Proposed Chadstone to Moorabbin bus route

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Mike M

Proposed Chadstone to Moorabbin bus route

Post by Mike M »

My mother in law, who lives in the Bentleigh electorate, has received a flyer from her local MP advertising a community meeting to discuss a proposed new bus route from Chadstone to Moorabbin Station.

The meeting will be held at 7pm on Wednesday 27 September at St Johns Anglican Church, 624 Centre Road (corner Tucker Road), Bentleigh.

The proposed route is from Chadstone via Poath Road, North Road, East Boundary Road, McKinnon Road, Tucker Road & South Road to Moorabbin Station. It would serve Hughesdale Station, Glen Eira Sports & Aquatic Centre, McKinnon Secondary College, Tucker Road Primary School & Holmsglen Private Hospital & TAFE on the way. A route length of 10.5km with a journey time of 30 mins is quoted.

The section from Chadstone to North Road would duplicate route 767 but from North Road to South Road would be on roads currently unserved. There is no mention in the flyer of any possible changes to other routes in the area.
Heihachi_73

Re: Proposed Chadstone to Moorabbin bus route

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I hope it's better than the Chadstone to Eastland route. If it's hourly at any time of the day or night it's already a failure.
PaxInfo

Proposed Route 627: Moorabbin - Chadstone

Post by PaxInfo »

http://www.nickstaikos.com.au/media-rel ... g-in-2019/
The Andrews Labor Government’s new bus route 627 is arriving in 2019.

Member for Bentleigh Nick Staikos said the new route will unlock access to Chadstone Shopping Centre and Glen Eira Sports and Aquatic Centre for residents of Moorabbin, Bentleigh and East Bentleigh.

The route will run from Moorabbin Station to Chadstone Shopping Centre, via Tucker Road, East Boundary Road and Murrumbeena Road. It will provide access to trains on the Frankston line and the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines, with stops at Moorabbin Station and the newly rebuilt station at Murrumbeena.

Removing the level crossing at Murrumbeena Road in April has made the addition of this new route easier, with buses now able to travel across the rail line without getting stuck behind boom gates.

The Labor Government will be calling for expressions of interest from bus operators for the new bus route, with contracts expected to be awarded later this year.

Route 627 is part of the Labor Government’s investment in new bus services announced in this year’s budget.

More information about the new route will be available at ptv.vic.gov.au in the lead up to the commencement of services.

This is not the first time 627 ran in the area. The old unlamented 627 ran for many years on an indirect path between Elsternwick and Brighton East before it was split, simplified, extended and upgraded to the 625 and 626 we know now. Background: https://www.danielbowen.com/2010/09/01/ ... k-bus-627/
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
1whoknows

Re: Proposed Route 627: Moorabbin - Chadstone

Post by 1whoknows »

The former 627 was of course an amalgamation of three earlier runs, the original Camden and quite simple route 627 from Elsternwick to Chadstone and the 620/ 621 covering the McKinnon-Chadstone-Carnegie - Caulfield and Gardiner areas run by Royena Motors.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Craig

Re: Proposed Route 627: Moorabbin - Chadstone

Post by Craig »

Note the key change from the proposal from last year, when the route was planned to travel along Poath Rd via Hughesdale.

http://www.nickstaikos.com.au/media-rel ... bentleigh/

I've previously argued it would make sense for this new route to cover Marlborough Rd to allow 822 to be straightened, although this would mean 822 would no longer offer north-south access to Moorabbin Hospital on Centre Rd.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Mike M

New Chadstone to Moorabbin bus route

Post by Mike M »

A media release from NIck Staikos, the state member for Bentleigh. The service will be starting In June as route 627 & from the attached picture it is a fair bet that Ventura will be the operator!

http://www.nickstaikos.com.au/media-rel ... s-in-june/

I am not totally convinced about the potential usage of this service but time will tell.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

