SouthLink #3269

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

SouthLink #3269

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

As people are probably starting to realise, bus #3269 is my favourite. This is for a number of reasons, including the extra padding on all of the seats, the lack of rattles, the (seemingly) extra power it puts out and it's slightly different look on the outside. There are also a number of small reasons as well.

Anyway, so after I went to Blackwood, Campbelltown, Paradise, Marion and Seacombe Heights, I was browsing TransitTimes at home. It just so happened that 3269 was doing the 894 shift (16:20 866, 16:50 894, 17:21 894S, 17:50 894, 18:21 894). I first saw this at around 16:20, so I jumped up, grabbed my camera and headed off to my local bus stop to make the last inbound 865. I made this, and to my delight it was run by bus #3271 (another old one), and driven by an enthusiast driver (well known to gunnels in the Hills).

After I boarded #3269, I got chatting with the driver, and it turns out he likes the older ones. He said he doesn't feel you get the same level of control in CB80s, whereas 3269 (which has a heavy accelerator) you feel more in control of the vehicle. He said CB80s are fine for City work, but shouldn't be in the Hills (which happens to be my opinion as well). It turns out that prior to him getting 3269 for the shift, there wasn't a single bus on track at Aldgate. Dispatch told him to ask the workshops, who said he could have 3219 or 3269. For this driver it was like "hmmm, let me think. 219 (3219) or 269 (3269)... I think I'll take 269 (3269)."

Anyway, enough talk, here are some photos from the 894 and 894S at Stirling, Crafers and Blackwood. Enjoy and feel free to comment, I certainly enjoyed the day (not just this part), so I hope these photos are enjoyed as well. :D
First up is Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3271. After finishing the 865 at stop 36A, it has to go to the "2nd roundabout" in Stirling (outside the Library) and do a u-turn to get back to the main stop (36 Mt Barker Rd, west side, zone B)
First up is Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3271. After finishing the 865 at stop 36A, it has to go to the "2nd roundabout" in Stirling (outside the Library) and do a u-turn to get back to the main stop (36 Mt Barker Rd, west side, zone B)
And now onto  the 3269 shots. This one is when it had pulled into 36 Mt Barker Rd starting it's first 894. I was the only passenger for the whole of this run.
And now onto the 3269 shots. This one is when it had pulled into 36 Mt Barker Rd starting it's first 894. I was the only passenger for the whole of this run.
Here is an interior shot (front to back), showing off it's superior lighting and seats. As you can see, many of the seat covers have been replaced, and I would hazard a guess of that being the reason it was in the workshops. This was taken with the driver's permission, as were all the shots from these runs.
Here is an interior shot (front to back), showing off it's superior lighting and seats. As you can see, many of the seat covers have been replaced, and I would hazard a guess of that being the reason it was in the workshops. This was taken with the driver's permission, as were all the shots from these runs.
3269, a Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L, is now waiting for a City connection (or a radio call saying no-one wants the 894) at Crafers Park'n'Ride. The latter happened, so we left on time.
3269, a Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L, is now waiting for a City connection (or a radio call saying no-one wants the 894) at Crafers Park'n'Ride. The latter happened, so we left on time.
This shot shows off 3269's side desto. As you can see, it is placed further back than most others, giving gunzels a more comfortable ride (because there is a window ledge to rest your arm on in the front seat, not a desto box). This was taken while waiting at Crafers park'n'ride for the City connector.
This shot shows off 3269's side desto. As you can see, it is placed further back than most others, giving gunzels a more comfortable ride (because there is a window ledge to rest your arm on in the front seat, not a desto box). This was taken while waiting at Crafers park'n'ride for the City connector.
Another interior shot, this time from back to front. It shows off the rear of the seats, not the plastic like on most others, but a metal panel instead.
Another interior shot, this time from back to front. It shows off the rear of the seats, not the plastic like on most others, but a metal panel instead.
3269 is waiting at Blackwood Station for another connection, this time the Belair train. Unusually, it was on time, so we left on time (after one passenger joined us).
3269 is waiting at Blackwood Station for another connection, this time the Belair train. Unusually, it was on time, so we left on time (after one passenger joined us).
Another angle of 3269, this time it is looking off into the distance at the level crossing, wondering how long this train will be.
Another angle of 3269, this time it is looking off into the distance at the level crossing, wondering how long this train will be.
Which would you rather? Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3269, or Scania K280UB/Custom Coaches CB80 #1815? (Just ignore that they are going in completely opposite directions, 3269 to Stirling via Upper Sturt on route 894S, and 1815 to Marion via Bellevue Heights on route 601).
Which would you rather? Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3269, or Scania K280UB/Custom Coaches CB80 #1815? (Just ignore that they are going in completely opposite directions, 3269 to Stirling via Upper Sturt on route 894S, and 1815 to Marion via Bellevue Heights on route 601).
My last shot was another night shot (or dusk shot) in Stirling, while 3269 is waiting for time to pass before it leaves for Blackwood once more. It's last run will take it all the way back to Aldgate. After this I had 3277 for my 865 home.
My last shot was another night shot (or dusk shot) in Stirling, while 3269 is waiting for time to pass before it leaves for Blackwood once more. It's last run will take it all the way back to Aldgate. After this I had 3277 for my 865 home.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Re: SouthLink #3269

