O-Bahn Tunnel Walk

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tim Williams

O-Bahn Tunnel Walk

Post by Tim Williams »

P1110082.jpg
P1110068.jpg
P1110066.jpg
P1110060.jpg
P1110053.jpg
Photos from today's walk - it doesn't seem all that long a tunnel for all the mess and disruption during construction and not to mention the cost of $160m. I wonder if the tunnel had not been built and tram line not extended, if the rail electrification could have been completed - makes more sense to me!

The view looking out of the tunnel is of the northern portal and I must say that the preserved O-Bahn Mercedes 0305 looks wonderful - the paint job seems better than a lot of the modern "in service" buses.
Tim Williams

Re: O-Bahn Tunnel Walk

Post by Tim Williams »

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (131.12 KiB) Viewed 8817 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 8817 times
This is today's little leaflet -self promotion from the SA Gov't and Construction Engineers.

The shame about this whole tunnel saga is that an old tram embankment which still existed (prior to tunnel works), could have carried a single lane of O-Bahn track from almost Hackney Rd to Grenfell St for "to city" buses in the mornings and "from city" in afternoons - linking up with this could have been a single O-Bahn (reversible direction) track down the centre of Hackney Rd to the dedicated track and the use priority traffic lights could could have similarly speeded up the O-Bahn at a fraction of the tunnel cost. Also, if the Gov't/Dept of Transport had not fallen out with Mercedes Benz, perhaps a better quality of more suitable buses would be trundling up and down track at the original 100Kph.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

Tim Williams wrote:linking up with this could have been a single O-Bahn (reversible direction) track down the centre of Hackney Rd to the dedicated track and the use priority traffic lights could could have similarly speeded up the O-Bahn at a fraction of the tunnel cost.
And I imagine the opposition would have had a (rather hypocritical) field day with that.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

This is probably a stupid question, but why have a tunnel under the parks in the brochure, why not put a bus only road (not the o-bahn there) through the park to connect with DeQue-whatever-named Terrace it is?

Surely that would've more logical.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Because people would complain about the space of the parklands being taken up by a bus-only road. Plus the idea of a tunnel is to skip a few sets of traffic lights, which is something that the bus-only road wouldn't really be able to do.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”