• Advertisement

Hurst's of Korumburra images

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Re: Hurst's of Korumburra images

Postby Hursty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:48 pm

burrumbus wrote:Was there a reason for the delivery of the buses in undercoat? That was a very unusual practice.Cheers.
As far as I know until I confirm with Dad, the reason most of the buses were ordered in undercoat was that Ralph preferred to have as much completed locally as possible, to promote growth in the area. At this point in time, Ralph was actively involved in the Shire of Korumburra, serving as an elected councillor 1946 - 1949, ruffling the feathers of a long standing member when change was needed in the area. Ralph reluctantly accepted the nomination and was elected in. I also believe that he was not yet convinced on the Livery that the business would settle on. Perhaps a clue is in the next bus.
Hursty

Favourite Vehicle: `66 Freighter

Postby Hursty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:53 pm

The 3rd OB to be purchased for the growing business is another 2 door version, TU-215 arrived in early February 1951, factory ordered in blue under silver with black wheels. TU-215 would become ZP-384 in April 1953 when as Ian Hurst recalls, the registration expired. With the many miles travelled, the registration documents show, many engines were replaced in all of the buses, therefore one can only surmise that TU-215 was off the road for a considerable time that warranted new registration.
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Arguably, my favourite photo of the Hurst collection would have to be this one. The 3 OB Bedfords and the Reo, crammed into the driveway of Queen Street, after a busy day out transporting children safely around the country side. If any picture can tell 1000 stories, this one certainly can. How on earth the family ended up fitting upto as many as 13 buses and a couple of mini buses and the mail contract vehicles, a private car or two onto this very property is beyond belief. Not to mention the drivers private vehicles. Queen Street must have been a busy place. Mind you, drivers lived in the homes around the depot and easily walked to and from work. All before my time on this earth, I am so very grateful that there are photos available to learn from.
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm

The first of the SB Bedfords with CAC bodies is next in line to be delivered to the RR Hurst and Sons business, as both Brian and Ian become regular drivers with their father Ralph. GAA-439 arrives at Queen Street in January 1953 in primer, ready to have a coat of royal blue and silver, once more painted locally.
Pictured is a cropped image of GAA-439 tucked away in the garage.
Last edited by Hursty on Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hursty

Postby E.L.Wood » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 pm

love this selection of shots, that first one of the buses at the high School is a cracker of a shot.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
E.L.Wood

Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Postby Hursty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:44 pm

A milestone is reached when in July 1954, the 10th bus arrives in primer at the Queen Street depot. Bedford SB CAC GEH-037 enters service. Without knowing disposal details at this point in time, I cannot ascertain how many of the 10 buses were in service. As my research widens, answers will become clear. This photo was taken in James Street, west of the School grounds in late 1955, parked up behind TU-215 waiting for school children to board. Must have been a sight in silver over dark blue.
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Bus 11 is a change in size when a mini bus is required for one of the runs. Ralph decided to purchase a Dodge Fargo Van, brand new in November 1955, delivered in beige, GKK-712 would enter service in late 1955 and eventually be painted in the standard silver and blue. The Fargo more than likely took the place of the Reo. Ralph became the regular driver of the Fargo, but remained active motoring around in the other buses as required.

Update May 2017: Located this colour image of the Fargo parked on the top driveway of the Queen Street Depot. Blue and Silver livery.
Last edited by Hursty on Thu May 11, 2017 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hursty

Postby Foden-nut » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 am

Hi David,
As my moniker suggests Fodens are my main interest, but I am a member of the UK's PSV Circle. We recently publshed a series of three books listing all known Bedford bus chassis from the very start through until the Bedford OB. Others will follow in due course on the SB and later models.
Inevitably some information, particularly regarding overseas vehicles is patchy or totally missing. Would it be possible for you to send me, by PM perhaps, all the information that you have regarding the Bedfords in the Hurst fleet, whether new or secondhand, and showing details of any that were reregistered whilst with the company. Our starting point is usually the chassis number.
Thanks, Foden-nut
Foden-nut

Favourite Vehicle: It has got to be a Foden!

Postby Hursty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 am

Hello Foden-nut, I will get those details to you in a PM in the near future.
Regards,
Hursty
Hursty

Postby stajourneyman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:22 am

Three questions :

1. At what point in time did Hurst's cease operation?

2. Does anybody have a fleet list for around the time of take over by the subsequent operators?

3. Does anybody have photos of their other vehicles, that operated in the 70s, 80s and 90s?
stajourneyman

Postby Foden-nut » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 am

Hi Hursty,
Thanks for that. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Foden-nut
Foden-nut

Favourite Vehicle: It has got to be a Foden!

Postby Hursty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:55 pm

stajourneyman wrote:Three questions :

1. At what point in time did Hurst's cease operation?

2. Does anybody have a fleet list for around the time of take over by the subsequent operators?

3. Does anybody have photos of their other vehicles, that operated in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

Brian Hurst sold the last Hurst run in 1999 to O'Neils. That's around 70 plus years of service to the local community. Subsequent operators are mostly Harley's amongst many others. - More info to come. Ralph helped out a lot of individuals over the years, selling runs to them once he set them up.
Ralph retired from full time driving around 1963, Ian (Ill health) sold his interest to Brian around 1975.
Fleet List?? The entire fleet dropped down to two runs only for the "ending" years, Brian and his son Trevor.
More photos to come, I'm a bit busy at the moment piecing together the buses and timeline. (Also purchased my own 67 Freighter and restoration has commenced.)
More than keen to see any photos at all, as the more modern buses are posted in this thread, I'm happy to have additional pictures posted.