Post by Hawkeye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Which would you rather? Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3269, or Scania K280UB/Custom Coaches CB80 #1815? (Just ignore that they are going in completely opposite directions, 3269 to Stirling via Upper Sturt on route 894S, and 1815 to Marion via Bellevue Heights on route 601).
You know me, I would choose the CB80 but that's just my opinion. Others may stay way clear of the vehicle, while others wouldn't mind it. Anyhow, great shots of your favourite rig :)
Lt. Commander Data

Hawkeye wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:Which would you rather? Scania L94UB/Volgren CR224L #3269, or Scania K280UB/Custom Coaches CB80 #1815? (Just ignore that they are going in completely opposite directions, 3269 to Stirling via Upper Sturt on route 894S, and 1815 to Marion via Bellevue Heights on route 601).
You know me, I would choose the CB80 but that's just my opinion. Others may stay way clear of the vehicle, while others wouldn't mind it. Anyhow, great shots of your favourite rig :)
So you enjoy pressing the "next stop" button for other when it's not working on a CB80? :twisted:
3269's stop buttons were fine, wired in properly. :wink:
Last edited by Lt. Commander Data on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Post by Hawkeye »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:So you enjoy pressing the "next stop" button for other when it's not working on a CB80? :twisted:
3269's stop buttons were fine, ores in properly. :wink:
Hahaha, now look here... ;) Over all the time I've ridden CB80's across Adelaide, that's the first time anything like that has happened :P
Lt. Commander Data

Often I hear people on CB80s "ringing the bell" 2 or 3 times before the little tune plays. I know the tune is also played on other buses, but I think a simple "ding" is a lot less annoying.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Often I hear people on CB80s "ringing the bell" 2 or 3 times before the little tune plays. I know the tune is also played on other buses, but I think a simple "ding" is a lot less annoying.
Obviously you haven't been on Southlink 2402 yet. I got a fair bit of criticism for mentioning on this forum that it's bell tone is way too loud, and my ears aren't the best anyhow.

The tone is just something you get used to, but it's either this or noise insulation with the Adelaide stuff (SL202s excluded). I think I'd prefer the chime rather than the insulation, as long as it isn't a something with a diff issue causing a very loud noise.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Often I hear people on CB80s "ringing the bell" 2 or 3 times before the little tune plays. I know the tune is also played on other buses, but I think a simple "ding" is a lot less annoying.
I completely agree with you there. I personally prefer the ding on PMC SA's buses and the SL202s that haven't had theirs replaced, but as far as low floors go, I'm in favour of the ding on the hills Volgrens. You're certainly right that CB80s don't have good 'Stop' buttons too. They're generally either entirely non-functional or mostly functional if you press really hard.

Very nice shots, by the way. I found the explanation very interesting. It's a shame 3269 doesn't seem to go to the city often; I'd be interested to catch it up the south-eastern freeway.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote: Very nice shots, by the way. I found the explanation very interesting. It's a shame 3269 doesn't seem to go to the city often; I'd be interested to catch it up the south-eastern freeway.
Thanks, I spent a bit of time writing it. The photo part wasn't too hard though, you could say I've had a lot of practice :P

If it's just a 100 zone you're after, 3269 cam be found on an 852 run at least once a week. It often does Mt Barker feeders, and sometimes T840/840X runs at peak hour as well. It's just a matter of keeping an eye out for it.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
Diesel_MAN wrote: Very nice shots, by the way. I found the explanation very interesting. It's a shame 3269 doesn't seem to go to the city often; I'd be interested to catch it up the south-eastern freeway.
Thanks, I spent a bit of time writing it. The photo part wasn't too hard though, you could say I've had a lot of practice :P

