Old Bus images - Hurst collection

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Hursty
Favourite Vehicle: `66 Freighter

Old Bus images - Hurst collection

Post by Hursty »

A trip to Yallourn for some lads from Caulfield Grammer in this: Sinclair's Parlor Coach. KG-732 c1946 Ford
As usual, any information on this and the following photos will be pleasing to read. Hope that they are of interest, I'm always happy to have the feedback.
Hursty

Re: Old Bus images - Hurst collection

Post by Hursty »

International Harvester KS 5 for Pioneer tours, possibly in the factory and viewed by RR Hurst prior to him purchasing his own.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

The first bus was new to Jack Cartin's All Weather Scenic Coaches. He used various operating names, including Scenic Tours. It has a Cheetham & Borwick sideloader body. I'm sure I have seen another photo of this coach, but can't think where at the moment.

The second coach for Pioneer Tours was one of 141 Roadcruisers built by Ansair for Pioneer Tours; 41 were K5 Inters, 34 Fords, 1 federal, 6 Diamond Ts and 59 K7 or KB6 Inters.

Hursty

Post by Hursty »

KU-350 Federal chassis Grummet body c1946/8 Travelling along Swanston Street in Melbourne
Then

Now

Times certainly have changed.....
system improver

Gee, what a fantastically clear picture of this Federal. It was new to Joe Silverman in late 1947. He was one of the multiple operators on Route 1, Melbourne to North Road via Orrong Road. His livery was red with a silver roof (other operators on this route were red with a cream roof, but I guess he went with his name). His number 2 became number 20 in the Melbourne & Brighton Bus Lines fleet with the amalgamation in November 1954. The bus was sold to Victoria Dock Bus Company in November 1955 where it saw out the rest of its life. It actually has an Ansair "Metro" body, which I always thought was the most attractive on normal control buses.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Here's an advertisement for Ansair's "Metro" bus body from T&BT:
T&BT Monash 104.JPG
T&BT Monash 104.JPG (116.34 KiB) Viewed 11113 times
T&BT Monash 105.JPG
T&BT Monash 105.JPG (127.24 KiB) Viewed 11113 times
Calling it the "Metro" upset Perth's Metropolitan Omnibus Co as they held that trademark...
Trademark 1948-11-26 Complaint to Ansaira.JPG
Trademark 1948-11-26 Complaint to Ansaira.JPG (85.81 KiB) Viewed 11113 times
Did Ansair ultimately change the name of that body style?[/color]
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
system improver

MTT384 wrote:...Did Ansair ultimately change the name of that body style?
No. They were dealing with Reg Ansett. The "Metro" name remained for this body style which was only produced on normal control buses. However, after 1948, few were made. In 1949, the "Transett" integral bus was introduced, initially with a Ford rear engine, with latter versions having a Perkins R6. About 100 were made before Ansair reverted to traditional body on chassis construction for metro type buses (Bedfords and Fords). The last "Metro" style bodied bus that I have in my records was new in 1950. The bus in the advertisement was new to Mervyn Charles Peeler (MCP) who traded as Hampton Red Bus Service. Here is an other picture of the bus in Hampton Street in the late 40s:
Last edited by system improver on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Great thread Hursty and System Improver.Cheers
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Any clues to the identity of this SA registered Denning?
funbus
Favourite Vehicle: man sl200 mkI

Post by funbus »

Some great photos for sure! I always wondered if a bus driving position was very well considered and sort after in the olden days. Drivers were always very well dressed, coach or local and looked very proud at what they did.

It seems people think these days think, that due to Ventura's lets say constant recruiting etc, that its a job to go for if there isn't much else around. Its a shame its a great rewarding job, especially in you do charter or different day tours. :wink:
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

funbus wrote:Some great photos for sure! I always wondered if a bus driving position was very well considered and sort after in the olden days. Drivers were always very well dressed, coach or local and looked very proud at what they did.

