Budd RDC Railcars: Photo Request

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Budd RDC Railcars: Photo Request

Post by STA 1440 »

Hello all,

I am keen to see photo's of the three Budd RDC railcars back when they were used in service by Commonwealth Railways and Australian National.

Thankyou in advance. :wink:
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Budd RDC Railcars: Photo Request

Post by system improver »

The History of Comeng by John Dunn Vol 1 has a few photos and also details how these Railcars were made and came to be here. One is held in the Uni of SA Library Call No: 620.00994 DUNJ
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

B58 Howler wrote:Hello all,

I am keen to see photo's of the three Budd RDC railcars back when they were used in service by Commonwealth Railways and Australian National.

Thankyou in advance. :wink:
On that note where are these units now? Scrapped maybe :cry:

I only ever managed 1 obscure photo of one of them. Pity.
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Only 1 scrapped to date that I am aware off, after a bad accident.

Last I saw 1 at Islington Workshops in storage, not sure if its still there.

Also think the NRM was to get one.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Halfie
Favourite Vehicle: E-E 900, PMC MAN SL202d

Post by Halfie »

One I'm pretty sure was written off in an accident with a semi (may of been a fatal it was a while ago, my memories not the best), north of Adelaide. I've got a vague recollection that the other two were rebuilt into passenger cars, though i could be totally incorrect on that one.
Halfie
Favourite Vehicle: E-E 900, PMC MAN SL202d

Post by Halfie »

The Inspector wrote:Only 1 scrapped to date that I am aware off, after a bad accident.

Last I saw 1 at Islington Workshops in storage, not sure if its still there.

Also think the NRM was to get one.
I'm to slow lol. Must be a Bluebird I was thinking about in that last bit.
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

Halfie wrote: I'm to slow lol. Must be a Bluebird I was thinking about in that last bit.
You are on the ball about the accident, it was with a semi and I think the trucky died. Cant remember the entire story.

None of the budds have been converted to crew cars or pass cars, only members of the Blue Bird fleet.

The first were a few cars converted to passenger cars and saw service on the Indian Pacific & the Overland. Others have since become crew cars for various companies.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Post by STA 1440 »

The National Rail Museum in Port Adelaide has one preserved. :wink:
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

B58 Howler wrote:The National Rail Museum in Port Adelaide has one preserved. :wink:
Thanks, Ihought they got one, I did see one stored outside in the yard when I last visited but wasnt sure if it was theirs or just being stored there.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

CB1 is at NRM, CB2 Port Augusta WorkShops and CB3 is owned by BlueBird enginerring and last noted in a damaged condition in 1999

in 2/88 CB3 was involved in a level crossing smash at Heaslip road on the up Whyalla. The driver and a passenger were killed when the front unit collided with a truck. CB 3 suffered major damage which was not subsequently repaired. CB 1 was also involved in the crash.

Information was obtained from http://comrails.railpage.org.au/cr_locos/r_cb.html#cb1
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

Thanks will, new someone would dig up the information. :wink:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Flexity110

Post by Flexity110 »

CB2 was transported from BRO Islington to Port Augusta on October 31 last year by road. This happened around the time that Allambi turned up at the NRM, as the same truck was meant to be used however the extreme length and height of the Budd meant that this couldn't occur and it was rescheduled a week later.

The latest rumour doing the blocks is that she will be headed over to the Pilbara for use as a crew shuttle - although personally I'd suggest this to be nothing more than a rumour.

As an aside, she was sold to a Mexican businessman at one point for use in the Americas, however due to transportation issues she as then sold back to BRO for $50k more than they'd originally sold it for.
Lynx
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL 202 MkII

Post by Lynx »

I remember them.
The passenger killed in the Heaslip Crossing accident was a Port Augusta lady, she was a friend of my mothers. You can see in one of the photo's where she would have been sitting, when the trailer of the truck hit the side of the 3rd car.

I think they should be placed back in service from Port Augusta or Roxby Downs to Adelaide on a daily run. Stopping at Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Crystal Brook and Snowtown for Mail as Passengers.

Thank you so much for the link
LONG LIVE M.A.N. SL202 MkII.
Smile be happy
tramfan70

Post by tramfan70 »

Here is CB2 forming the Iron Triangle Limited to Adelaide on the 27th March 1988.
And again waiting next to the motorail siding at Keswick before returning North at 18:00hors.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”