Transdev Melbourne News 2017

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Re: Transdev Melbourne News 2017

Post by Leyland B21 »

Lost count of how many transdev tweets ive seen today on a Saturday for cancelled services due to operational issues.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
OzAndew

Post by OzAndew »

Deja Vu. Transdev runs the 216/219/220, formerly Melbourne? Brighton Bus Line routes, taken over in the 1980s by either the MMTB or The Met. The mechanics declared the Brighton Bus Lines buses so bad and so unroadworthy, they were only fit for scrap. Former Kennett government contracts the routes out to private enterprise and they were then run by a private company. Transdev takes over the contract and nearly thirty years later, the same thing has happened. On the face of it, a private company, Transdev, has run buses into the ground without proper maintenance. This is an utter disgrace. Not only should the company be sacked, heads should roll at PTV over such a lack of oversight and at VicRoads. We have to be able to trust that vehicles we travel in are safe. Like many high rise buildings that have been proved to unsafe fire hazards, so too it seems is some of our transport system.
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

It appears CDC has been called in to assist with the 'situation', spotted CDC-Ballarat bus 175 (Volgren CR228L, Scania K230UB) awaiting departure on a 302 to Box Hill around 1700Hr on Lonsdale St outside QV.
Also noticed from Ventura was a Northcoast bodied Scania L113CRL in addition to the many Volgrens.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Yesterday around 2.30pm whilst passing through The Pines on a 901:
Ventura 30 in former Grendas livery on a route 295. I initially thought it was the Transdev one until I saw the Ventura stickers.
Behind it was Ventura 1164 - didn't see the route no as it was right behind 30.
3 Crown Coasters - 2 at the stop, the front on on a route 282, with a third parked at the back of the car park.
A cream coloured low floor bus with a brown skirt passing through. No idea whose this one is. Didn't see the route, although to be fair the A4 papers with a large route number in the windscreen of hired in buses are generally readable.

The only Transdev vehicles there were the 3 Smartbuses on routes 905, 906 and my 901. It would seem more newsworthy to report which services are run by Transdev vehicles...
scott

Post by scott »

That cream coloured bus with the brown skirt, was most likely Transdev 800, the Ex Darwin 0405NH CR221L with CR228L front.

I was at the Pines about 3:30pm yesterday, my ride being Ventura 800. Lovely bus to ride at even almost 21 years of age.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Thanks Scott, good to know for future reference.
Today's sightings include Ventura 36 on route 293 around 5.30pm heading north along Para Rd, and a possible sighting of Dysons 712 around the time of a Box Hill bound route 293 around 4.20pm with a route number in the rear box but I couldn't quite see it as it raced past heading south along Para Rd opposite Montmorency Park.
scott

Post by scott »

Further sightings since my last post, seen at Box Hill was a Crown 0500RF, did not get route as only saw the back of it, also was a Mee's Higer A30 Scania on 271 to Ringwood, and a couple of Dyson's Scanias.

Been covering the goings on when time allows. Been fascinating seeing a lot of stuff you never normally see.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

CDC Melbourne #84 (Volvo B10M MkIV/Volgren) was on route 903 today, saw it on the 3:39pm trip from Mentone to Heidelberg.

On route 281 today, the last 3 trips of the day from Templestowe Shops were operated by other operators. The 5:13pm was a Ventura Scania L113CRL/Northcoast, 5:43pm was Ventura #813 (Scania L113CRL/Volgren), and the final trip at 6:13pm was Mees #8 (Scania K320IB/Higer) :shock:
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

Noticed quite the variety of other operators today.
- Crown Coaches Northcoast bodied MB O500RF's on both route 279(Box Hill bound) and 302 (Box Hill) this morning, and BCI bodied MB O500RF's on some afternoon services.
- Mee's Scania/Higer A30 on a route 207 on an PM peak service leaving the city.
- CDC Ballarat bus 175 on a route 302(Box Hill) this PM peak(did not appear to have a Transdev driver/guide), also a Volvo B10/Volgren high floor(Westrans red livery) on Thompsons road.
- A Sita Volvo B10L/Orana heading inbound along Victoria Parade
- A variety of Dysons buses on 200/246/305 services, had bus 959(Scania K310UB/Volgren Optimus) on route 305(The Pines) and trying those seats for the first time is a unexpected realisation of a super hard seat base.

