• Advertisement

Transdev Melbourne News 2017

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Re: Transdev Melbourne News 2017

Postby BroadGauge » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Noticed #103 (Scania K280UB/Gemilang) running on route 220 to Gardenvale through Footscray at 1:30pm this afternoon. Didn't think that was usual unless Sunshine West depot has some of them now.
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: Cash Express Train

Postby Comeng64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:02 am

Spotted Artic #2000 (Scania K310UA/Custom Coaches CB60 Evo II) at The Pines around 7:45am heading inbound, displaying 'Special' on the desto with an A3 paper stuck to the windscreen: "906X - Limited Stop" Below that it said which stops it skipped and something about the Eastern Freeway but didn't quite catch it.
Comeng64

Transdev graffiti-cleaning cost.

Postby Roderick Smith » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 am

Graffiti attacks on buses costing Transdev $1 million a year to clean up.
Manningham Leader March 19, 2017.
A DONCASTER commuter says constant graffiti attacks on Manningham buses are making them look the worst he has seen in 35 years of travel.
David Robertson’s complaint comes as bus operator Transdev, which services Manningham and other parts of Melbourne, revealed it spent more than $1 million a year removing graffiti from its fleet.
A Transdev bus covered in graffiti. Picture: Kylie Else.
And with nearly half its buses housed at the Doncaster depot, its managing director Harry Wijers said its mobile graffiti response team was revising its strategy to deal with the problem.
Mr Robertson, a Public Transport Users Association member, said he had seen graffiti and grime on nearly every bus he had travelled on in the past 12 months during his daily weekday commute to the city.
“I’ve been using the system in Manningham heading to the city for a long time and I’ve never seen it like it is,” he said.
“Every bus has some sort of graffiti on it or you can see the remnants of trying to clean it off.”
Drivers who see vandals in action are powerless to act. Picture: Kylie Else Mr Wijers said graffiti was “a huge issue” for the company, with about 80 per cent of its fleet vandalised at any given time.
Transdev has 505 buses in its fleet, with 210 stationed at its Doncaster depot.
“Basically, as soon as it’s cleaned off, it reappears,” he said.
“Even if a driver sees someone vandalising their bus, there is very little they can do about it.”
Constant attacks on the buses mean they have to be deep cleaned once a month. Picture: Kylie Else.
Mr Wijers said staff cleaned graffiti off buses daily.
He said all buses had to be deep cleaned once a month and some required a repaint or a respray, costing $5000 each time.
Mr Wijers said the company had CCTV on its buses to try and identify offenders and was also trialling different paint surfaces and interiors to deter taggers.
Transdev spokeswoman Kate Rasmussen said drivers were not supposed to leave their seats to engage with vandals but reported graffiti at the end of their shifts. They could also alert TransDev’s operations team to any incidents via internal radio, who then referred the matter to police..
A Victoria Police Media spokesman said Manningham Crime Investigation Unit and Transit Police did not have any recent reports of graffiti on buses.
Graffiti vandals spray last Hitachi train.
www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/graffi ... 6e7b0b9409, with four photos, mainly tags on walls and seat backs, plus scratched windows.
Roderick Smith

Postby Heihachi_73 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:04 am

Who else can be blamed? I never saw buses in such poor condition when Ventura and National were running the same services, even the older high floor buses such as the Leyland Tigers, MAN SL200s (including MK1s back then) and Volvo/Scania/Mercedes Volgrens were kept much cleaner. Ventura's buses are still kept relatively clean even today despite having mostly the same models of bus as Transdev. Custom CB60, check. Designline "bubble", check. Designline "square", check. Volgren CR228L, check. SmartBus-liveried vehicles, check.
Heihachi_73

Re: Transdev graffiti-cleaning cost.

Postby burrumbus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Roderick Smith wrote:Graffiti attacks on buses costing Transdev $1 million a year to clean up.
Manningham Leader March 19, 2017.
A DONCASTER commuter says constant graffiti attacks on Manningham buses are making them look the worst he has seen in 35 years of travel.
David Robertson’s complaint comes as bus operator Transdev, which services Manningham and other parts of Melbourne, revealed it spent more than $1 million a year removing graffiti from its fleet.
A Transdev bus covered in graffiti. Picture: Kylie Else.
And with nearly half its buses housed at the Doncaster depot, its managing director Harry Wijers said its mobile graffiti response team was revising its strategy to deal with the problem.
Mr Robertson, a Public Transport Users Association member, said he had seen graffiti and grime on nearly every bus he had travelled on in the past 12 months during his daily weekday commute to the city.
“I’ve been using the system in Manningham heading to the city for a long time and I’ve never seen it like it is,” he said.
“Every bus has some sort of graffiti on it or you can see the remnants of trying to clean it off.”
Drivers who see vandals in action are powerless to act. Picture: Kylie Else Mr Wijers said graffiti was “a huge issue” for the company, with about 80 per cent of its fleet vandalised at any given time.
Transdev has 505 buses in its fleet, with 210 stationed at its Doncaster depot.
“Basically, as soon as it’s cleaned off, it reappears,” he said.
“Even if a driver sees someone vandalising their bus, there is very little they can do about it.”
Constant attacks on the buses mean they have to be deep cleaned once a month. Picture: Kylie Else.
Mr Wijers said staff cleaned graffiti off buses daily.
Again Transdev spin.
He said all buses had to be deep cleaned once a month and some required a repaint or a respray, costing $5000 each time.
Mr Wijers said the company had CCTV on its buses to try and identify offenders and was also trialling different paint surfaces and interiors to deter taggers.
Transdev spokeswoman Kate Rasmussen said drivers were not supposed to leave their seats to engage with vandals but reported graffiti at the end of their shifts. They could also alert TransDev’s operations team to any incidents via internal radio, who then referred the matter to police..
A Victoria Police Media spokesman said Manningham Crime Investigation Unit and Transit Police did not have any recent reports of graffiti on buses.
Graffiti vandals spray last Hitachi train.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east ... 6e7b0b9409, with four photos, mainly tags on walls and seat backs, plus scratched windows.
burrumbus

