• Advertisement

Melbourne horse-drawn tourist carriages

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Melbourne horse-drawn tourist carriages

Postby Roderick Smith » Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Roderick.

City of Melbourne to stop issuing new permits for CBD horse carriages.
Herald Sun Thurs.25.5.17
LORD Mayor Robert Doyle has announced that Melbourne will stop issuing horse-drawn carriage permits.
“As of June 30, the City of Melbourne will no longer offer permits to horse-drawn vehicles,” he said.
“Look, we’ve tried that, I don’t think that it has worked, it’s hasn’t been effective so we’re going to exit the business of permitting those horse-drawn vehicles.”
The horse-drawn carriages are a familiar sight on Swanston St. Picture: Eugene Hyland Mr Doyle said increased traffic and metropolitan works has meant the carriages will be left to walk through parks and quiet areas of the CBD.
“I don’t think the central city is the place for them,” he said.
Existing permits will be allowed to continue and will not be classed as illegal.
Protesters rally against Melbourne CBD’s horse carriages last year. Picture: Jake Nowakowski.
“I can’t stop them from going on the streets, they are a vehicle and are defined in the road act and that’s a matter for VicRoads,” he said.
“(I think) this business of trying to permit them and then police that … has failed.”
The Lord Mayor said examples of horses bolting, dangerous routes and illegal trading have caused the cut to permits.
“I think they’re dangerous,” he said. “When a law cannot be enforced, then it is a useless law.”
•Bills paid so horses could drink.
•Horse carriage protest steps up.
•The great Melbourne transport race.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... ccbfe491b3

Then three from Fri.26.5.17 Melbourne Herald Sun.
Attachments
170526F-MelbourneHeraldSun-horsevehicles-c.jpg
170526F-MelbourneHeraldSun-horsevehicles-a-sss.jpg
170526F-MelbourneHeraldSun-horsevehicles-a-sss.jpg (188.64 KiB) Viewed 590 times
170526F-MelbourneHeraldSun-horsevehicles-b.jpg
170526F-MelbourneHeraldSun-horsevehicles-b.jpg (223.04 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Roderick Smith

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Melbourne / VIC