Farewell to the Mercs

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Hornibrook

Farewell to the Mercs

Post by Hornibrook »

As their days of revenue service in Queensland are slowly numbered (with some reports suggesting they could be gone as early as this weekend), I inadvertently ventured out this morning for some coverage of the Mercs which are currently on lease to Hornibrook Bus Lines.

First up we have (365) seen operating an inbound 326 service to Toombul Interchange on Norris Road this morning.

Secondly we have (370) operating a rare 314 service from Deagon to Sandgate - pictured here passing through Sandgate Station. The 314 service as it is known today was of course based upon the former Hornibrook and Sandgate-Lutwyche service "Route D" - which ironically may have had a better frequency than it has today!
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Re: Farewell to the Mercs

Post by howlerbus »

Why are they going? They don't look that old...
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
burgo_xbl1
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk 2

Post by burgo_xbl1 »

If Hornibrook loses these what will replace them? I loved riding them on school runs.
gunzelbusdriver

Post by gunzelbusdriver »

hornibrook will be getting MAN 18.310s 1010-1015 will be replacing the Merc O500LEs
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

I passed a 0500 4 or 5 days back but this one was in all over white and doing a Hornibrook service.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
DavidH21
Favourite Vehicle: Transit Systems MAN 18.320

Post by DavidH21 »

howlerbus wrote:Why are they going? They don't look that old...
I heard from elsewhere on the ATDB that the Mercedes O500LE's were just on a 10-year lease to BT... the real mystery is why BT wasn't impressed with these units as they bought none out of the original 40 (presuming that Carina's O500LEs aren't sold to BT).
racingnathan
Favourite Vehicle: BT Volvo B12BLE and B7RLE

Post by racingnathan »

As explained a couple of months back on this board. BCC reduced BT's budget and with new buses already on order the decision was taken to not renew the lease on the O500's.
SuperMercC615
Favourite Vehicle: BT Merc C615

Post by SuperMercC615 »

As much as I love the 0500s, it makes sense for BT to not renew the lease for them. Not only is the allocated budget an issue but also streamlining the fleet into just Volvo, MAN, and Scania makes sense as it reduces the overhead costs of maintenance and parts. It probably isn't financially viable to operate only 40 of these buses when the fleet of BT is around 1200 buses which is made up mainly only of Volvos, MANs, and Scanias.
Plus the Mercs were beginning to show their age just a bit when compared to the new 0500.
I hear that Mercedes Benz are in the tender for the next batch of buses, so hopefully they'll be back again in bigger numbers.
Farewell BT and Hornibrook Mercs. After October 14th, this is a VolScaMaGren city.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

racingnathan wrote:As explained a couple of months back on this board. BCC reduced BT's budget and with new buses already on order the decision was taken to not renew the lease on the O500's.
Thanks for that. I am not from Qld so don't normally read the Qld posts...
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

20 of them have gone to Transit System which took over the operation of region 3 in Sydney as from today.

http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/tsa. ... 2CR228L%22
Living in the Shire.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

SuperMercC615 wrote:I hear that Mercedes Benz are in the tender for the next batch of buses, so hopefully they'll be back again in bigger numbers.
Not happening as the next contracts have been awarded to MAN, Volvo and Scania. Shame really, as the MB Euro V and Euro VI drivetrains are amazing!
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Fleet Lists wrote:
20 of them have gone to Transit System which took over the operation of region 3 in Sydney as from today.

http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/tsa. ... 2CR228L%22
What has happened to the other 20?
racingnathan
Favourite Vehicle: BT Volvo B12BLE and B7RLE

Post by racingnathan »

14 more have gone to Transit Systems and the last 6 are sitting at Carina withdrawn from service.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

In Reply to SupeMerc PoweredbyCNG wrote:
SuperMercC615 wrote:
I hear that Mercedes Benz are in the tender for the next batch of buses, so hopefully they'll be back again in bigger numbers.

Not happening as the next contracts have been awarded to MAN, Volvo and Scania. Shame really, as the MB Euro V and Euro VI drivetrains are amazing!
I think you might need to renew your sauce:- As far as I'm aware nothing has been formally decided on yet---it could yet be BCI's all round!

The O500 Mercedes at Carina have been sitting idle there for a little while now.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Maladjusted wrote:
In Reply to SupeMerc PoweredbyCNG wrote:
SuperMercC615 wrote:

I think you might need to renew your sauce:- As far as I'm aware nothing has been formally decided on yet---it could yet be BCI's all round!

The O500 Mercedes at Carina have been sitting idle there for a little while now.
On the contrary, Volvos just been awarded a large contract. http://www.volvobuses.com/bus/australia ... uage=en-gb
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Two or more of these Mercs are sitting in the Mile End Depot in Adelaide - perhaps someone else has more detail and/or photos.
BT-Otto
Favourite Vehicle: Brisbane Transport B7's

Post by BT-Otto »

Tim Williams wrote:Two or more of these Mercs are sitting in the Mile End Depot in Adelaide - perhaps someone else has more detail and/or photos.
Would be part of the last 6 ex Hornibrook ( # 365 - 370 ) which were held at Carina Depot for a couple of weeks to have the ticketing systems, advertising and etc removed from them before being sent on their way.
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

Post by jibb »

Tim Williams wrote:Two or more of these Mercs are sitting in the Mile End Depot in Adelaide - perhaps someone else has more detail and/or photos.
Tim all 6 are sitting at the Mile End depot of Torrens Transit.They will go into service I believe by the end of January(before they are repainted into Adelaide Metro livery),to enable the retirement of some of TT's older MAN SL200(ex Melbourne Bus Link) buses.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for the reply Jibb, being low floor and a just superseded Volgren design, they will certainly be an improvement over the aged and high floor ex Melbourne MAN's
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Just found this thread. All 6 are in operation in Adelaide with Torrens Transit, and have been since about April 2014. In red-fronted Adelaide Metro livery, and all new seats in AdMet fabric. Absolutely brilliant to drive, I had one for my shift today.
Last edited by TT on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

image.jpg
image.jpg (202.13 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
This photo from the Adelaide photos section, thanks to The Inspector.
burgo_xbl1
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk 2

Post by burgo_xbl1 »

They look great. I miss the ride to school in the mornings, I now ride the MAN's.

Return to “Photos - Brisbane/Qld”