There is a very large redevelopment taking place on the south east corner of East Boundary and North Roads - including the old Casey's Coaches depot. It will include a new Murrumbeena Secondary College, the old one having been diagonally opposite and flogged off and demolished by Kennett in the 90s for horrible housing. A bus service which links it to two stations makes sense.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

system improver wrote:There is a very large redevelopment taking place on the south east corner of East Boundary and North Roads - including the old Casey's Coaches depot. It will include a new Murrumbeena Secondary College, the old one having been diagonally opposite and flogged off and demolished by Kennett in the 90s for horrible housing. A bus service which links it to two stations makes sense.
The development is currently only at the planning stage & may take many years to come to fruition but yes, It could a worthwhile source of patronage in the future.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Route 627 has been confirmed as starting on 16 June 2019 & operated by Ventura. The timetable is now online.

https://ptv-prod-timetables.s3.amazonaw ... etable.pdf

Frequencies are 30 minutes on weekdays & 40 at the weekend. There has been a change to the route at the Moorabbin end, buses will run from Tucker Road via Patterson Road & Jasper Road to South Road. Previously they were planned to run the full length of Tucker Road to South Road but there is no right turn at the end of Tucker.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

From Chadstone to Dalny Road, the 627 times largely complement the 822, but not near enough to provide a consistent 15 minute frequency. Some are 10 minutes, some are 20 and others an odd number. In 1948, Route 77A was required to run at least a 20 minute frequency from 7.15am to midnight between Murrumbeena Station at Dalny Road. There may have been extra peak services, but I don't have a timetable of the day.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for the info on 627 Mike.
2 buses at all times seems to be the allocated vehicle operation,presumably from the Moorabbin depot,or maybe shared with South Oakleigh.
The turnaround times on the Monday-Friday services are quite tight,averaging between 2-3 minutes.Not a great portent for reliable operation,unless the run times are worked well.
What do you think the 627's chances of success are ??
I hope I am wrong,but it does not offer much more than what is already there.Other than more frequency combined with 622 from Chaddy to Dalny Road.
Time will tell.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

It's good to see PTV is still updating its old (classic) website with info on the new route.

Route description, timetable and map here: https://classic.ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/13554/
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

PaxInfo wrote:It's good to see PTV is still updating its old (classic) website with info on the new route.

Route description, timetable and map here: https://classic.ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/13554/
I will continue to use the old site for as long as it is available. The new one has far too many shortcomings.

Hopefully the 627 will do well although I am not convinced about its potential.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Nick Staikos MP has posted about the 627 on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NickforBentlei ... cation=ufi
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

PaxInfo wrote:Nick Staikos MP has posted about the 627 on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NickforBentlei ... cation=ufi
Lets hope Mr.Staikos is right and it is well used.
I still have serious doubts on the viability of this one,but time will tell.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Has anybody observed or ridden this route to check pax numbers ??
scott

Post by scott »

Only observed it once, while passing through Chadstone, unable to see how many people unfortunately.

Don't even know which bay at Chadstone it uses.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

scott wrote:
Don't even know which bay at Chadstone it uses.
They chose well. Same as the 822.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

I had my first chance to try out the 627 today. My first trip was on the 12.13pm from Moorabbin which arrived slightly late, dropped off 3 passengers & left with just me on board. On the way we picked up 7 passengers on the previously unserved roads & another 4 on Murrumbeena Road who could have used the 822. Nearly everyone went to Chadstone which was reached about 5 minutes late. The bus departed back to Moorabbin empty & 8 minutes late.

My return trip to Moorabbin was on the 1.14pm from Chadstone which arrived with 4 passengers & left with just me on board 6 minutes late. On the way we only picked up & dropped off 2 other passengers, again on the previously unserved roads. We arrived at Moorabbin a couple of minutes late & the bus left for Chadstone on time with 5 passengers.

Some observations:

1. The 627 does provide some useful new links, particularly for those going to Chadstone.

2, The running time of 27/28 minutes is very tight & could probably use an extra 5 minutes. 3 or 4 extra minutes is allowed in the peaks but I doubt whether that is enough.