Postby E.L.Wood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Word is as of today Transdev are now performing planned replacement services for Metro on the Cragieburn line following Kastoria's withdrawl from their Metro Trains contract, Kastoria will continue to provide emergency replacement vehicles.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
E.L.Wood

Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Postby Get The Met » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi
I assume MAN Mk II 298 has now been removed from revenue service? Maybe Tulla Flyer can shed some light on its where abouts.
Cheers
Get The Met

Postby Heihachi_73 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

I saw an ex-Grenda Volgren high floor on the 271 a couple of days ago. Stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the orange buses.
Heihachi_73

Postby scott » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 am

I wonder when those B10M and L113CRB high floors will be replaced?, if ever.

Nice in their day, but now looking very dog earred, even more since Transdev got them.
scott

Re: New depot at Thomastown

Postby Roderick Smith » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:56 am

Thurs.30.3 Metro Twitter
Up to 50 buses have a fresh new home in the new Transdev bus depot in Thomastown.
170331F PTV - Thomastown Transdev depot.

Roderick.
Attachments
170331F-PTV-ThomastownTransdevDepot-a-ss.jpg
170331F-PTV-ThomastownTransdevDepot-a-ss.jpg (193.45 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
170331F-PTV-ThomastownTransdevDepot-b-s.jpg
170331F-PTV-ThomastownTransdevDepot-b-s.jpg (181.49 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
170331F-PTV-ThomastownTransdevDepot-c-ss.jpg
170331F-PTV-ThomastownTransdevDepot-c-ss.jpg (210.79 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Roderick Smith

Postby msheldrick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 am

Spotted Transdev Artic 118 running a "906X" service coming into Warrandyte Bridge on Friday.

Sign in the window said
"906X
Not Stopping at Eastern Fwy
and Middleborough Road"

IMG_1994 copy.jpg
msheldrick

Favourite Vehicle: Panorama Bus 5 (CB60 EvoII)

Postby The Tulla Flyer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 am

Get The Met wrote:Hi
I assume MAN Mk II 298 has now been removed from revenue service? Maybe Tulla Flyer can shed some light on its where abouts.
Cheers

As far as I know the annual inspection was due. It was off the road briefly getting the a/c fans fixed. It had the doors adjusted. It also had some other minor work done. I took it out of an evening and it was running like a dream. The same night it was changed over in service for no apparent reason. That was over a month ago and it has been sitting in the workshop ever since. It appears to be getting work done to it. As for what? I have no idea. I only hope it will return to service but that's not looking very promising.
If it doesn't return I will have one positive. I will have been the last person to drive a MK2 in revenue service. I only wish I could have made it a more memorable occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Tulla Flyer

Favourite Vehicle: MAN Mk1 Melb Ansair

Postby josh01 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:51 am

Meanwhile transdev 71 is at volvo springvale anyone know whats wrong with it
josh01

Favourite Vehicle: Moorabbin Transit 553

Postby Alstom 888M » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Transdev are buying a new Gemilang as a replacement for #384, which burnt out on the West Gate Freeway last year. Also 5 new Optares are also on their way, probably to get rid of the Plasmas.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Alstom 888M

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405NH

Postby krustyklo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Transdev and the TWU seem to be having a dispute, allegedly over Transdev trying to change shift conditions for drivers on the orbital routes outside of the usual EBA process. Maybe someone can explain the terminology?
From https://twu.asn.au/transdev-attacks-workers-entitlements/
TRANSDEV ATTACKS WORKERS’ ENTITLEMENTS
Key penalties, conditions and entitlements of Transdev employees are under attack.

Transdev is using a great deal of spin to claim that by introducing more casual and part-time workers, in preference to full-time employees, it will improve labour flexibility!

Transdev is also trying to con staff into believing that dispensing with Sunday Shift Workers Leave, introducing RDO’s into rosters and changing roster patterns will foster greater job satisfaction, security and a better lifestyle!

They also claim the changes will allow drivers to better manage fatigue, so they can spend more time with their (much poorer) families.

What?

