Victoria Square - late 50s

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Victoria Square - late 50s

Post by system improver »

Here is a photo from the Raymond Morris Collection (used with permission). Private buses used to park at various points around the square, some seemingly all day. I wonder if anyone can provide additional info:
leyland4ever

Re: Victoria Square - late 50s

Post by leyland4ever »

Private buses used to park at various points around the square
Thanks for this great photo, system improver - it certainly brings back many memories!

A number of private buses, mostly serving the south western suburbs, and hills and near country routes, had their temini in Victoria Square. I don't remember buses parking there all day, though possible some of the country ones did. Generaly, they would be there only to take out standing time between the inward and outward runs.

I do remember that Choats, who used to serve the hills areas of Stirling and Aldgate, parked several buses in the south eastern parklands (on the Glen Osmond Road extension) between the morning and afternoon peaks. The drivers would all travel back to Aldgate on one bus, and then repeat the exercise in reverse (not literally!) in time for the pm peak.

I can make out one Choat's bus in the southern section of the eastern roadway, with possbly another behind it, although it seems to have a different colour scheme. I remember Adelaide/Meadows Bus Service also used the eastern side of Victoria Square, and Mount Barker Bus Service. There were on or two others I think. (This was before the bus station in Franklin Street was built).

What could be a Bridgland's Albion or Commer Freigher bodied bus is just passing Moore's building on the western side of the Square. At the time of this photo, Bridglands and Campbells shared the Warradale, Paringa Park, Dover Gardens, and Seacombe Gardens routes, with a terminus about half way along the western roadway in the northern section.

Henstridge's service to Darlington via South Road terminated just in front of the Bridglands/Campbell's terminus.

Just around the corner, to the left, in Franklin Street, Coles service to Daw Park terminated.

And Harcourt Gardens Bus Service to Harcourt Gardens! left on the southern side of the Square (outside what is now the Hilton Hotel).

I have a feeling I may have forgotten one of the suburban routes, and at least two of the country operators, so I hope someone will be able to fill in the missing pieces!

It should not be forgotten, although not in view in this photo, that Bowman's services to the north-eastern suburbs had their terminus in Flinders Street, just outside the church.

Victoria Square was a terminus for these routes until the early 1980s. once all the dust had settled after the 1974 takover by the MTT, the MTT eventually got round to linking the former private bus routes from the sout west with former private routes from teh norhter side of town, brining these services in line with MTT practice of through-routing wherever possible, which dated right back to the early days of trams.

As well as the private buses, between March 1956 amd May 1978, the MTT's services to Firle (later extended to Oldfield), and to Rostrevor/Morialta had their terminus in Victoria Square. They entered the City via North Terrace, Pulteney Street, Flinders Street, and then circled the north eastern quadrant of Victoria Square. The terminus was in the centre roadway. Indeed, one or even both of the MTT buses visible in King William Street, about to turn left, could well be about to pull in to the terminal, although in 1959, these services were mostly operated by the front-engine AEC Regal 111 2-door buses (Nos 170-219). 3-door buses took over these routes towards the end of 1960.

Are we going ot be lucky to see some more of these images on a CD at some stage? - let's hope so!

Cheers

Trevor
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

leyland4ever wrote:As well as the private buses, between March 1956 amd May 1978, the MTT's services to Firle (later extended to Oldfield), and to Rostrevor/Morialta had their terminus in Victoria Square. They entered the City via North Terrace, Pulteney Street, Flinders Street, and then circled the north eastern quadrant of Victoria Square. The terminus was in the centre roadway. Indeed, one or even both of the MTT buses visible in King William Street, about to turn left, could well be about to pull in to the terminal, although in 1959, these services were mostly operated by the front-engine AEC Regal 111 2-door buses (Nos 170-219). 3-door buses took over these routes towards the end of 1960.
Was that May 1978; or May 1968?
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Was that May 1978; or May 1968?

Thanks Phonj - yes it was May 1968!

I realised after I had logged off and gone to bed that I had made an error.

I'm afraid I have now reached an age where 10 years is just a drop in the ocean - I thouight when I was typing it that 22 years (1956 to 1978) seemed longer than it should have been, but still didn't realise what was wrong!

I now have to ask someone what year it is when I need to write a date!

My apologies to all concerned for the error.

Cheers

Trevor
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Love the photo.Thanks for posting.

Its interesting to see this location before it became a square.It seems to work better this way in the photo with the other rides being off the main King William St.Maybe they need to return the square to this layout and see if it works now.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”