• Advertisement

AEC 531 A Regal Mark III bus

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Re: AEC 531 A Regal Mark III bus

Postby Boff » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

AEC 531 wrote:Hi Tony,

I do not remember the AEC's in service at all, although by their destination scrolls they seemed to have operated in and around places that I would have visited when I was working, but I just have no memory of them. A couple of the other members that are working on the bus remember them.

The bus that operates in the Puffing Billy Thomas Days is a bobtail AEC Regal Mark III No. 592, it is the same as 560 only a bobtail, 560 still has its two doors and will seat 41 people.

It is interesting when the younger generation view the rail motor when we have it out, to see the funny looks we get. We had it open to the public at Ouyen one time, and a grandmother and her granddaughter came on board, the grandmother tells the granddaughter that these were the trains that took them to the city. They would stand on the platform and first hear the distant whistle then over the horizon came the headlight and finally like a familiar old friend it pulled up in the platform to take them on. We here these experiences often and we hope this will happen with the bus once it is going again.

Once the bus is finished the guys working on it will move on to become the drivers and operators of it under DERMPAV's management system.

Regards
Colin Kelly
Secretary
DERMPAV

The AEC's I drove where well on their last legs and the One I drove was painted up as a huge Fosters can for Sinclairs Bus lines 630 Route, Not sure where it ended up but the Depot Manager was keen on it. (Old pics below)

What a great reward for those who put blood, sweat and knuckle skin into the restoration, Also ensures she will be very well treated when in service!

And I can understand the reactions to the Rail Motors, Just seeing them in Video on your Youtube page makes me wistful lol

Boff

Favourite Vehicle: MCI MC7 and early Denning's

Re: AEC 531 A Regal Mark III bus

Postby Boff » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 pm

AEC bus left rear of Pic BTW

And Below some of the mix from when small Bus companies existed

Boff

Favourite Vehicle: MCI MC7 and early Denning's

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Melbourne / VIC