MAN SL202s (Pt. 2)

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

MAN SL202s (Pt. 2)

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

With the imminent removal of the MAN SL202s, I thought I'd share some photos of them. The photos in Part One are all from the holidays, taken on King William St, North Tce, Currie St and a few at Marion S/C and Blackwood Station.
The MAN SL202 was the last high-floor chassis delivered to Adelaide, and the diesel ones (in the 420-440 range) are ex-O-Bahn (except for 443, which occasionally sees track work).
Buses 421-445 used to be numbered 1321-1345; 840-899 used to be 1600, 1641-1699. 1601-1640 are still in use today, and retain their original numbers. All renumbered vehicles were renumbered by Serco, an ex-Adelaide Metro contractor, who (for some reason) didn't like 4-digit numbers.

The first bus delivered was bus 1321, then all the diesel ones (i.e until 1345). Next came the CNG ones, starting at 1601 through to 1699, finishing with 1600. All 16xx/8xx units are CNG, whereas the 13xx/4xx are Diesel.

Currently these vehicles are spread between Torrens Transit and Light-City Buses.

I was given a tip-off that #421 ay be getting removed in the next few weeks, so went down to town yesterday (Friday) and waiting at the corner of Frome St and North Tce for around 1/2 taking photos. At around 5:25PM I gave up and went to stop R1 North Tce to wait for the next high-floor to take me to Currie St. TO my extreme luck it was #421, so I not only got photos of it, but a 10min ride on it as well. I hope that it is not removed in the next few weeks though.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #847 is running Not In Service through Light Sq, presumably to stop B2 Putney St to start a 163/167/168/J1 service. #847 is from Camden Park depot and is in service with Torrens Transit.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #847 is running Not In Service through Light Sq, presumably to stop B2 Putney St to start a 163/167/168/J1 service. #847 is from Camden Park depot and is in service with Torrens Transit.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #856 is pulling into a zone at Marion S/C to start a 300G to Glenelg. #856 is from Morphettville depot and is in  service with Light-City Buses.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #856 is pulling into a zone at Marion S/C to start a 300G to Glenelg. #856 is from Morphettville depot and is in service with Light-City Buses.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #882 is starting a 200B to the City from Zone A Marion Interchange. #882 is from Morphettville depot and is in service with Light-City Buses.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #882 is starting a 200B to the City from Zone A Marion Interchange. #882 is from Morphettville depot and is in service with Light-City Buses.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #859 is on route H23 to Auldana, pondering it's fate. #859 is from Mile End depot and is in service with Torrens Transit.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #859 is on route H23 to Auldana, pondering it's fate. #859 is from Mile End depot and is in service with Torrens Transit.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #859 is on route H23 to Auldana, picking up passengers at stop E1 Currie St. #859 is from Mile End depot and is in service with Torrens Transit.
MAN SL202 CNG/PMC #859 is on route H23 to Auldana, picking up passengers at stop E1 Currie St. #859 is from Mile End depot and is in service with Torrens Transit.
MAN SL202/PMC #426 is on route 150 to Osborne, running past the RAH on North Tce. #426 is from Port Adelaide depot and is in service with Torrens Transit. It is an ex-O-Bahn unit.
MAN SL202/PMC #426 is on route 150 to Osborne, running past the RAH on North Tce. #426 is from Port Adelaide depot and is in service with Torrens Transit. It is an ex-O-Bahn unit.
MAN SL202/PMC #421 and Scania K230UB/CB60 Evo II #1274 are revving their engines for a drag race down North Tce (not really). #1274 is on route M44 to Marion, is at Morphettville depot and is in service with Light-City Buses. #421 is on route X30 to  West Lakes, is from Port Adelaide depot and is in service with Torrens Transit. It is an ex-O-Bahn unit.
MAN SL202/PMC #421 and Scania K230UB/CB60 Evo II #1274 are revving their engines for a drag race down North Tce (not really). #1274 is on route M44 to Marion, is at Morphettville depot and is in service with Light-City Buses. #421 is on route X30 to West Lakes, is from Port Adelaide depot and is in service with Torrens Transit. It is an ex-O-Bahn unit.
MAN SL202/PMC #421 is pulling into stop R1 North Tce outside the RAH on route X30 to West Lakes. #421 is from Port Adelaide depot and is in service with Torrens Transit. It is an ex-O-Bahn unit.
MAN SL202/PMC #421 is pulling into stop R1 North Tce outside the RAH on route X30 to West Lakes. #421 is from Port Adelaide depot and is in service with Torrens Transit. It is an ex-O-Bahn unit.
MAN SL202/PMC #421 heading off into the sunset down Currie St, to West Lakes. The sunset was really good and added to this photo a lot. #421 was a nice bus to ride on, I only hope I can do it again next school holidays.
MAN SL202/PMC #421 heading off into the sunset down Currie St, to West Lakes. The sunset was really good and added to this photo a lot. #421 was a nice bus to ride on, I only hope I can do it again next school holidays.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Data on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Re: MAN SL202s (Pt. 2)

Post by Diesel_MAN »