3. Chadstone Interchange is still one of bleakest places in Melbourne on a cold & wet winters day & 3 weeks after its introduction the main information board still doesn't include the 627 or which stand it leaves from.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Great report Mike.
Much appreciated.
I thought the run times on it were very tight from studying the timetable.This definitely needs to be addressed as the reliability factor is a large factor in building pax numbers.
Interesting to see the patronage by and large was from the previously unserved roads which is a real positive.
Also interesting to see that Chaddy is the main pax generator.
Would be interesting to see if peak hour patronage is generated to/from Moorabbin station.Reverse loadings are important on cross suburbans.
Those numbers are okay for a new service.Time wil tell whether the numbers build and it is successful.
Look forward to your next report.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Chadstone's bus interchange is still infinitely better than Eastland's, which consists of nothing more than a plain old bus stop sign with no shelter (742). Three other buses (271, 370 and 380 clockwise) used to stop behind the 742 in Ringwood Street but the bus stops were removed; the yellow "X" for buses is still on the road, as is the tactile path marking where the shared stop used to be. The Transdev routes moved half way down the hill in the legal precinct and have a shelter, yet Ventura still insists that the 742 should keep looping around Bond/New Sts with all the rat-running traffic while completely ignoring the existence of Ringwood station.

Chadstone's bus interchange also beats Westfield Knox by a mile; the 901 is in a ridiculous position for what should be the most patronised bus route by far. The only shopping centre I can think of with a decent bus interchange is Chirnside Park, except it's spoiled by extremely crappy bus routes which finish way too early (typical for suburban Melbourne though, but the quaint 1920s-style TeleBus services with their bank-like trading hours take the cake), including Lilydale Depot's "flagship" route 670.
scott

Post by scott »

Westfield Knox is my local and the bus bays are shocking, when it rains, you get wet waiting under the shelters. The pre 2001 setup was better.

Westfield Knox itself needs a complete revamp, it has got very run down.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Heihachi_73 wrote:Chadstone's bus interchange is still infinitely better than Eastland's, which consists of nothing more than a plain old bus stop sign with no shelter (742). Three other buses (271, 370 and 380 clockwise) used to stop behind the 742 in Ringwood Street but the bus stops were removed; the yellow "X" for buses is still on the road, as is the tactile path marking where the shared stop used to be. The Transdev routes moved half way down the hill in the legal precinct and have a shelter, yet Ventura still insists that the 742 should keep looping around Bond/New Sts with all the rat-running traffic while completely ignoring the existence of Ringwood station.

Chadstone's bus interchange also beats Westfield Knox by a mile; the 901 is in a ridiculous position for what should be the most patronised bus route by far. The only shopping centre I can think of with a decent bus interchange is Chirnside Park, except it's spoiled by extremely crappy bus routes which finish way too early (typical for suburban Melbourne though, but the quaint 1920s-style TeleBus services with their bank-like trading hours take the cake), including Lilydale Depot's "flagship" route 670.
From my travels I would nominate Southland as being as good as any in Melbourne with all but one of the stands being undercover & direct access into level 2 of the shops.

Generally though most shopping centres do not have good bus interchanges, the owners are far more interested in catering for the motorists that generate most of their business. Public Transport users are an afterthought.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Mike M wrote:
Heihachi_73 wrote:Chadstone's bus interchange is still infinitely better than Eastland's, which consists of nothing more than a plain old bus stop sign with no shelter (742). Three other buses (271, 370 and 380 clockwise) used to stop behind the 742 in Ringwood Street but the bus stops were removed; the yellow "X" for buses is still on the road, as is the tactile path marking where the shared stop used to be. The Transdev routes moved half way down the hill in the legal precinct and have a shelter, yet Ventura still insists that the 742 should keep looping around Bond/New Sts with all the rat-running traffic while completely ignoring the existence of Ringwood station.

From my travels I would nominate Southland as being as good as any in Melbourne with all but one of the stands being undercover & direct access into level 2 of the shops.

Generally though most shopping centres do not have good bus interchanges, the owners are far more interested in catering for the motorists that generate most of their business. Public Transport users are an afterthought.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Mike M wrote:

To say the least Mike.
Northland leaves much to be desired.Windswept and a long way from the entrance.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”