Adelaide STA Volvo B59.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

Adelaide STA Volvo B59.

Post by Denv12 »

Over the years I travelled on many of the STA Adelaide Volvo B59s. So I'd like to start a topic covering all of them.What year did they first start services in Adelaide? How many were built? What were they like? How many are still on the road? As these were overwidth too,did anyone have them narrowed to comply local rules? When was the last one built?

I remember seeing one being converted to a motorhome on Montacute Road Rostrevor.It was the house on the corner of Montacute Road and Stradbroke Road.Nice conversion.

You are all welcome to contribute to this topic.

This is the link to a LocoLes' post:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 45&t=82865
Last edited by Denv12 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: Adelaide STA Volvo B59.

Post by The Phonj »

307 Volvo B59's were built by PMC (Adelaide) for the STA Adelaide, the first being launched in 1977 and the last being retired in 2003. Three chassis were ordered as spares but never bodies. This was a common practice of the MTT for larger bus orders and dates back to at least the days of the Leyland Worldmasters. 1160 is preserved by the Queensland Omnibus and Coach Society and is registered. Queensland were happy to register them in original, overwidth condition so many did end up there. There are four that I am aware of that have been preserved in SA - 1001, 1200, 1286 and 1300, but I do not believe that any are registered. I haven't seen or heard of 1286 in some time so am unaware of its current status. 1300 is still "on track" at Mile End depot and has made a couple of visits to the National Railway Museum over the last four years to participate in events for that museum.

The vehicle located on the corner of Stradbroke and Montacute Rds is still there, but is not a Volvo B59; but an older vehicle - a Daimler Roadliner, AEC Swift (400, 500 or 600 series), or possibly the prototype Mercedes Benz or prototype Magirus Deutz. While the B59 has a similar design there are variances in the bodywork; specifically window shapes and designs to denote a difference between the two.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Wasnt there a motorhome club for these buses somewhere?

The one at Rostrevor was there around 1984 maybe earlier.I lived near there at the time,used to see it everyday.I dont remember what its fleet number was.By 1985 they had a 40 ft Denning Mono in the drivway too.
LocoLes
Favourite Vehicle: CAC Bedford 1957-60

Post by LocoLes »

Hi Denv12,

I will be adding lots of my photos, not yet posted, of Adelaide's golden oldies eg: Volvo B58, B59, B10M, Mercedes 0305 incl O-Bahn opening, MAN SL200/202, MAN SG280H, AEC Swift [incl few of the 700 series. All I need to do is scan them. Have already scanned B59's and Swifts and will post those over the weekend. :mrgreen: :D 8)
Cheers, Loco Les.
Loco Les
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

LocoLes wrote:Hi Denv12,

I will be adding lots of my photos, not yet posted, of Adelaide's golden oldies eg: Volvo B58, B59, B10M, Mercedes 0305 incl O-Bahn opening, MAN SL200/202, MAN SG280H, AEC Swift [incl few of the 700 series. All I need to do is scan them. Have already scanned B59's and Swifts and will post those over the weekend. :mrgreen: :D 8)
Cheers, Loco Les.
Hi LocoLes.

Thanks for offering to help here.You're always welcome.We all look forward to your photos.
operator541
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Swift 760 series

Post by operator541 »

Hi guys, Phonj to add to the list you have I'm aware 0f 1195 in private hands and in a running state, needs work but she's all good, even had a ride but that was a year ago.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

The Phonj wrote:307 Volvo B59's were built by PMC (Adelaide) for the STA Adelaide, the first being launched in 1977 and the last being retired in 2003. Three chassis were ordered as spares but never bodies. This was a common practice of the MTT for larger bus orders and dates back to at least the days of the Leyland Worldmasters. 1160 is preserved by the Queensland Omnibus and Coach Society and is registered. Queensland were happy to register them in original, overwidth condition so many did end up there. There are four that I am aware of that have been preserved in SA - 1001, 1200, 1286 and 1300, but I do not believe that any are registered. I haven't seen or heard of 1286 in some time so am unaware of its current status. 1300 is still "on track" at Mile End depot and has made a couple of visits to the National Railway Museum over the last four years to participate in events for that museum.

