• Advertisement

The History of Hammondville Bus Service-The Redman Era 2

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

The History of Hammondville Bus Service-The Redman Era 2

Postby Leopard_071 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Just a few more photos given to me from the late Allan Redman hope you enjoy them, There nothing like a good old bit of history when it comes to buses. I would like to thank all the people who added commentes & photos to my last 2 topics. So here we go again. Hammondville Bus Service had the best colour scheme in Liverpool & 1 of the best in Sydney. The buses were always kept in immaculate presentation and condion. Great credit to Allan & all of his staff. Just look at some of the operators of today//// They would not know how to paint or wash a bus. Just look so called Operators who buy ex Govt. Mercs and don't wash them, let alone paint them, I can't belive the Schools use them for charters. There is no meaning to T.V. plates these days the only has to be less than 30 years old.///yak////.
Attachments
T.D.'s271.jpg
Mo 4149 MBA rebodied Leyland, had to add this photo to show H'ville's great colur scheme///////
T.D.'s271.jpg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
T.D's601a.jpg
Mo4620 Com.Eng.Albion Victor 2nd new bus to H'ville Bus. Just look at those colours. This great looking bus was sold to a scouts group after service with Westway, what a same.
T.D's601a.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
T.D's602.jpg
Mo4527 Superior Albion Viking new to H'ville Bus. I think this was Allan's 1st Superior bodied bus Allan got from his brother Brian,if correct it would be H'ville's 3rd new bus
T.D's602.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
T.D's603.jpg
Mo4890 Superior Albion Viking new to H'ville Bus. I think this was Allan's 4th new bus, 2nd one from his brother Brian.
T.D's603.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
T.D's604.jpg
Mo5936 P.M.C. Albion Viking new to H'ville Bus
T.D's604.jpg (23.7 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
T.D's605.jpg
Mo5934 Custom Coaches Albion Viking new to H'ville Bus.
T.D's605.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
T.D'606.jpg
Mo5524 Superior Rear Engine Albion new to H'vlle bus
T.D'606.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
T.D's607.jpg
Mo5213 Superior Rear engine Albion new to H'ville Bus, The guy in the centre is Frank Rowlley, he has been with H'ville Bus since the Moore's owership, he lived in the old house beside the depot behind Allan's house.
T.D's607.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Last edited by Leopard_071 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leopard_071

Re: Hammondville Bus Service-The Redman Era 2

Postby Albion Victor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Once again an astounding record of an interesting operation!

Yes, I agree that the livery was excellent and that the buses always seemd well cared for, (I benchmark them against the likes of the Oliveri fleet at the time, panels damaged, paint ordinary, masonite in missing windows etc), and those Superior bodies, SO different to what was about then! They say you learn something new every day, mine for today is who was building the Superior bodies!

Does anyone have colour photos of the Vikings that they might post to highlight the livery please? ( No offence regarding those already here)!

What a great thread, I remember those days well.
Albion Victor

Favourite Vehicle: REO

Re: Hammondville Bus Service-The Redman Era 2

Postby Leopard_071 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Allan Redman's brother Brain startered off building ambulances for the Queensland Ambulance Service when his contract was complete Allan suggested that he build buses. I don't know how many he built or for how many companies { I am sure someone will tell us } but I do know that they were "popping up" everywhere. He evern built Coahes. Hope some one can supply more history on Superior Body Buses & Coaches.
Leopard_071

Re: The History of Hammondville Bus Service-The Redman Era 2

Postby karenredman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I just came across your posts today as I googled Allan Redman, Hammondville Bus Service.
Allan Redman was my Dad and I don't know if I met any of you but I was his shadow once I grew out of nappies.
I was born in 1960 so am now over 50 but would love to hear anything you guys know or remember about my Dad. :shock:

Your posts are so true; his buses were immaculate and so well looked after and his passion for buses were amazing.
I recognise a lot of the photos you've posted and would like to know more about my Dad personally if any of you knew him well?

Thanks,

Karen Redman.
karenredman

Postby Hornibrook » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:56 pm

m/o 4890 is actually a Redman, Mitchell & Co body - constructed in Milton, QLD (near the CBD) during April 1965. Redman, Mitchell & Co was a short lived body building partnership between Brian Redman and Bill Mitchell (then owner of Charter Coaches / Brisbane Bus Lines) - which bodied vehicles at the Mitchell's depot in Douglas Street, Milton.

From what I have on hand the partnership operated between 1964 and 1966. After this Brian Redman left to form Superior.
Hornibrook

Postby Leopard_071 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Karen my name is Terry {Leopard 071} I lived on Moorebank Ave., at the end of the lane that ran from Cooper Ave to Moorebank Ave I used to hang around the depot from when I was 12 years of age.Your dad helped me obtain my bus driver's . I only worked casual - casual for your dad. STC the factory on Moorebank Ave. used to hire about 12 buses each year for their Xmas party at The Royal National Park and I would drive 1 of them Also when I was working for the Army at 2BOD army stores on Moorebank Ave., your dad would would park a bus, most times mo4191, at the entrance to the stores and I would come out at 4;15 pm and drive the bus to Liverpool Stn the back to the depot. your dad & mum where great people, I used to have meals at your place often. You may remember Warren Haydon who lived next to depot in the white fribro house Warren moved to Vancouver and passed away 2 years ago. My favourite was mo4620 your dad's 2nd new bus. I could go on & on about what a great guy your dad was but if you would like to get in touch you can call me on 0419408078. I still drive buses for a couple hours on Tue. Wed. & Thursday for Interline buses. :D :)
Leopard_071

• Advertisement

Return to Photos - Sydney/NSW