If it's just a 100 zone you're after, 3269 cam be found on an 852 run at least once a week. It often does Mt Barker feeders, and sometimes T840/840X runs at peak hour as well. It's just a matter of keeping an eye out for it.
Thanks, that's good to know. I would like to catch it in a 100 zone, but I am particularly interested in seeing how well it does going up the freeway. The bus I caught when I last went up the freeway didn't seem to be going more than 75 kph at certain points. It definitely wasn't spending much time in the fifth gear. I can't remember exactly which bus I got, by the way, but it was one of the Volgrens with no centre door.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thanks, I spent a bit of time writing it. The photo part wasn't too hard though, you could say I've had a lot of practice :P

Any suggestions for catching 422 re 100 zones?
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

Diesel_MAN wrote:Thanks, that's good to know. I would like to catch it in a 100 zone, but I am particularly interested in seeing how well it does going up the freeway. The bus I caught when I last went up the freeway didn't seem to be going more than 75 kph at certain points. It definitely wasn't spending much time in the fifth gear. I can't remember exactly which bus I got, by the way, but it was one of the Volgrens with no centre door.
You were on one of the 12.5's and for it to be going 75kp/h is quite impressive, generally, you would be lucky to hit 70 coming up the hill. Because all buses from 3269 up are cable throttle, they have just the bit more control over them compared to the rest that have electronic accelerators. The other little bonus feature about the cable is that it isn't speed limited to 95ish, it can go the full 100 and even a bit over if you really push them.
What even is a bus?
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:
Diesel_MAN wrote:Thanks, that's good to know. I would like to catch it in a 100 zone, but I am particularly interested in seeing how well it does going up the freeway. The bus I caught when I last went up the freeway didn't seem to be going more than 75 kph at certain points. It definitely wasn't spending much time in the fifth gear. I can't remember exactly which bus I got, by the way, but it was one of the Volgrens with no centre door.
You were on one of the 12.5's and for it to be going 75kp/h is quite impressive, generally, you would be lucky to hit 70 coming up the hill. Because all buses from 3269 up are cable throttle, they have just the bit more control over them compared to the rest that have electronic accelerators. The other little bonus feature about the cable is that it isn't speed limited to 95ish, it can go the full 100 and even a bit over if you really push them.
I'm just guessing about the speed, so I'm more inclined to go with 70 kph if that's what you've worked it out to be. It was at least 70 kph, but I know they get into the fifth gear somewhere between 70 kph and 80 kph, so it wouldn't have been much more than that unless those buses are like the MAN 18.280s and can spend longer than normal in the fourth gear if going up a steep hill.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

From my obs, Southlink rigid Scanias can change to fifth gear at just over 60kph when they reach the required RPM. I've seen two get into fifth gear in 60 zones, but this was when they were going downhill. I'd be quite certain that all 18.280s can get into fifth in a 60 zone, although it might require coasting on a slope with some.

With the L94UAs, it's a different story. I'm not sure of the exact speed, but I don't think it's possible for any L94UA to reach fifth in a 60 zone, unless the revs get really high on a slope, and it manages to change, but then it'll probably switch back to fourth, unlike with the rigids. The TT Scania rigids seem to change lower than the Southlink ones for some reason. I'm not sure what the story is with the LCB units, which shouldn't theoretically be any different.
Lt. Commander Data

TA3001 wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thanks, I spent a bit of time writing it. The photo part wasn't too hard though, you could say I've had a lot of practice :P

Any suggestions for catching 422 re 100 zones?
Could try a charter lol. :lol: Maybe not in service on the Port River or Southern expressways? :P
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
TA3001 wrote:Any suggestions for catching 422 re 100 zones?
Could try a charter lol. :lol: Maybe not in service on the Port River or Southern expressways? :P
The Port River expressway has a speed limit of 90 kph, so it would have to be the Southern Expressway, Lonsdale Road or the South-Eastern Freeway (plus any others roads that I've forgotten).
Lt. Commander Data

Diesel_MAN wrote: The Port River expressway has a speed limit of 90 kph, so it would have to be the Southern Expressway, Lonsdale Road or the South-Eastern Freeway (plus any others roads that I've forgotten).
Wasn't aware of that, shows how often I use it. There are many roads out of the metro region that are 100km/h, the 852 has some. Out towards Victor Harbour as well, and north of Gawler. :wink:
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I've heard that Port doesn't actually do charters, so that rules this out.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”