• Advertisement

CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby The Inspector » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:15 pm

CDC "CharterPlus" TV.9266 (Volgren/ Volvo B9TL) seen departing the Volgren factory at Ingleburn. 30/5/18
Attachments
aCDC_CharterPlus_TV9266_VolvoB9TL_Ingleburn_(30_5_18_A).jpg
aCDC_CharterPlus_TV9266_VolvoB9TL_Ingleburn_(30_5_18_B).jpg
aCDC_CharterPlus_TV9266_VolvoB9TL_Ingleburn_(30_5_18_D).jpg
aCDC_CharterPlus_TV9266_VolvoB9TL_Ingleburn_(30_5_18_E).jpg
Has AdMet CB80 fever
User avatar
The Inspector
 
Posts: 7504
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:35 pm
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 783 times
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby BanksfielderIdiot823 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:41 am

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

Very nicely done getting those pictures.
Just forever waiting for a Volgren Optimus, let alone a Volgren Optimus Volvo B9TL, to cruise by Edensor Park...
BanksfielderIdiot823
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:11 am
Location: Edensor Park, NSW
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren bodies on Volvos

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Tim Williams » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Has this been out and about much??

I guess that it cannot be used on normal TfNSW route service, if so, I bet CDC would have purchased this at a very good price!!!
Tim Williams
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Tim Williams » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:56 pm

I meant to add that it is a great pity that the weight issue destroyed Volgren's sale prospects with this design as I am sure it is a highly competent product and it happens to look very good as well!
Tim Williams
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby boronia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:33 pm

It is now registered so I would assume there is no longer a weight issue?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17687
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Tim Williams » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Yes, that's good point, but why is it not in the main fleet and in TfNSW colours, so it can be used on route services?
Tim Williams
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby boronia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Presumably CDC bought it themselves, not TfNSW, so it can't be used on contracted services.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17687
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby BDAT » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:24 pm

I understand it is going to ECRL service but that has not been confirmed.
BDAT
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby OLYMPIAN » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 pm

BDAT wrote:I understand it is going to ECRL service but that has not been confirmed.

It wont be going to ECRL shutdown, all ECRL vehicle must be a TfNSW contracted vehicle
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
User avatar
OLYMPIAN
 
Posts: 3205
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Enviro 500
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 52 times
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Swift » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 pm

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote:Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

Very nicely done getting those pictures.

Maybe with a livery. That's disgusting.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby boronia » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 pm

"whitegoods" comes to the bus industry.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17687
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Swift » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 pm

Some people have strange taste. Those same ones who like ketchup on their ice cream lol.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby BanksfielderIdiot823 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Swift wrote:
Maybe with a livery. That's disgusting.


That's your own opinion on display.

I personally don't care if there's a livery or not. It's a Volgren; that's good enough anywhere in my books. And just the fact that NSW finally has a Volgren Optimus Decker/Volvo B9TL (ever since that GVM mess back in 2015) made me feel relief, so worry about yourself and don't try to change my view on this.
Just forever waiting for a Volgren Optimus, let alone a Volgren Optimus Volvo B9TL, to cruise by Edensor Park...
BanksfielderIdiot823
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:11 am
Location: Edensor Park, NSW
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren bodies on Volvos

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 pm

We'll respectfully agree to disagree ok.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby lunchbox » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Isn't driving the third axle rather than the second unusual for a 3-axle bus?
lunchbox
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 129 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Swift » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:44 pm

lunchbox wrote:Isn't driving the third axle rather than the second unusual for a 3-axle bus?

They have made the major step of no longer requiring that ridiculous twin steer set up. Hopefully, we'll see the day when 2.55m width can be accommodated on planet NSW.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby bussie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:21 am

lunchbox wrote:Isn't driving the third axle rather than the second unusual for a 3-axle bus?

This is actually the "traditional" British DD layout that dates back to the Atlanteans, and then continued with the Olympian. The driveline is mounted transversely, and connected to the rear axle through an angle drive.

When Leyland developed the 3 axle Olympian, they added the tag axle in front of the driving axle as it would be difficult to add it to the back with a transverse engine layout. Leyland Buses then got bought over by Volvo, who continued production of the Olympian (now badged as a Volvo). Then came the low floor B10TL Super Olympian, and then finally the B9TL. In some way, this a distant descendant of the Atlantean.

This line of Volvo 3 axle DD products are now superseded by the B8L Double Deck with a longitudinally mounted engine design that allows for the drive axle to be placed in front of the tag axle.
bussie
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:35 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Mitch » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:45 am

boronia wrote:It is now registered so I would assume there is no longer a weight issue?


Would this therefore mean that Bustech’s decker could now be built with a single front axle and a dual rear, rather than the opposite like it’s current setup? Or is that a different issue?

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
User avatar
Mitch
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Geelong
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 108 times
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Tim Williams » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:25 am

I fail ,to understand why some people have a problem with Bustech's twin steer, I think they should be congratulated in coming up with an innovative design that conforms to our highly restrictive axle weights - I do ackowedge that weight allowances have been increased since the CDI first appeared.

