Photo Request - V Set Series 1

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
idontknow556

Photo Request - V Set Series 1

Post by idontknow556 »

Hi guys, I am wondering if any of you guys have photos of the interior of the series 1 V set carriages. I am looking for photos of DCF,DDC,DTF and DTC. Thanks.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Photo Request - V Set Series 1

Post by Swift »

I can describe them to you. They looked strikingly old inside compared to the much improved second series that arrived in 1977 which was the basis of the V set interiors you see today.
The window sills were larger in that they intruded further into the cabin. You could quite easily rest objects on them like a small shelf! Looked quite snazzy actually. There were rectangle a/c vents built into the pillars between the windows instead of the longitudinal ducting running above you. The fluorescent lighting ran perpendicular to the windows in the centre of the ceiling, about one every metre, instead if running strips parallel on both sides of the aisle and the cabin looked more arch shaped as you looked along it from the end, rather than tubular like the fuselage of a plane like today's do. I also read that the seats were originally blue and green ones were later fitted when all motor cars were converted to trailers in the early 80s. I recall the a/c system was quite vocal when you walked in, making a deep groaning noise. This further gave the impression that they were considerably older than the other sets, despite looking near identical on the outside.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

This was posed on the SETS facebook page recently, photo from 2004

Swift

Post by Swift »

These were actually the first stainless double deckers! Mind blown when I grew up thinking they were based on the suburbans.
I recall seeing the the build date of 1969 stamped on the Commonwealth Engineering (under licence to Budd Philadelphia USA) name plate on one carriage. The design would have been finalised years before that, and design submissions including a very close resemblance to the final product even earlier. Some very visionary people behind our transport back then, not just for music and social change!
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated
Swift

Post by Swift »

The ceiling was originally the same colour (or similar) as the window surround panels. You can see the features I described in the excellent facebook photo posted by Ikarbus.
If you follow the pillars downward, you get an idea of the broad window sills. They were nice to sit next to and gave a further sensation of luxury.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Did these come out with "first class" seating? Those seats may have been a different colour.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

They initially had first class seating on the upper deck however they were removed in 1974. But only the trailer and driving trailer cars had first class. The power cars had all economy seating.
White Super Power

Post by White Super Power »

idontknow556 wrote:They initially had first class seating on the upper deck however they were removed in 1974. But only the trailer and driving trailer cars had first class. The power cars had all economy seating.
The Vet Set Series 1 were never known as V Sets. They were U Sets when they ran as complete sets known as Blue Goose Sets. Due to reliability problems they were made into trailer cars and then placed into V Sets.
Swift

Post by Swift »

White Super Power wrote:
The Vet Set Series 1 were never known as V Sets. They were U Sets when they ran as complete sets known as Blue Goose Sets. Due to reliability problems they were made into trailer cars and then placed into V Sets.
Does anyone have recollections how they sounded compared to a cam V-set? I realise they're were essentially completely different trains underneath.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”