Never seen the back of Doncaster depot during the morning peak with a full row of buses lined up along the back parked up whilst travelling past along Wetherby Rd, by the looks of it this situation will probably last till the end of the year.
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

Tullamarine Bus Lines joined the party today assisting Transdev.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

scott wrote:That cream coloured bus with the brown skirt, was most likely Transdev 800, the Ex Darwin 0405NH CR221L with CR228L front.
That's all they need to do to improve the existing Melbourne fleet (aside from a complete interior makeover, being Transdev), instead of scrapping everything as fast as a new bus hits the road. The CR222Ls would also look a million times better with a CR228L front, assuming the CR22x range all had similar/compatible fronts like HQ-WB Holdens (not sure about Optimus fronts). Maybe Ventura should try it...
scott

Post by scott »

I would focus on keeping them safe and mechanically sound, then do Joan Rivers type facelifts, but that is another issue.

There was a rumour on the 3AW rumour file this morning, that the problems are far worse than first thought.

I keep having a weird thought of seeing a horse and cart pull into the Box Hill terminus........
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

That's all they need to do to improve the existing Melbourne fleet (aside from a complete interior makeover, being Transdev), instead of scrapping everything as fast as a new bus hits the road. The CR222Ls would also look a million times better with a CR228L front, assuming the CR22x range all had similar/compatible fronts like HQ-WB Holdens (not sure about Optimus fronts). Maybe Ventura should try it...
I would expect if you asked the average bus-using punter if their bus had a Volgren Optimus or a CRxxx style, they would look at you sideways as if to question your sanity in even asking the question. In fact, your question could equally be to ask if Volgren bodied their bus or Custom Coaches - you'd get the same response.

On the other hand, I suspect they are far more likely to recall if their bus was clean, the driver friendly (or at least not aggressive or grumpy), the bus was reasonably on time (or at least that they didn't have to wait long for one - that's the basis I use the 901/2 on these days in the pm peak by using the realtime app given the timetable is complete fiction much of the time and it works quite well), and if the engine sounded like a lawn mower causing them to wonder anxiously if it would make it to the station / shops - then I suspect you would get a far more knowledgable answer as it is these things that people care about, not the "look" of the bus.

All Transdev need to do to improve the existing Melbourne bus fleet is do what every other route bus operator seems to successfully do: keep the buses roadworthy and safe, and try and keep them as clean as possible. Lest anyone pull out the rose coloured glasses, most operators have graffiti in the last few rows on the backs of seats and the side walls below the seat line. When Ventura / Grenda operated the Smartbuses it was the same. However, there are numerous photos online of the whole rear of Transdev buses tagged and looking incredibly shabby. If you can't be bothered looking online, go and catch a Smartbus - most of them are in similar condition. However, this problem (both graffiti and maintenance) are wholly of Trandev's making. I'm prepared to cut them some slack in not fining them for some late running buses and anything else not directly in their ability to change (not having enough drivers to cover driver changeovers when services are running late notwithstanding). However, bus presentation is a solvable problem wholly within the operator's control, as is proper maintenance.

The contract makes some interesting statements about being required to maintain buses to a standard and keep an agreed minimum stock of spare parts. I wonder if the PTV are doing anything to check this aspect of the contract under the current revelations?

To get back to the original remark, if you really want to spend money refurbishing the fleet in a way that benefits customers, then Transdev are currently required to internally refurbish their fleet. I wonder if that contract stipulation is being kept and the refurbishments are running on time? At least that way there's at least one bus will be clean for a week or so...
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

When Ventura went over their buses, they gave them a slap of grey paint on the seat backs to hide the mess, apparently that was easier than actually cleaning them. :)
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

New sightings:
Yesterday Transdev 709 was operating a route 902 to Airport West through Greensborough around 1.10pm. Unusual to see a non Volvo / Optimus / Gemilang nowadays.
Today:
Seen heading down Middleborough Rd just after 3.30pm were Ventura 35 in ex-Grenda livery on a 279 to Box Hill, then near Doncaster Rd was a CDC Geelong bus with a white A4 paper in the window, followed not long after by a McHarrys bus turning from Doncaster Rd left into Middleborough Rd also with an A4 page in the window.
Around 3.45pm in Fitzsimons Lane just south of the roundabout, Transdev 923 was operating a route 902 to Chelsea. Another PTV liveried bus was seen around 5.30pm on a 902 to Airport West in Para Rd Greensborough that wasn't a Gemilang or Volgren. For a minute I thought it was 923 on the return journey but it would have been too soon.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

