Tram identification anyone ?

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Tram identification anyone ?

Post by Centralian »

I've come across this photocopied image of 2 trams having been made additions to a house. Would anyone know the tram class and whether these were Sydney trams.
The image is quite old ('60's or '70's) and I suspect the trams have long become history to the elements. I have no info with the image but suspect it may be in the Blue Mountains
in the Katoomba / Leura area.
700.jpg
700.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Tram identification anyone ?

Post by boronia »

The car on the right looks like a C type. There was one of these at Mt Vic back in the 70s, now with SPER being converted to its experimental double deck form.

The tram on the left appears to be an R or R1 type.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

There were 5 C class that had 6 windows each side they were 9,10,11,12 and 13 three were converted to breakdown trams 11 became 57s,12 became 56s and 13 became 59s the one in the picture could be either C 9 or 10.The other tram to me looks like a D class.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I think you're right about the D type which makes this rather a rare picture. Looks like a picture from the 1920s or 30s but there is no record of any of the Ds being sold off at that stage.They were,however, advertised for sale along with many withdrawn Cs and the bogie Gs. It is known that a number of C and D were completely broken up at Leichhardt Depot in the 1920s and of course we now know that all the Gs were burnt at Randwick. There is also a story of D 111 being seen dumped in a paddock on the side of Parramatta Road around Clyde in the 1920s.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I have found some more information about the 'tram house' from notes taken in 1992 during an oral history interview and their locality was Blue Mountains.
It is stated that the trams were purchased in 1925. ( allow plus or minus for an account being given by a third party some 65 years later).
The lady that had bought certain land wrote to the Minister for Railways Mr Fraser for permission to buy 2 trams.
Gained permission and they were brought up by rail and then carted by horse to the location. The sight of trams being hauled by horse into the bush caused
some concern among locals as they didn't want a tram squatter settlement being established. A local builder built the room between the two trams and then the owner moved in.
I shall travel out to try and find the locality in the near future and see what I can uncover 90 years later, but I don't expect much.

Edited 12/10/15: My misread of notes - permission was sought from Minister for Railways to bring the two trams up to the Mountains by train
and this permission was given. My guess is probably to Katoomba as this had facilities for off loading freight etc.
Last edited by Centralian on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Fascinating Centralian . 6 windowed C type car No 9 and D type car 113 were both written off the NSWTD accounts on 29 11 25. They were probably ended up together in the Randwick Workshops yard when sent there in 1925 to be scrapped. No proof but the year 1925 could be significant.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Seems pointless having them intrude into the main building.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

D 111,112 and 121 were sold to E.R & S Port Kembla for conversation and construction of steeple cab locomotives in service 1927-1956.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Only the trucks were sold.No D class car has ever turned up in a paddock or built into a house etc is what I mean -until now
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

just a question would not a lot of bush fires gone throught the blue mountains since 1925!? :roll: :shock: plus the house built of timber!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”