Hurst's of Korumburra images

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Bedford-29

Re: Hurst's of Korumburra images

Post by Bedford-29 »

I`d say the old Bedford be just memory now and a pile of rust.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Hursty
Favourite Vehicle: `66 Freighter

Post by Hursty »

Bus 17 is a new purchase Bedford Ansair SB3, Registered as JDO-777, a time that creates some controversy within the Hurst business. As all good stories have many sides, the post following this post will describe what I have heard of the situation. Time changes stories and like Chinese whispers, I cant hold my hand on my heart and say it's 100% accurate, but I'm sure it'll make an interesting read.

JDO would be purchased with it's run by faithful driver and fleet painter and maintainer, Norm Enbom. Norm lived next to the depot and his daughter Jenny married into the Blackmore family who continued the run until recently when they sold to Alan Winterhalter.
Pictured is JDO-777 form the BCSV archives, many thanks to System Improver for the photo.

I am really interested in the bus following JDO in this image. It's a Freighter and I have no idea what it is. Any thoughts? Pictured ironically with Alan Winterhalter's home and property in the background.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Looking at the picture it be another Bedford SB following JDO-777.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Yes, with a Freighter body and aluminium side mouldings. Pre JLX-444 (will post soon) and I'm at a loss as to what she is?? Looks 1963/4 ish to me......
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Hursty wrote:Yes, with a Freighter body and aluminium side mouldings. Pre JLX-444 (will post soon) and I'm at a loss as to what she is?? Looks 1963/4 ish to me......
It's pre JLX-444, but was purchased much later. It's second hand. The bus was new to Bridgland's in Adelaide in 7/12/65. It was sold and reregistered to Hurst's, via Sellick, 10/71, as KYA 666. Here is the Bruce Tilley photo:

Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Some amazing history here.Thanks for sharing.Nothing better like looking back on bus history.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for continuing this great series Hursty.Enjoying it so much.
Bus 17 JDO 777 would have been sold to Norm Enbom with the Korumburra-Moyarra contract.Do you have a date that Norm Enbom purchased the bus and contract.Hursty.Cheers.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

In 1965, Hurst's driver, Ron Wardell decided to bid against RR Hurst and Son's contract that he was fulfilling. This was unknown at the time and Hurst's lost the contract. Ron purchased his own bus to service the run, I recall Dad telling me that "Barrel" as he was known, soon after taking delivery crashed this new bus he had, thankfully no passengers were on board at the time. Even after being under cut for the contract, Ralph being the gentleman he was, provided "Barrel" with a bus to fulfill the run until repairs were carried out on the contracted bus. Otherwise he would have lost the contract. Ironically, Hurst's had a spare bus from losing the contract. After this, Barrel's bus joined as part of the Hurst fleet at Queen Street, parked in the top drive between runs.
Information supplied from System Improver: R & JM Wardell of 16 Gordon Street, North Wonthaggi had a Mee bodied Bedford SB3 (looks a bit short) that was new 24/2/65. It was still on the road on 1984, after which I don’t have records.

Russell Mee was a Melbourne body builder who began as a worker for Northern Engineering which began bodying buses in 1957 mainly on Austin chassis. When they ceased business in 1962, he took over and set up his own business in West Heidelberg. He, and his brother Brian, also had various attempts at running a bus route. Eventually, they settled on mainly disabled school runs and were able to build their own special buses. They also branched out into general charter and still exist today managed by their sons. Russell Mee died a few years ago but his brother, now near 90, is still alive. Their bodies were rather idiosyncratic. They no longer build bus bodies, but still do special alteration work.

Pictured is Wardell's Mee bodied Bedford JDO-784 in the top driveway of the Queen Street Depot
JDO-784 on the way to Korumburra High School
Bruce Tilley Images.
Hursty

Post by Hursty »

Bus 18 for RR Hurst and Son's was purchased in 1966 brand new by Ian Hurst, the first Freighter bodied Bedford SB3 to join the fleet. Registered JLX-444, Ian purchased the Freighter to replace his aging OB Bedford. This bus is the subject of my own replica as to me it is the nicest of all the Hurst fleet and I was lucky enough to purchase it's sister, JRO-825. Ian was pleased with the Freighter except for some rear end issues with the floor and body behind the axle, Dad recalled that it was returned to Freighter's workshop for re-enforcing a couple of times. The re-enforcing was said to look something like the Sydney Harbour bridge underneath the flooring there were that many cross braces installed, all under warranty. Ian would stick with the Freighter bodies whereas Brian would prefer Ansair's. JRO-825 has not suffered the same issue in regards to re-enforcing. When I purchased it, Dad was pleased to know that Freighter's had rectified the design issue that JLX-444 suffered.

JLX-444 in the Queen Street Depot driveway.
Bruce Tilley Image
JRO-825, partially converted to a motorhome when purchased in November 2013.
David Hurst Image

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”