Otago Heritage Bus Society Incorporated

New Zealand Transport Discussion

Moderator: Vitalstatistix

Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Otago Heritage Bus Society Incorporated

Post by Vitalstatistix »

Has anyone heard of the recently established incorporated society? Sounds very interesting with what they are planning to do...

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK1105/S ... ky-bus.htm
Bus restorers desperately seek shelter for leaky bus
Wednesday, 25 May 2011, 11:42 am
Press Release: Otago Heritage Bus Society
Bus restorers desperately seek shelter for leaky bus

The recently formed Otago Heritage Bus Society Incorporated has just taken delivery of Citibus Ltd.ʼs last Leyland Leopard bus, No 194, and plans to restore her to original 1981 condition.

194 has a roof leak and is slowly filling with water. The bus's floor is beginning to rot.

The Society needs undercover shelter from a willing landowner on very friendly terms.

It is hoped that a long-term relationship with an owner of one of Dunedin's large heritage buildings could develop.

The bus restoration project could form part of a heritage trail that is developing around Dunedin's steam, shipping, gas and other industrial heritage projects.
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
Bus_Nutter

Re: Otago Heritage Bus Society Incorporated

Post by Bus_Nutter »

I think Im in a postion to be able to say that Leyland Leopard 194 now has a home at the Gasworks Museum in South Dunedin hopefully I will get to see it and photograph her this weekend. They have a website http://www.otagoheritagebus.co.nz/ and also on Facebook search for Otago heritage bus society and it will show up their facebook page. Check out their website very professional I thought
Bus_Nutter

Post by Bus_Nutter »

Well I feel its high time for a big update on Dunedin's only heritage bus operator - now having lept from one in 2011 to now 6 with three ex Dunedin Leyland Leopards in the fleet the fleet now consists of the following buses 170 - 1976 Emsilie Leopard 174 - 1976 Emslie Leopard 194 - 1981 NZMB Leopard. 405 - 1990 MAN 10-100 501 - 1977 Denning and with a couple of more buses to come. Three days a year OHBS under takes operations on routes in Dunedin on Xmas Day , Good Friday and Easter Sunday, Gold goin will see you be able to get anywhere along either the St Clair - Normanby Route and Also St Kilda - Brockville / Halfway Bush. Having been in Dunedin now for two Easter Weekend periods and helped out on services this has become quite a good concept and planning for xmas 2014 is well advanced. Reports are that 405 ex Citibus MAN 10-100 will have its first day in service since joining the fleet. So if anyone is around Dunedin next Easter jump on the bus and have a ride with us. The growl of a Leyland Leopard in full service is too much to give up.
rainbowbus
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland/Daimler Fleetline

Post by rainbowbus »

Glad to hear the updates Bus_Nutter, while bus operations in Dunedin has changed much over the past few years, it is great to hear that a good number of buses have been preserved. Unfortunately I am too far away to give a helping hand.

Attached are a couple of photos of the preserved buses during Citibus times for your enjoyment.
Leyland Leopard 194- September 2007
Leyland Leopard 194- September 2007
PICT2947-001.JPG (123.08 KiB) Viewed 19592 times
MAN 10.100 405- November 2007
MAN 10.100 405- November 2007
PICT3603-001.JPG (83.61 KiB) Viewed 19592 times
Bus_Nutter

Post by Bus_Nutter »

even though your to far away to help Rainbow bus a membership to the group is helpful read the newsletters and check out the facebook page sometimes... more buses set to join the fleet details when they are made public

Return to “New Zealand Transport Discussion”