South Australian Bus Companies:name them from any year.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

Re: South Australian Bus Companies:name them from any year.

Post by Denv12 »

Wasnt there a company in the northern suburbs called A1 Always? They had 1 Duple Dominant and at least 2 other buses.
operator541
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Swift 760 series

Post by operator541 »

Hi Guys, the Albion in the 3rd photo (RWH076) ex Coles, i know where it went after being absorded into the STA, it was bought by The Ingle Farm Salvation Army and used as church transport, i rode on that to many a youth camp and other outtings. When i was old enough i even learned to drive a bus in her (crappy old crash box too) :D
Bedford-29 wrote:Here is a selection of former Adelaide private bus operators.Pictures from the Andrew Potts and Graeme Turnbull collections.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Renmark-Gwervials.
Does anyone have any photos of the fleet of Gwervials? What else did they have?
They bought a ex TAA Watt bodied Leyland from Jack Sellick early 1970s in a similar livery to the Freighter Lawton bodied -OPS1 chassis Of Sellicks Coaches.See photo on this page.
I had met him and his wife when they first saw the bus and then saw them on the day they picked up the bus from our home.
Brenton lewis

Post by Brenton lewis »

system improver wrote:Quest Tours was sign written Alato Pty Ltd as the owning company. According to ASIC records, Alato dates back to 7/7/68 and was previously called The Bus Company P/L and became Bus Australia (No1) P/L. It was deregistered 21/2/05. Maybe the Lewis family was involved all along, perhaps with others. Quest Tours seemed to operate out of the old Lewis Glynde depot.

My dad work for quest tours in about 85
Rod lewis was his name any photos u have would be good
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

According to ASIC records, Alato dates back to 7/7/68 and was previously called The Bus Company P/L and became Bus Australia (No1) P/L. It was deregistered 21/2/05.Quest Tours seemed to operate out of the old Lewis Glynde depot.[/quote]
When I started work at Quest Tours in mid 1985 they were based in Provident Ave,Glynde.It was Lewis' depot then Quest then "The Bus Company's Across Australia Coachlines/Quest Tours,etc. BusCoach Pty Ltd was also based there too.All vehicles were serviced in the workshops there.The Volvo coaches were serviced at Volvo,Gepps Cross.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Evening Denv12.
Alato Pty.Ltd was first registered by John Lewis ,as you say on 7/7/68.
This was used by John Lewis to sell Lewis Bros.charter business and 24 vehicles to ,long term employees ,Harry Puckeridge and Don Wilson,trading as Quest Tours on 30/8/79.
Puckeridge and Wilson sold the business on 31/12/85 ,through Alato Pty.Ltd to Max Winkless with around 27 buses.Winkless renamed the company the Bus Company Pty.Ltd and used Quest Tours as a base to build his then Across Australia Coachlines long distance express brand.The name was altered to Bus Australia.Winkless only wanted the high spec coaches and depot,so sold charter coaches and school runs to other operators,including Rollercoaster Tours.
Information is from an article in July/August 2017 in Australian Bus by George Rogers.
I think Buscoach Pty.Ltd. was a company owned by Winkless in charge of fleet maintainence,managed by Alf Brewer,another long time Lewis employee.
Hope this helps.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

[quote="burrumbus"]Evening Denv12.

Puckeridge and Wilson sold the business on 31/12/85 ,through Alato Pty.Ltd to Max Winkless with around 27 buses.Winkless renamed the company the Bus Company Pty.Ltd and used Quest Tours as a base to build his then Across Australia Coachlines long distance express brand.The name was altered to Bus Australia.Winkless only wanted the high spec coaches and depot,so sold charter coaches and school runs to other operators,including Rollercoaster Tours.
Information is from an article in July/August 2017 in Australian Bus by George Rogers.
I think Buscoach Pty.Ltd. was a company owned by Winkless in charge of fleet maintainence,managed by Alf Brewer,another long time Lewis employee.

Thanks for the info.
I worked at Quest shortly after Max Winkless take over in mid 1985.I did AAC express from Dec 85.I did a brief stint with RollerCoaster and his ex Quest Tours fleet and school runs,etc in Feb 1986,I went back onto AAC express after that.All buses,etc were sold off straight after the school year finished in December 1985.I cant think of who else bought buses at the time from then.That was a busy time then plus the 1st Bova #60 was being prepared for inspection at Regency Park and then into service.Keith Ashby was still chief mechanic.Tony Trembath was on the scene in 1986.Alf Brewer was in charge of BusCoach.Ken Mildred was my boss in Adelaide.

As for the previous owners of AAC,I'm sure it was owned by Ross Love.Maybe the same one who owned a bus company in Albany,WA too.I think he bought it from the guys who started "Flight Centre".I dont know who owned Parlocars before Max Winkless. Its interesting to compare the depots of Perth and Adelaide.
flaneur

Post by flaneur »

no one has mentioned the bus service Adelaide - Swan Reach. Use to leave the country bus station in North Tce but didn't move to the new Franklin St Bus Depot

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”