Dave
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 am

Bus 12 sees another mini bus purchased, a brand new 1958 Morris Bus. Registered GVA-366 on 30th June 1958 and delivered in Blue and Silver, the 10 passenger Morris travelled many miles around South Gippsland. Photo's are rare of this vehicle, pictured here is the Morris in 1965.
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Sadly, my Dad, Ian Hurst passed away suddenly, a week ago today. Dad and I were busy getting together when we could and discussing the Hurst Bus history. Dad is reunited with his Dad and brother, the 3 Hurst lads together. We farewelled Dad with Glenn Coster's curved screen Bedford following the hearse.
Hursty

Postby burrumbus » Tue May 06, 2014 11:57 am

Deepest sympathy to you Hursty on the loss of your dad.Allan.
burrumbus

Postby stevegj52 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:03 pm

My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your dad Hursty. Such a nice way to Farwell him with the Bedford SB,I am sure he would have approved.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
stevegj52

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Postby Hursty » Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Bus 13 to join the fleet was a flat screen Bedford, GLC-140 purchased new in 1955, again painted locally by driver Norm Enbom. Norm lived next door to the depot for many years, there remains the steps he and the Hurst men made to access the depot from the block on the lower side of of the garage. Pictured is GLC-140 from the group photo.
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Thu May 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Some time lapsed before the purchase of Bus 14, as the fleet was reliably run with the existing OB and SB Bedfords. Now the topic of a replica, GZD-115 was purchased second hand from TL Calderwood. It was a curved screen CAC bodied SB that had a luggage rack on the roof. Ralph Hurst was approached by parents in Korumburra who lived a decent distance from the school to see if they could have a run within the town. GZD commenced service fulfilling this role. Pictured in George Street Korumburra by Mrs Foote as her son boards.
Pictured at the home of Ian Hurst is Glenn Coster's fine replica of GZD, a work in progress. Dad was so very proud that Glenn built this replica.
Hursty

Postby Hursty » Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm

3 Hurst Gentlemen. Ian Ralph Hurst, Ralph Reuben Hurst and Brian Trevor Hurst, pictured at the Korumburra Queen Street Depot beside one of Ralph's last new buses, prior to his retirement.
Hursty

Postby system improver » Sat May 17, 2014 8:48 am

Here is another shot of GZD-115 from Bruce Tilley. I'll leave it to Hursty to explain the other bus in the photo, a Mee bodied SB3 Bedford new to R & JM Wardell of 16 Gordon Street, North Wonthaggi on 24/2/65:
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Postby Hursty » Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Bus 15 sees the first of the Ansair bodied SB's hit the Gippsland roads. HSC-888 joined the fleet in March 1963.

Up until recently, the above photo was the only photo I had of this bus. Fortunately, Jack Chapple's sister provided me with a couple of shots when HSC was sold. The story goes - HSC-888 was sold to, I believe, a proprietor on King Island. Brian Hurst was never real keen on driving in the City/Suburbs of Melbourne, so Ian would deliver the bus to Port Melbourne where it was crane lifted onto a somewhat small ship for the journey into Bass Straight. Now I have worked in Bass Straight and looking at this photo, I'm amazed the bus made it to King Island. I have a sneaking suspicion that more than 1 of the Hurst fleet ended up there. More to come on that later. Jack Chapple followed Ian down to Port Melbourne and took the following photo on what looks like a terribly wet day. Dad remembers the trip down and the return trip in Jack's Land Rover.

Hursty

Postby system improver » Mon May 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Nice to see the occasional rear shot. My records show that the next new bus, HZK 999, another Ansair bodied SB3, new 6/64, took the same trip across to King Island.
system improver

Postby burrumbus » Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Did the 2 buses go to Geoff Dodge on King Island,System Improver ??
Cheers.
burrumbus

Postby Hursty » Mon May 19, 2014 11:37 pm

I cant thank System Improver enough for his assistance in getting the next instalment correct. I have to admit, the records I have are very patchy from this time on. As has been said, this bus, HZK-999 a new Ansair bodied Bedford was the next to enter service, bus 16 brand new in 1964. Brian Hurst was very proud of this bus, he really liked his Ansairs. Pictured next to HZK is Brian from the main Hurst photo, not that long after it's entry on the school run.

Here was what Brian found on a trip to King Island many years ago. It is pleasing to see that Uncle Brian could still rouse a smile seeing his once pride and joy now a derelict shell. One wonders what the elements have done to the old girl today?

A sad end to a bus that travelled many miles around Victoria and King Island.
Hursty

Postby system improver » Tue May 20, 2014 8:54 am

burrumbus wrote:Did the 2 buses go to Geoff Dodge on King Island,System Improver ??
Cheers.

They went to the King Island Scheelite (KIS) mine to carry the workers from Grassy. I note that the mine, closed in 1990 after tungsten prices fell, is just about to reopen. Perhaps they can find the old bus and restore it.
system improver

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Photos - Melbourne/Vic