But, what is wrong with a twin steer set up? trucks use the layout extensively and the internal layout does not seem to be compromised as the seating capacity is 96 seated passengers, although achieved with a length of 12.5 metres.

If their were desiign/operational weaknesses, then I wouldn't think that the larger users CDC in NSW and and Skybus in Vic would continue to buy more units.
Tim Williams
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby boronia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:38 am

Mitch wrote:
boronia wrote:It is now registered so I would assume there is no longer a weight issue?


Would this therefore mean that Bustech’s decker could now be built with a single front axle and a dual rear, rather than the opposite like it’s current setup? Or is that a different issue?

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:

Twin steer is usually invoked when there is a weight issue over the front axle. There is a 6 tonne limit on steering axles.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17687
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby OLYMPIAN » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Tim Williams wrote:I fail ,to understand why some people have a problem with Bustech's twin steer, I think they should be congratulated in coming up with an innovative design that conforms to our highly restrictive axle weights - I do ackowedge that weight allowances have been increased since the CDI first appeared.

But, what is wrong with a twin steer set up? trucks use the layout extensively and the internal layout does not seem to be compromised as the seating capacity is 96 seated passengers, although achieved with a length of 12.5 metres.

If their were desiign/operational weaknesses, then I wouldn't think that the larger users CDC in NSW and and Skybus in Vic would continue to buy more units.



Twin steer does waste of space as on the convertional 3 axle DD, they normally have seats over the wheel arch, in this case it may have lost at least 4 seats, also it need to be carefully maintain as it may affect the performance on the steering. Neoplan used to built 4 axles double decker with twin steers (some of us may have seen it in 1992 UITP exhibition in darling harbour), as the length changes in Europe, only 12 Megashuttle built and they have turn to manufacturing 3 axle 14.5m DD which have the same capacity

Also axle weight has change, the main problem with axle weight is 14t on the previous tandem axle, when other parts of the world are calculated indivdually which gives 17t on the tandem


With the rules now, is still 2 tonnes lower than world standard of 24t

https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/c2016g01130-nsw-vic-class-3-bus-mass-limit-exemption-amendment-notice-no1.pdf
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
User avatar
OLYMPIAN
 
Posts: 3205
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Enviro 500
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 52 times
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby Swift » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Now to work on allowing 5cm extra width, if only on a limited basis like the 14.5 single deckers.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby boronia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:41 pm

OLYMPIAN wrote:
Tim Williams wrote:I fail ,to understand why some people have a problem with Bustech's twin steer, I think they should be congratulated in coming up with an innovative design that conforms to our highly restrictive axle weights - I do ackowedge that weight allowances have been increased since the CDI first appeared.

But, what is wrong with a twin steer set up? trucks use the layout extensively and the internal layout does not seem to be compromised as the seating capacity is 96 seated passengers, although achieved with a length of 12.5 metres.

If their were desiign/operational weaknesses, then I wouldn't think that the larger users CDC in NSW and and Skybus in Vic would continue to buy more units.



Twin steer does waste of space as on the convertional 3 axle DD, they normally have seats over the wheel arch, in this case it may have lost at least 4 seats, also it need to be carefully maintain as it may affect the performance on the steering. Neoplan used to built 4 axles double decker with twin steers (some of us may have seen it in 1992 UITP exhibition in darling harbour), as the length changes in Europe, only 12 Megashuttle built and they have turn to manufacturing 3 axle 14.5m DD which have the same capacity

Also axle weight has change, the main problem with axle weight is 14t on the previous tandem axle, when other parts of the world are calculated indivdually which gives 17t on the tandem


With the rules now, is still 2 tonnes lower than world standard of 24t

https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/c2016g01130-nsw-vic-class-3-bus-mass-limit-exemption-amendment-notice-no1.pdf


IIRC, that Neoplan was more than 14.5 long, maybe about 16 metres?

Didn't some get built for use in Canada?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17687
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby BanksfielderIdiot823 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:09 am

Well thanks to Michael Mete who has uploaded a picture of TV 9266 in Olympic Park on the P3 Carpark Shuttle run.

I'm in a bit of a rush right now, so I'll just leave the link right here.

http://www.businterchange.com/busint/open.cgi?id=6048
Just forever waiting for a Volgren Optimus, let alone a Volgren Optimus Volvo B9TL, to cruise by Edensor Park...
BanksfielderIdiot823
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:11 am
Location: Edensor Park, NSW
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren bodies on Volvos

Re: CDC CharterPlus Volgren decker. 30/5/18

Postby OLYMPIAN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:16 pm

boronia wrote:
IIRC, that Neoplan was more than 14.5 long, maybe about 16 metres?

Didn't some get built for use in Canada?


The Neoplan Megaliner is the coach version of Megashuttle, still a 15m quad axles twin steer design.

Some were built for NASA in US
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
User avatar
OLYMPIAN
 
Posts: 3205
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Enviro 500
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 52 times
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian



  • Advertisement

Return to Photos - Sydney/NSW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest