Volvo B7R Volgren New School Buses for Link SA

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
The Modeller

Volvo B7R Volgren New School Buses for Link SA

Post by The Modeller »

Some Shots of the new B7R Volvos at Mt Barker Depot. Some arrived today.
There will be 6 of these at Mt Barker.
Attachments
br7.JPG
br7.JPG (186.45 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Bull Bar.JPG
Bull Bar.JPG (176.42 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
new on track.JPG
new on track.JPG (168.84 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
new.JPG
new.JPG (152.57 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
br7 dash.JPG
br7 dash.JPG (204.93 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
in side.JPG
in side.JPG (247.78 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Re: Volvo B7R Volgren New School Buses for Link SA

Post by Crispy! »

Great Photos :)
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
Haydown500
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B59

Post by Haydown500 »

to be used on school runs that link sa won over smaller businesses that are now going broke becuase of this company!
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

That's an awful lot of investment in new buses to do an hour or so in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, and to wipe out some of the smaller local businesses that burgatest400 refers to. Will they be used for charters or route shifts in between school runs?
Last edited by TT on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

burgatest400 wrote:to be used on school runs that link sa won over smaller businesses that are now going broke becuase of this company!
If you cant compete then this is whats gonna happen...
noofnoof

Post by noofnoof »

oooohhh, are those Volgrens? one school excursion here in Brisbane we had only 20 students a bus like that, equipped as a school/charter bus not a coach. Possibly one of the best buses I've ever ridden on, extremely clean, well turned out, and smooth.
Yah, here's an exterior shot.
Flickr
Noofnoof's Transport Videos

All aboard the Bo'2'Bo
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Well considering alot of the smaller companies were running older buses that would need replacing whos to know if they could afford the upgrade without government assistance.

A nicer way would have been for Link SA to go buy out the other operators and their contracts so they atleast got something rather than just knock them off.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Post by B7RLE »

Ahh i wondered where they were destined for when i saw them at Volgren Dandenong before christmas
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

Scott,

Whilst your suggestion is nice in theory, the reality is that to buy the operators would have been of very little gain to LinkSA

The contracts were all due for renewal, a very very high percentage of the buses the operators had on these school services were non compliant for re-tender, which basiclly would have left LinkSA with alot less money, a whole heap of useless vehicles, way too many trading names and small businesses than anyone would ever need and still the need to re-tender for these contracts and still by the compliant buses.

The contracts were for a period of 15 years, any operator ( well any credible operator) would have no difficulty finding finance for vehicles to service such contracts and should not need to rely on any assistance other than regular contract payments.

Burgatesta400,

Like any industry, The bus industry is a competitive force, I personally think LinkSA should be commended for the commitment and service upgrades they have and continue to provide regional SA, I dont see anyone taking leaps and bounds like they have be able to, Look at such services as Angaston > Adelaide this used to mostly operated by ageing Mercedes school buses, now its rare to see anything other than a very modern low floor Scania on it, LinkSA in my eyes are competitive innovators.
TT

Post by TT »

I trust all the interstate viewers to this post have noticed the 25 km/h speed sign on the back of the buses, unlike 40 in every other state. Having driven country school buses with stops on open highway I still think 110 down to 25 is a big ask.

And seeing bus 403 there with the roo bar partially hiding the "school bus" signwriting reminds me of a private contractor many years ago who had to get his signwriting redone (or the roo bar removed) for that very reason, as SA regs require the words Caution and School Bus to be there and visible, and in black writing at least 100 mm high from memory. Nitpicking I know, and I guess now that we have the orange wig wag lights the visibility of the wording not so much of an issue.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

The buses with bullbars are all ex Volvo stock. Just about all the rest of the LinkSA ordered buses are in the SA school bus yellow and do not feature any bullbars. I delivered one to Adelaide a few weeks ago. Nice buses. There are at least 15 or more yellow ones i think.
The Modeller

Post by The Modeller »

4 yellow one's at Aldgate Depot. They will end up at Strathalbyn.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (238.18 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (216.82 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
TT

Post by TT »

Being a lover of yellow EDSA buses from Bedfords and Commers thru to Inters and Hinos, those photos are almost as good as it gets. Wow! Strathalbyn kids won't know what's hit them.
m/o 6234
Favourite Vehicle: Scania/MAN A69

Post by m/o 6234 »

I like the yellow :).

Can i ask are these yellow buses used on school runs only?
The Modeller

Post by The Modeller »

These buses will only be used for school runs and school charter.
Spannerhead

Post by Spannerhead »

Does anybody have any leads on the sale of the retired fleet of old yellow buses?
retiredbendy
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0305/G, MAN SG
Location: Any suburb around Adelaide were there are lots of Admet vehicles!

Post by retiredbendy »

I thought 'SouthLink, Mt Barker' only stored ''Mitsubishi Rosa #34' and 'Volvo B10M #3306?
I only asked this question because in the 'First lot of pictures', you can see a few Scania L94UB Volgren 'CR224L's behind (next to) the 'Link SA' buses and you can also see, by the looks of it, ex Volvo B10M #3260 parked on the left hand side.

Cheers,
retiredbendy
Bring back the 'Old Articulated' buses in 2013 for the Rail Subs!
ScaniaK320
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. 18.280

Post by ScaniaK320 »

Bring back the Inters and the Leylands
All tickets and Passes please
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

retiredbendy wrote:I thought 'SouthLink, Mt Barker' only stored ''Mitsubishi Rosa #34' and 'Volvo B10M #3306?
I only asked this question because in the 'First lot of pictures', you can see a few Scania L94UB Volgren 'CR224L's behind (next to) the 'Link SA' buses and you can also see, by the looks of it, ex Volvo B10M #3260 parked on the left hand side.

Cheers,
retiredbendy
The fleet lists are not an accurate reflection of all the buses currently at Mt Barker depot, but I think their fleet is rotated with Aldgate, making it hard to keep a proper fleet list for Mt Barker...
Jumbles
Favourite Vehicle: Unicycle

Post by Jumbles »

Spannerhead wrote:Does anybody have any leads on the sale of the retired fleet of old yellow buses?
Saw that Evans and Clarke Auctions were selling a few a while back....Don't know how that went for them....
Jumbles
Favourite Vehicle: Unicycle

Post by Jumbles »

TT wrote:I trust all the interstate viewers to this post have noticed the 25 km/h speed sign on the back of the buses, unlike 40 in every other state. Having driven country school buses with stops on open highway I still think 110 down to 25 is a big ask.

And seeing bus 403 there with the roo bar partially hiding the "school bus" signwriting reminds me of a private contractor many years ago who had to get his signwriting redone (or the roo bar removed) for that very reason, as SA regs require the words Caution and School Bus to be there and visible, and in black writing at least 100 mm high from memory. Nitpicking I know, and I guess now that we have the orange wig wag lights the visibility of the wording not so much of an issue.
110 -> 40 is still a big ask to, TBH.

I had some funny idea that speed limits could only reduce by 30km/h at a time, so 40km/h (or 25km/h) past buses (or Emergency Vehicles, for that matter) might be unenforceable in zones that allowed speeds more than 30km/h above that. As a slight side note, I think this is one of the advantages of the variable speed limit signs....if you need to slow traffic from 110 to 40 because Emergency Vehicles are operating, you can use 3 signs on the approach 110->80, then 80->60 then 60->40.
Also, this means a lot of people get away with speeding past roadworks because they merely have to show that the speed zones were incorrectly set up.

That said, could have been totally misled there....

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”