A BCI for Wyndham

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Craig

A BCI for Wyndham

Post by Craig »

After over 6 months of anticipation, I finally spotted CDCM's Euro 6 standard Mercedes O500LE, BCI bus this afternoon (18/1). This vehicle was previously displayed at the BusVic Expo last July. Numbered #136, it is operating out of the Werribee depot, and an overdue low floor addition to the fleet after major service increases last June, that have resulted in Wyndham being Volvo B10M/B10B high floor heaven on weekdays. Since the upgrade, the only low floor to be added to the Werribee depot fleet was #135 (Volvo B9TL) double decker. (Pics here - http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 43&t=80783)

I saw the bus arrive on a 151 from Williams Landing at 1pm, travel to Werribee via 170 then do a few round trips on 190.

At Tarneit:

Departing Werribee Plaza, chasing single-door #127 (Volvo B7RLE, Volgren), one of just two CDCM low floor buses to escape the PTV livery or CDCM charter livery

Operating 190 services along Cottrell St, seen at Market St and crossing the Werribee River

A couple of interior shots, including the LED "Bus Stopping" display. The interior reminded me very much of the Denning low floor design.

I found the vehicle fine to travel on, yet to develop any noticeable rattles, but nothing particularly special either. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts in coming weeks.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
The Cap a tan

Re: A BCI for Wyndham

Post by The Cap a tan »

Nice set of photos Craig, I notice the appropriate ending on the number plate 'LO', low.
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

Do we know why CDC have picked this vehicle up? Given that traditionally they have been pretty loyal to the Volgren brand, was this vehicle simply a demo model that came with a good deal? Is it a once off purchase or are they perhaps considering these as a more regular purchase in future?

I'm also curious to know given that many people have questions as to whether a BCI unit (or any Chinese import for that matter) will stand up to the test of time as a route service vehicle, could they be any worse than those Designline products we have seen on our roads, which in my honest opinion, are a very ordinary product in regards to quality.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
GeelongBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Into mostly of Mercs and Volvo

Post by GeelongBuses »

I really hope Geelong gets these
(I know I havnt posted in about 2 years)
Subscribe to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBTOrRG2LiE_MUeRy54fbQ
GTZ I make Transport Videos and Gaming!
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

Looks nice. I've always wondered what are the chances of Ventura getting something other than low floor Volgrens, like this BCI.

I'm guessing extremely slim.
Contra la Luna
Craig

Post by Craig »

B10BLE wrote:Looks nice. I've always wondered what are the chances of Ventura getting something other than low floor Volgrens, like this BCI.

I'm guessing extremely slim.
Remember though, Ventura are the ones who didn't buy for Volgren for about a decade, buying a mix of Custom, Northcoast and Designline bodies instead.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Remember though, Ventura are the ones who didn't buy for Volgren for about a decade, buying a mix of Custom, Northcoast and Designline bodies instead.
Like anything, if the circumstances are right then organisations can change. Dysons seem to have been happy with Volgren bodied Scanias for years, but just bought two BCIs for the 509 service. Panorama have had a single King Long since 2013. Seems to be a few operators dipping their toes in the water, presumably based on cost.

And if Ventura decide that a Chinese made bus is any good, especially given their experiences with importing New Zealand buses as Craig pointed out, especially for the price, then anything can happen. I get the impression people assume a slightly anthropomorthic view of bus operators, whereas in reality at the end of the day they are businesses and if there is a better business case for buying a different brand, they probably will. The main thing that may have mitigated that in the case of Volgren is that the owners were also local bus operators, but that is no longer the case.
Alex on the Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113CRB/Ansair Commuter

Post by Alex on the Bus »

In the case of Dyson's BCI minis it would have been the combination of needing the sort of small bus not normally built/bodied locally and probably not wanting to blow a whole heap of money (either because it's been funded on the cheap or there's the possibility that it might go away again - or both) making the BCI a wise choice. If the 509 was going to be deal I reckon there would be the funds for some proper midis instead.
Oh, what a perfect world this world would be,
If he was President now - but he's not.
TheIlikeBusesGuy
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLE Bustech

Post by TheIlikeBusesGuy »

Looks a lot better than the BCI's and Bonlucks i've seen so far in Queensland, but it would be interesting to see if any of these make it up to the Sunshine state...
Still waiting for a MAN SL200 to catch to school. Might be waiting a while....
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

Give that near side mirror two weeks!
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
Transport: Buses
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST on Scania K280UB

Post by Transport: Buses »

A surprisingly good looking bus.

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”