Busways 1HD.2YC (Optare Tempo, demonstrator). 20/12/18

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Busways 1HD.2YC (Optare Tempo, demonstrator). 20/12/18

Post by The Inspector »

Has AdMet CB80 fever
Cordes Express
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Re: Busways 1HD.2YC (Optare Tempo, demonstrator). 20/12/18

Post by Cordes Express »

Not a bad looking bus...
BDAT

Post by BDAT »

Thank you Inspector. this bus does look good in the flesh :D
jaiangeloni

Post by jaiangeloni »

The Inspector wrote:Busways 1HD.2YC (Optare Tempo, demonstrator). 20/12/18
Do you know which routes it’ll be running? Keen to have a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

jaiangeloni wrote: Do you know which routes it’ll be running? Keen to have a look!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Optare has been running out of Glendenning depot so it'll most likely be sticking to Blacktown-area runs. I did see it a few times on the 729 and I got a chance to ride it on one occasion - doesn't seem like a bad vehicle on the inside, the low floor extends further than any CB80 that Busways has in service at present (apparently Custom have a habit of putting the first steps after the first row of seats following the single-leaf rear door), but it did seem a bit low on engine output, I dunno, the bus felt a bit sluggish as I was riding it.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's no Leyland National but it's half decent and has clean styling at least.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The Tempo has been running for a few years with Carbridge at Sydney and Perth airports and I've ridden it a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLY_LrsiJh8

It's nice enough, a bit noisy on the outside but with a spacious feel inside. The Carbridge buses have three doors (two of which are between the axles) in order to deal with their turnovers within short dwells/all-door loading) and this gives the impression that maybe the wheelbase is longer than typical. As somebody said above, it appears that the steps up to the high floor are further back than on a CB80 - or maybe it's an optical illusion. A bit hard to compare without seeing the technical specs.

In terms of their capability with huge crowds and high turnover (which is what you see on the airport services), the high floor at the back is still a liability - plus the third door should ideally be at the rear - but the steps are kinder than those in the Gemilang electrics and encourage maybe a few more people to go down the back to stand. As the Carbridge manager says in this video, they are taking on as many as 70 to 80 people and then turning them over quickly and I suspect the Optares deal with that a little better than the Gemilangs that stall at about 60 passengers because the high floor is cut off by those forbidding steps and nobody wants to stand up there.

You can ride the Optares at Sydney Airport (Blue Emu carpark), but it's now pot luck to get one as preference is given to the Gemilangs and diesel buses seem to be rostered few and far between and they have other diesels as well as the Optares. The video review seemed to suggest an issue getting them above 60 km/h which might limit the possibilities for wider urban service. I will be interested to hear feedback on the Busways one.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Could someone get busways to put the route number on the kerb side of the desto please?

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”