Comeng Thru Woollahra 2007.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Comeng Thru Woollahra 2007.

Post by Swift »

Ten years ago emerging from the Bondi Jcn tunnel going past the station that never was.
Attachments
RBSize.jpg
RBSize.jpg (299.61 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Re: Comeng Thru Woollahra 2007.

Post by lunchbox »

It wasn't always so green....
Attachments
Woolarah Station site, 1975.
Woolarah Station site, 1975.
P7233729.JPG (94.69 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
Swift

Post by Swift »

Can we see the original picture please? I have never seen that before and Google images has yielded nothing so far. I'm surprised the portal hasn't been completed by then, as I read that the tunnelling was completed by 1969?
I can't believe Neville Wran was seriously considering not even opening a railway along here when he won office in 76, considering using it as a road or tramway, after all that work and decades of planning. Thankfully, sanity prevailed and we got a railway, probably helped by his election pledge of better public transport.
Politically, it was a miracle it got realised at all. It was the result of Askin's gamble of gaining a seat, which failed!!
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.....the original is at -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/intervene ... 183175379/
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

Swift wrote:I'm surprised the portal hasn't been completed by then, as I read that the tunnelling was completed by 1969?
The 1976 review into the project has a project has its status, and although the tunnels are complete, track bed is maybe 2/3 complete. So tunnels aren't even fully lined in 1976. Construction looks really haphazard - eg viaducts built early, but then taken so very long to fit out. Some is the effects of the Woollahra reaidents' injunction that restricted tunnelling hours, but much just seems to be poor (at least by today's standards) projects management coupled with drip-feeding of the funding.
Swift

Post by Swift »

hornetfig wrote:
The 1976 review into the project has a project has its status, and although the tunnels are complete, track bed is maybe 2/3 complete. So tunnels aren't even fully lined in 1976. Construction looks really haphazard - eg viaducts built early, but then taken so very long to fit out. Some is the effects of the Woollahra reaidents' injunction that restricted tunnelling hours, but much just seems to be poor (at least by today's standards) projects management coupled with drip-feeding of the funding.
I saw an aerial photograph of The Potts Point/ Darlinghurst area from 1974 and you could see the Woolloomoolloo viaduct with railway tracks already laid in parts.
The line almost took the entire 1970s to finally open after bits and bobs were apparent. People must have wondered when the thing would finally carry fare paying passengers around!!
Those viaducts still look strikingly futuristic today. A credit to the engineers in the early 1970s.

EDIT: here is the picture taken 1974 from Ozroads site.
Last edited by Swift on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Imagine if the line had to be built today it would have be deep level similar to the Airport & ECRL. Imagine a station was built there it would be a Edgecliff or mini Bondi Jn.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”