The vehicle located on the corner of Stradbroke and Montacute Rds is still there, but is not a Volvo B59; but an older vehicle - a Daimler Roadliner, AEC Swift (400, 500 or 600 series), or possibly the prototype Mercedes Benz or prototype Magirus Deutz. While the B59 has a similar design there are variances in the bodywork; specifically window shapes and designs to denote a difference between the two.
Thanks The Phonj.
If you see that vehicle can you take a photo of it please? They've had that for years.I did see it on the road at times.I think they did a lot of work on it.
The Phonj
Administrator

Post by The Phonj »

While I do pass there every now and then, I doubt very much whether my passengers (or management) would be too impressed about me stopping to take a photo. Is anybody else reading this that may be able to do so?
B59 Volvo

Post by B59 Volvo »

The Phonj wrote:While I do pass there every now and then, I doubt very much whether my passengers (or management) would be too impressed about me stopping to take a photo. Is anybody else reading this that may be able to do so?
Does it show up on Google streetview ?
operator541
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Swift 760 series

Post by operator541 »

Hi guys, yes it does show up on google street view, but you have to look really hard behind some trees So good luck, if I can spot it so can you. I'll try and get some photos if I can in the next week or so.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.886 ... 312!8i6656

Try this link it should take you straight to the street view image, I hope.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Six pictures of STA Adelaide Volvo B59s.Pictures from the Graeme Turnbull collection
Attachments
STA ADELAIDE - 1032 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1032 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1033 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1033 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1059 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1059 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1063 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1063 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1091 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1091 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1116 - VOLVO B59
STA ADELAIDE - 1116 - VOLVO B59
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

The Phonj wrote: The vehicle located on the corner of Stradbroke and Montacute Rds is still there, but is not a Volvo B59; but an older vehicle - a Daimler Roadliner, AEC Swift (400, 500 or 600 series), or possibly the prototype Mercedes Benz or prototype Magirus Deutz. While the B59 has a similar design there are variances in the bodywork; specifically window shapes and designs to denote a difference between the two.

If it doesn't have the original front then it's not the original prototype Merc as that was re-fronted some yrs ago down near Aldinga, I have a pic of it with it's replacement front on it somewhere.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

The Phonj wrote:The vehicle located on the corner of Stradbroke and Montacute Rds is still there, but is not a Volvo B59; but an older vehicle - a Daimler Roadliner, AEC Swift (400, 500 or 600 series), or possibly the prototype Mercedes Benz or prototype Magirus Deutz. While the B59 has a similar design there are variances in the bodywork; specifically window shapes and designs to denote a difference between the two.
Is it still there?
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Phonj
Administrator

Post by The Phonj »

When I last went past it was. South Eastern corner (diagonally opposite the shops).
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

How were those front wheel dress covers attached? I have seen Volvo B59s with them off and couldn't see any holes to bolt them into, yet I have noticed three bolts holding them on.
It looks as though Volvo made them to appeal to Leyland and AEC buyers who liked to have attractive nutguards on their buses, until Volvo resorted to using those generic 10 hole guards used on Mercedes and MAN. What a shame, as they looked nice.
I spotted an ex Adelaide B59 motorhome a few years back (maybe 5?) driving the other way on the M1, north of Sydney, pulling into the weigh station. The only other time I came acroos one of these legends on wheels was in Toowoomba Qld with Hagan's buses in 2003, still in all over silver. I was astonished at it's fast acceleration from rest as I drove near it. It must have been it's short axle gearing together with that turbo engine which was quite advanced for it's time. The Melbourne ones were sluggish due to their higher diff.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Busman
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Royal TigerWorldmaster
Location: Adelaide, home of one of the last AEC bus fleets ordered in the world!

Post by Busman »

The bus at Rostrevor is a 691 Swift, fleet no from memory 586 or 596. Been parked there for at least 20 years, trees have grown and now obscured it from the road.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”