It seems people think these days think, that due to Ventura's lets say constant recruiting etc, that its a job to go for if there isn't much else around. Its a shame its a great rewarding job, especially in you do charter or different day tours. :wink:
Agreed totally Funbus.It is a rewarding fun,entertaining job.It all depends on your attitude,and to some extent who you work for.If you work for a good employer,or for yourself it can be the best job around.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

A trip to the snow at Mt Donna Buang, this bus was parked next to one of the Hurst fleet. It's a White from Croydon MtDandenong and looks very different to the usual OB and SB Bedfords. Hope the 5 digits of the number plate can receal more information on this bus.
system improver

This is an MBA bodied White WC18 that was new in 10/50 and originally registered as SR 310. It was reregistered in 3/55 as GGC 388 and was used on both school and route services. It was deregistered in early 1968 but lived in the depot for many years after that. Here is a Bruce Tilley shot taken at Olinda:

Hursty

Post by Hursty »

An unidentified bus in an unidentified location.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Another in our collection of photo's. Keen to know what this one is.
Time, place?? I dont know...
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Very pleased that my Grandfather went Aussie built back in the 50's, he actually thought about buying this...
Not a pretty sight at all.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

And he even had a thought on this type....
A little more pleasing on the eye, BUT... not quite right. Think he may have been turned off by the International. American coaches didnt suit the country Victorian roads and conditions.
system improver

Hursty wrote:Another in our collection of photo's. Keen to know what this one is.
Time, place?? I dont know...
This is a Symons & Fowler bodied GMC that was new to Sinclair's South Gippsland Roadways of Leongatha in 3/50 and registered PE 545. I'm not sure what service it was used for with Sinclair's. It was sold to G Zeuschner also of Leongatha at an unknown date and then to V & R Lade of Yarram also at date unknown. It was used on school services during the week and on Sunday ran a stage service from Yarram to Melbourne and return (about 500 km). It was sold for a shed in Korrumburra around 1971, which may be where it is photographed.

Here is a John Masterton photo taken in 1966 at Meeniyan when it was with Lade:

system improver

Both of the other two buses are Whites, the first with an MBA body and the second with a Symons & Fowler body. MBA (Motor Body Assemblers of Camperdown NSW) made composite (wooden frames, metal panels) bodies for many years until they went out of business around 1960 (maybe someone has the exact date). A large proportion of their buses were to this forward control design on White chassis, dating from the mid 40s. Most went to NSW operators (as did the one in the photo) but some went to Victorian operators including one to Grenda's in 1950.

The second bus was new to Souter's Luxury Travel of Bendigo in November 1949 and registered OV 070. It was sold to Geelong Associated Buslines (GAB) around the mid 50s and finally to McHarry's when they bought GAB in 1968, where it saw out its remaining days. It was deregistered 22/12/70.

Here is a Bruce Tilley photo taken in Geelong in 1968:

I think it is quite a handsome vehicle for its day.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

The other picture of the White at Camperdown was built for Cooks Blayney NSW and another picture of the GAB White.Pictures from the Ken Magor and Graeme Turnbull collections.
Attachments
GEELONG ASSOCIATED BUSLINES WHITE OV-070
GEELONG ASSOCIATED BUSLINES WHITE OV-070
COOKS BUS SERVICE  WHITE  MO-080
COOKS BUS SERVICE WHITE MO-080
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
system improver

Bedford-29 wrote:The other picture of the White at Camperdown was built for Cooks Blayney NSW ...
And a WB20 chassis on a 230" wheelbase.

Bedford-29, do you have any idea when MBA ceased production?
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

The picture of MO-080 is sitting across the road from the MBA factory 92 Parramatta rd (Great Western Hwy) Camperdown the former MBA factory is now part of the University of Sydney.But someone on here might have a idea what year MBA ceased production as myself would like to know myself.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Thanks guys for the information on the above. What about this one?
More than likely the bus that Penny's privately ran from Korumburra to Warragul. This photo is of the bus in front of the Poowong School.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

The Great Southern Advocate ran these ads weekly in 1938.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Hursty wrote:Any clues to the identity of this SA registered Denning?
It looks like Delwood Coaches,who were on Port Road Woodville.They had another unrelated business.I remember them years ago.They had a PMC Adelaide 3 axle Apollo scania I think.They were immaculate coaches.One of their drivers was Lance Window,who might have been ex Bull's Bus Service on Port Road,Albert Park ,nearby.

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”