Adelaide History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 8

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
leyland4ever

Adelaide History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 8

Post by leyland4ever »

614  Daimler Roadliner  Montifiore Hill  1969
614 Daimler Roadliner Montifiore Hill 1969
704  Langs Depot 85  Station S Road  Richmond  1-77
704 Langs Depot 85 Station S Road Richmond 1-77
714  Slatterys AECs ex 700 series,  White-Lewis 7115,  Comet-Lewis 7119
714 Slatterys AECs ex 700 series, White-Lewis 7115, Comet-Lewis 7119
724  Harcourt Gardens Commer Avenger Perkins  7807
724 Harcourt Gardens Commer Avenger Perkins 7807
734  Bridgland Depot 72  1-77
734 Bridgland Depot 72 1-77
Three of these are part of a series of photos taken of private depots in January 1977, just before they were closed, and the buses dispersed to Morphettville and Hackney Depots - we'll see the rest as we go along - I think pretty well all the private depots are covered.

Harcourt Gardens Commer - I think this is taken in the old ETSA yard on Grand Junction Road, where many ex MTT buses spent their last days awaiting sale - it looks rather lonely, so it must have been an early withdrawal.

And, I can't help but point out that standing on the forecourt of Bridgland's depot is none other than one of Adelaide's famous buses - the legendary Daimler Freeline, purchased as a prototype for the 3-door fleet in 1953, but rejected as being rather slow, and with a high floor level, requiring an extra step compared to AEC and Leyland underfloors. It was sold to Bridglands in 1957, where it spent years shuffling backwards and forwards from Dover Gardens etc to Victoria Square, only to end up back with the MTT in 1974! The MTT did a bit of work on it - repanelled it etc, and painted it in the MTT version of Bridgland's gold colour scheme (and sadly replaced the original rear window with a sheet of Perspex!) It was an early withdrawal once the B59s started arriving, and was withdrawn for the last time in mid 1978.

And doesn't 201 look good! It was a very neat and uncluttered design - pity the mechanical performance didn't match!

Cheers

Trevor
paulgersche

Re: Adelaide History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 8

Post by paulgersche »

Trevor,

Can you remember where the Bridgland's depot was?

I know that Slattery's was at the end of Douglas Place, Payneham South.

Regards,
Paul
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Yes - Bridgland's depot was right near the Oaklands Railway crossing, just to the south - you could get a clear view of Bridgland's buses from the train!

The original depot would now be right in the middle of the redesigned road junction where Diagonal Road and Morphett Road now meet on the southern side of the railway line.

I'm trying to remember when that crossing was upgraded - I'm not sure whether the photo is after or before the upgrade.

There was also a fenced yard on the opposite side of the road (almost where the photographer is standing), where buses were parked.

Cheers, Trevor
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Hi Trevor,
When I was first married we lived in a flat in Bray St Plympton Park (close to the little line of shops) and along that street came Bridgelands - the fleet was a motley bunch, but I used to love travelling to town on their No 5, the wonderful Daimler Freeline; yes it was a high floored bus, but fascinating! The bus route to town turned left from Bray St into Ferry Avenue - a difficult road containing some notoriously deep "spoon drains". They certainly slowed traffic down and Bridgelands buses had to be sufficiently high with only modest overhangs at the front and rear to navigate the road. The spoon drains disappeared many years ago and now Adelaide Metro low floor buses happily travel along there all day long.

Campbell's depot was in Marion Road, close to the end of Bray Street - I regarded their fleet as vastly superior to Bridgelands being made up of only two types - AEC Reliances (the older buses) and Hinos, both with Freighter bodies, providing a very tidy and consistent appearance.

I was trying to remember the address of Thomas Tours depot. It was, I think, in the Colonel Light Gardens area and there was some sort of a water run off drain near where the buses were parked - do you know the address?

Thanks,

Tim.
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Hello Tim,

I don't remember the exact address, but your description is right.

I purchased their last Bedford SB3 in 1972, and caught the Westbourne Park bus (route 20) to collect it. I think the 20 ran along Prince George Ave, or a similar name, and the street was off to the east, about half way between Grange Road and Springbank Road, and I definitely remember the drain also!

I must take a drive up there - I reckon I could find it again, but it might take a while!

Only about a year before the Government takeover, they moved to a very nice yard on Goodwood Road, almost directly west of the old depot.

Cheers,

Trevor
nscaler69

Post by nscaler69 »

I believe it was on Hasting Rd, C.L.G.
Anagram: Timetable - bet I'm late

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”