it from 1978 - note those Beclawat windows...

... which were lost when it was refurbished in the early 1990s:

One wonders just how many times it performed the Perth-South Perth trip!

Courtesy of Dennis96, here's some more views of Countess II:

At Barrack St Jetty in 1973:

On a winter's evening in July 1986 - twilight days of the MTT name & logo as well:

After the introduction of the trading name "Transperth", buses were green, trains were red, and ferries were blue. This October 1990 view also shows that the refurb must have been carried out in the early 1990s, rather than the late 1980s are reported elsewhere:

August 2005:
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
actually

Re: Countess II

Post by actually »

heres a photo I took on about 04/09/06.
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

Countess II looked alright before when it had the four part beclawat sliding windows fitted to it. Maybe the reason for fitting two part sliding windows was to make the boat look more modern?
Member 1269

Post by Member 1269 »

Does anyone know if the Countess is still moored at Barrack St?

I might head down later and take some piccies of the new arrival.
Herbert

Re: Countess II - PHOTOS ADDED

Post by Herbert »

5 more photos added above, thanks to Dennis96.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

That photo way back in July 1986 of Countess II with the MTT logo on the front of it is a classic.
Dennis96

Post by Dennis96 »

Photos 1, 2 and 8 were taken when the MV Countess II was used on weekend afternoon tours upstream as far as Bassendean, maybe even Guildford. She was fitted with lamps above the front windows although I am not aware trips upstream were made at night, unless private hires. Hard to see, but visible in the 1973 shot is a tripod mast that had navigation lights. This was removed soon afterwards to allow her to clear the Causeway and Garratt Road bridges.

I had forgotten how many changes were made to this vessel until perusing Herbert's thread and then digging out some of my shots.

Just goes to prove that one should be out there with the camera consistently. Today's photograph of transport is tomorrow's history.
Passengers must not talk to Driver
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Post by panther998 »

Dennis96 wrote:Photos 1, 2 and 8 were taken when the MV Countess II was used on weekend afternoon tours upstream as far as Bassendean, maybe even Guildford. She was fitted with lamps above the front windows although I am not aware trips upstream were made at night, unless private hires. Hard to see, but visible in the 1973 shot is a tripod mast that had navigation lights. This was removed soon afterwards to allow her to clear the Causeway and Garratt Road bridges.
According to the 1 Feb 1983 issue of the MTT Route Map :
  • MV Countess sails 2pm daily except Saturdays, September to May, for a 2¾ hour cruise to Ron Courtney Island and the upper reaches of the Swan River. The fully enclosed Countess is air cooled for your comfort and light refreshments and afternoon teas are available.
I'm not sure exactly how far upstream Countess could reach, but the Point Reserve jetties in Bassendean seem very likely. Although I've yet to find any documented references, I have a nagging, but uncertain recollection that some MTT ferry charters got as far up the Swan as Caversham House - whether these were accomplished by Countess or the smaller MV Georgette, or if any extended into hours of darkness, eludes my dim memory of this aspect of MTT operations.

Then again, I have an even vaguer notion that the 'tidal' (or navigable?) section of the Swan expires somewhere around the Middle Swan Road bridge area. If this is correct, then it is conceivable that an MTT ferry voyaged some way beyond Ron Courtney Island (opposite Garvey Park, Ascot), Bassendean, Guildford or Caversham at some stage.
Borough2007

Post by Borough2007 »

HI - I live in Forster NSW and have been trying to track all the ferries that have operated or built here. The MV Bardoo was built by Alf Jahnsen in Forster in 1981. After a brief period at Port Hacking (Sydney) she was taken by truck to Perth and then as I understand it was named MV Georgette operated by the MTT - launched onto the Swan River on 5th July 1984. I understand that she was named after Georgette Adams who died in 2016. If anyone has a photo of the MV Georgette or any information on how she was used and when she was retired from service that would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Borough
Forster

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”