923 was out and about on the route 902 again today. Surely Transdev would have enough of the right sort of buses to cover the relatively few services they have to run today?
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

krustyklo wrote:923 was out and about on the route 902 again today. Surely Transdev would have enough of the right sort of buses to cover the relatively few services they have to run today?
I've seen reports elsewhere that a high floor Kastoria Merc O405/Volgren was running on the 220 today, so seemingly not.
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

One of Transdev's Optare Solo's (yes that puny bus) made it out to the city during Thursday's morning peak.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

The Solos seem to be spreading their wings a bit with the current debacle. Today's 4.55pm from Greensborough (and the previous trip from Box Hill which forms this trip) was operated by 380129:
solo.jpg
solo.jpg (124.86 KiB) Viewed 7479 times
Someone might want to update the destination file, the rear box displayed "Not in Service" whilst the correct Box Hill 293 destination was displayed on the front.

3 minutes earlier, 994 passed the same location on a route 901 to Frankston.
994.jpg
994.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 7479 times
nonscenic
Favourite Vehicle: A Transdev bus that works

Post by nonscenic »

I saw at least 4 Dysons buses running on Transdev routes today. This morning it was obvious that there had been missed services by the long queues in the P and R at 8.10 on a Monday morning in the school holidays and Dysons 913 was on an inbound 908 this morning (with Transdev guide). This evening Ventura bus 1158 ran an evening peak 908 (san Transdev guide) and I saw 2 other ventura (80? was one) buses in the city. Also the Ballarat CDC 175 was in the city running an outbound service.
After 33 years of commuting by bus, I now have a Seniors Myki and two more hours a day not stuck in Victoria parade on a Transdev bus.
HaticePTV
Favourite Vehicle: CR228L Scania K230UB

Post by HaticePTV »

nonscenic wrote:I saw at least 4 Dysons buses running on Transdev routes today. This morning it was obvious that there had been missed services by the long queues in the P and R at 8.10 on a Monday morning in the school holidays and Dysons 913 was on an inbound 908 this morning (with Transdev guide). This evening Ventura bus 1158 ran an evening peak 908 (san Transdev guide) and I saw 2 other ventura (80? was one) buses in the city. Also the Ballarat CDC 175 was in the city running an outbound service.
I noted Dysons buses operating on 200, 207, 305, 908, 905, 906, 246 today and there was more than 4 maybe close to 10 of them with Volgren Optimus' at least 4 of them and the rest CR228L's Volvos and Scanias at least also in the city I noted 2 SITA and 2 Kastoria CR228Ls along with 2 Ventura CR221Ls in the blue with old font titles along with a Ventura volgren Volvo B10M un basic US Bus livery.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Boring compared to all the other operator sightings, but Optare Solo 380132 operated the 8.07am route 293 from Greensborough (and the trip from Box Hill forming this service), and 940 was today's non-Smartbus visitor to the 902 heading to Airport West along Grimshaw St around 8.30am this morning.
scott

Post by scott »

Saw turning into Box Hill Central was one of the former Melbourne Tourist shuttle low floor Dennings, with a small Transdev sticker on the windscreen.
philm
Favourite Vehicle: A-class tram

Post by philm »

scott wrote:Saw turning into Box Hill Central was one of the former Melbourne Tourist shuttle low floor Dennings, with a small Transdev sticker on the windscreen.
Spotted the same bus on Lygon Street running the 207 at about 5:30pm today.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Ventura 29 operated the 11.37am route 293 from Box Hill to Greensborough. A thought I had regarding the fact it didn't have any validators (and quite likely the data collected by validators in non-Transdev buses operating Transdev services) - Schedule 2 section 9 and also Schedule 7 of the Transdev contract calculates the PIR bonus based on patronage, including the possibility of a negative balance (ie, Transdev pay PTV if patronage drops below a threshold). Critically this is defined in Schedule 7 section 1.3 as the number of successful touch ons.
This could get quite expensive if the PTV want to play hardball and claim what they are owed based on successful touch ons during this period...

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”