O-Bahn Construction Photos

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
kupkes

O-Bahn Construction Photos

Post by kupkes »

I have been lurking around this site for a number of years but have been surprised recently by the lack of O-Bahn construction photos.

Not sure if this is because it is photos of an infrastructure project rather than being photos of buses or because there was some rule which I missed prevented posting of the images (in either of these cases I am happy for this post to be deleted), but I thought some people might be interested in having a (slightly out of date) look at the construction effort.

These photos were taken earlier in the year (Feb 2017 - when the tunnel was still being excavated). My phone died a painful death soon after, but just came across the photos synced to my dropbox. No doubt anyone who has gone past the site recently has noticed construction has progressed a lot since this time!

Photos were taken of the tunnel between Botanic Road and the Grenfell Street Entrance.

Full Size
Photo near botanic road end of the project showing steel piles at the sides of the tunnels with the concrete lid on top to the left. To the left was 'cut and cover'.

Full Size
Photo further south from the first. This shows the transition from the steel piles to the cut and cover.

A few more photos in this area
Link and Full Size
Link and Full Size
Link and Full Size

Full Size
Full Size
Looking each way from the bottom of the tunnel.

Closer look at the transition point and Full Size

Full Size
Full Size
Further north in the tunnel. Not visible in the first photo (due to backlight) but the second photo shows them getting close to digging under the Hackney Road intersection. At this point the 'metal piles' were in, and the concrete lid was on top, so they just had to remove the dirt.

Another shot north showing pumps and Full Size

Full Size
Wall construction in the cut and cover section. The gentleman in the blue hard hat (second from left) was one of the engineers on the original Northern Busway project.

Full Size
This is in the cut and cover section of the tunnel looking toward Grenfell Street. To the left is one of the emergency exits.

Full Size
Another photo looking toward Grenfell Street. The large pipes to the left are fire, with the valves just visible near the centre of the photo.

Full Size
Photo of the Grenfell street entry.

Let me know if the orientation of any of the photos is incorrect. I must have been holding the phone upside-down, and the photos lost the auto-rotate when I resized them.
MrNicoster
Favourite Vehicle: Merc O305/G - MAN NL202/11.190

Re: O-Bahn Construction Photos

Post by MrNicoster »

Great photos! Its a unique perspective to see the inside of the tunnel whilst under construction.

Thanks for sharing :)
Regards,
Mr Nicoster.

KickingDown around the suburbs with an NL202 and speeding down the O-Bahn in a Merc!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Re: O-Bahn Construction Photos

Post by TA3001 »

Nice pics. I'd suggest renaming this thread to something like O'bahn tunnel construction photos. Otherwise the title could be potentially misleading.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”