I actually saw 421 doing that 'X30' yesterday. I thought that 859 was at Mile End depot, but as it happens, the last time I knew it was at Mile End is a day before the Fleet Lists changed the data for it. It will be a shame when 421 is retired.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote:I actually saw 421 doing that 'X30' yesterday. 859 is actually at Mile End depot, but great work otherwise. It will be a shame when 421 is retired.
Thanks for that, I was only going by what Fleetlsits says, having no other knowledge of shifts or drivers from Torrens. Original post edited.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
Diesel_MAN wrote:I actually saw 421 doing that 'X30' yesterday. 859 is actually at Mile End depot, but great work otherwise. It will be a shame when 421 is retired.
Thanks for that, I was only going by what Fleetlsits says, having no other knowledge of shifts or drivers from Torrens. Original post edited.
I ended up editing my post too, because I realised that my last observation of 859 may now be obsolete. 860 was definitely at Mile End too, but it looks like I may have to reconfirm that too. On a different note, have you gotten a ride on 426? I personally consider it to be one of the best buses to catch out of all of the buses with the three contractors.
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote: I ended up editing my post too, because I realised that my last observation of 859 may now be obsolete. 860 was definitely at Mile End too, but it looks like I may have to reconfirm that too. On a different note, have you gotten a ride on 426? I personally consider it to be one of the best buses to catch across all three contractors.
No, my SL202 rides are extremely limited. I rode on 435 last holidays (MAY), 444 and 897 this holidays (JULY), 430 and 421 yesterday aaaaand... I think that's it. Hopefully this will change next holidays.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

444 and 897 are a couple of unusual ones, so you're doing well considering you're not even in Torrens Transit or Light-City Buses' contract region. 435 is one of the better ones with Voith transmission too. By the way, 444 sounds almost exactly like 432 would if it was healthy.
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote:444 and 897 are a couple of unusual ones, so you're doing well considering you're not even in Torrens Transit or Light-City Buses' contract region. 435 is one of the better ones with Voith transmission too. By the way, 444 sounds almost exactly like 432 would if it was healthy.
Well, 444 was ridden from Oaklands Station to Marion Interchange, not exactly a long way. 897 was a half-decent ride, from Currie St to Kensington Gardens (stop 16B The Parade). 435 was a long ride, from Largs Bay terminus to Adelaide Station. 430 was only along North Tce (Bank St to RAH), and 421 was from the RAH to Light Sq.

As you can see, generally my rides aren't long. Still, better to have ridden them a bit than not at all.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Diesel_MAN wrote:444 and 897 are a couple of unusual ones, so you're doing well considering you're not even in Torrens Transit or Light-City Buses' contract region. 435 is one of the better ones with Voith transmission too. By the way, 444 sounds almost exactly like 432 would if it was healthy.
Well, 444 was ridden from Oaklands Station to Marion Interchange, not exactly a long way. 897 was a half-decent ride, from Currie St to Kensington Gardens (stop 16B The Parade). 435 was a long ride, from Largs Bay terminus to Adelaide Station. 430 was only along North Tce (Bank St to RAH), and 421 was from the RAH to Light Sq.

As you can see, generally my rides aren't long. Still, better to have ridden them a bit than not at all.
It definitely is better to have at least ridden them in the first place. At least you have many great photos of them. It'll be good to see a record of their time in service when they're finally withdrawn from service, which hopefully isn't anytime soon.
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote: It definitely is better to have at least ridden them in the first place. At least you have many great photos of them. It'll be good to see a record of their time in service when they're finally withdrawn from service, which hopefully isn't anytime soon.
Thanks, although I have many crap photos of them as well. My camera doesn't like fast moving objects, which make blurry pics. Also, there was a lot on traffic congestion on North Tce yesterday, so many photos are ruined by inconsiderate car drivers stopping in between my camera and an SL202 :evil: :lol:

Next holidays I hope to ride and record (and photograph) a whole load of SL202s.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Diesel_MAN wrote: It definitely is better to have at least ridden them in the first place. At least you have many great photos of them. It'll be good to see a record of their time in service when they're finally withdrawn from service, which hopefully isn't anytime soon.
Thanks, although I have many crap photos of them as well. My camera doesn't like fast moving objects, which make blurry pics. Also, there was a lot on traffic congestion on North Tce yesterday, so many photos are ruined by inconsiderate car drivers stopping in between my camera and an SL202 :evil: :lol:

Next holidays I hope to ride and record (and photograph) a whole load of SL202s.
The traffic was rather bad yesterday. Hopefully you can find 443 on an O-Bahn route next time. It'd be great to have a photo of it on the O-Bahn, but then that would mean that I wouldn't be on board if I was taking the photo.
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote: The traffic was rather bad yesterday. Hopefully you can find 443 on an O-Bahn route next time. It'd be great to have a photo of it on the O-Bahn, but then that would mean that I wouldn't be on board if I was taking the photo.
You could ride it to Paradise or TTP, then with knowledge of what it's doing next (i.e outbound 548 will do inbound C2, or just try and read the driver's run sheet, or even just ask the driver) make your way to a trackside photo location (I have no idea of anywhere, although there is the linear park footpath/cycleway. I have ridden it (the path) a few times, I'm sure there's somewhere on it which would be suitable). The you can have your cake and eat it too! :)

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”