• Advertisement

Wulkuraka Maintenance Centre

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Re: Wulkuraka Maintenance Centre

Postby nathan1987 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 pm

What lines are the NGR currently servicing? I knew the Gold Coast was first. So many are being delivered but how many are in service and what lines.
nathan1987

Postby 1of55 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 pm

NGR trains are currently in service on the Airport/ Gold Coast lines, Doomben line and Redcliffe and Springfield lines. The most numerous NGR trains are on the Gold Coast/ Airport lines. They all run through the central stations as all the lines pass through. The Doomben trains often terminate at Roma Street, but they are not all NGR. The Springfield and Redcliffe lines tend to run some NGR trains at morning and afternoon peaks and can terminate at Bowen Hills. EMUs and SMUs other times.
I do not have figures for the number in service; it is increasing all the time. The NGR trains also travel on the Ipswich/ Rosewood line as test trains to and from Wulkuraka Maintenance Centre.
701, 702 and a damaged 715 can be seen from Redbank Station.
1of55

Postby Swift » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Any particular reason Queensland chose narrow gauge instead of a wider system? They look like the sugar cane tracks to the north. I wonder what the gauge of Gold Coast Light Rail is. They look to be standard gauge.
QR Citytrain need to go dual gauge so as they can phase in standard gauge rolling stock in the future.
'Neville Wran, he's our man. He's got this great state moving.'
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby 1of55 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Queensland choose 3’6” gauge when Australia was a country of separate colonies and joining of the separate rail systems was not contemplated, as the settlements were thousands of miles apart and the lines were constructed to ferry goods and produce to the ports. Narrow gauge was selected as it was cheaper to construct and the lines also followed the contours of the land and avoided tunnels and earthworks to lower costs. We do have dual gauge into the Port of Brisbane, Acacia Ridge and Roma Street for the interstate train to Sydney. I can’t see conversion to standard gauge of the entire system ever happening as the cost would be uneconomic, so that is why we have Bombardier NGR trains with narrow gauge bogies. On the new extensions the track is built much straighter and the narrower gauge is not a problem as the trains can safely travel at 140klm. The Gold Coast tram is 4’8½” gauge.
1of55

Postby nathan1987 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:03 am

1of55 wrote:NGR trains are currently in service on the Airport/ Gold Coast lines, Doomben line and Redcliffe and Springfield lines. The most numerous NGR trains are on the Gold Coast/ Airport lines. They all run through the central stations as all the lines pass through. The Doomben trains often terminate at Roma Street, but they are not all NGR. The Springfield and Redcliffe lines tend to run some NGR trains at morning and afternoon peaks and can terminate at Bowen Hills. EMUs and SMUs other times.
I do not have figures for the number in service; it is increasing all the time. The NGR trains also travel on the Ipswich/ Rosewood line as test trains to and from Wulkuraka Maintenance Centre.
701, 702 and a damaged 715 can be seen from Redbank Station.

Thanks for that, hopefully they will be on all line soon including the Sunshine Coast Line, because every time I am up there that particular Gympie North ICE service is always cancelled or delayed due to mechanical faults.
nathan1987

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Photos - Brisbane/Qld