This is coming from the same mob that is rostering staff to drive for up to 5 hours at a time. And, because most services are currently running late due to tight scheduling times and traffic congestion, drivers are getting back late for their meal breaks. As a result, we have received reports from the ridges that Transdev management have allegedly asked drivers to cut meal breaks short.

They are also attempting to force members to work 40 hours a week.

And, really, how can any worker put their trust and the family’s future in the hands of a company that cannot even put roster changes out on time?

Transdev unveiled its direct attack on worker entitlements at the same time the new Thomastown depot was opened. THE TWU DISPUTED THE PROPOSED CHANGES IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE OF THE VERY SERIOUS AND DANGEROUS PRECEDENT THEY WOULD SET.

At a meeting held on March 21 between the TWU and Transdev’s ‘Department of People and Culture Management’, the TWU rejected Transdev’s final offer to settle the dispute at Thomastown- this is because Transdev’s terms were unacceptable.

Transdev then informed the TWU it has every intention of rolling out their proposed 5 over 6 roster pattern throughout the Orbital operations at all Transdev depots. Orbital services do the loop around Greater Melbourne and operate out of North Fitzroy, Sunshine West, Keysborough and Thomastown and composite about 60-per-cent of Transdev’s services.

Transdev offered to faze in the 5 over 6 rosters at Thomastown over a two-month period, thus allowing drivers time to adjust the changes to their lifestyles (whether you want to or not).

Transdev further informed the TWU that this was the last opportunity to agree to its terms, or it will request the Fair Work Commission (FWC) to arbitrate on the matter. There has already been two conciliation hearings at the FWC without any satisfactory solution.

The TWU unequivocally rejects these proposed changes to our member’s conditions which are intolerable, and any changes Transdev wish to make to our member’s conditions should be done at the next EBA.

The TWU have also called on its members to raise these issues with non-members, because it is up to all Transdev employees to stand up and accept responsibility for their own futures and stop relying on the TWU and its members to fight for their rights.

We are stronger together, but there is also safety in numbers and the more workers that raise concerns about Transdev’s proposed changes, the more likely management will come to realise they are unwelcome. JOIN TODAY on this website, or call 1300 727 614.
krustyklo

Postby scott » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:17 pm

What is meant by the 5 over 6 roster system?
scott

Postby Alstom 888M » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm

A 5 over 6 roster means drivers work 5 days out of 6 (Monday to Saturday) with Sundays to be worked as optional overtime, or potentially by casuals who are paid a slightly higher fixed rate (no weekend penalties).

Under the National Employment Standards, a shift worker is defined as a worker who is obliged to work Sundays. A shift worker is entitled to a 5th week of annual leave per year. Because Sundays are not compulsory, even though Saturdays are; drivers working a 5 over 6 roster miss out on the extra week of annual leave.

Sunshine West & Heatherton track (not orbital) drivers currently work like this, just as they did at Footscray & Sandringham, as well as under the previous operator: Melbourne Bus Link. Orbital drivers at all depots currently work 5 over 7 rosters; their roster includes compulsory Sundays, so they are given 5 weeks of annual leave instead of the usual 4.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Alstom 888M

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405NH

Postby scott » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm

From http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/one-i ... vrc0v.html

One in five Transdev buses run late as passenger numbers plunge
Adam Carey

If you think Melbourne's trams and trains are unreliable, spare a thought for bus passengers.

About one in five Transdev buses ran more than five minutes late last year. The bus operator is responsible for a third of Melbourne's bus network. Transdev has never met its contractual monthly punctuality target and has overseen an annual decline in ridership of tens of thousands of passengers on key routes.

Its overall on-time performance of 80.7 per cent is lower than Metro Trains, Yarra Trams or V/Line.

Transdev's results have not been released publicly. The Age had to use freedom-of-information laws to obtain them.

The data showed that last year, just 14 of Transdev's 46 routes hit the 85 per cent punctuality target signed up to by the company.

Routes that missed the mark included the three outer-suburban orbital smart buses – which were used by a combined 12.7 million passengers in 2016 – and most of the Doncaster area buses that serve Manningham in Melbourne's north-east, which has no trains or trams.

The worst performer of all was bus route 220, a busy cross-city route between Sunshine and Gardenvale, which ran just 67 per cent of buses on-time.
Transdev is at the halfway mark of a seven-year contract that Public Transport Victoria said would usher in a "generational transformation" of Melbourne's under-utilised buses, with better and more reliable services and increased passenger satisfaction.

Instead, it has mostly failed to meet the performance benchmarks in its contract, while its key proposal for improving performance – a new bus network with redrawn routes and timetables – has been blocked by the Andrews government.

Transdev was supposed to increase passenger numbers 5 per cent a year, but they have fallen significantly on many of its routes. For example, Melbourne's most used bus route, the 903 between Altona and Mordialloc, carried 5.18 million people in 2016, down from 6.03 million in 2014-15.

Melbourne's buses are the only public transport mode that has experienced a recent fall in passenger numbers.

One Melburnian who catches Transdev buses to and from work is architect Elise Houghton, who commutes each day via route 905 between the city and Templestowe.

Ms Houghton became so frustrated by late or cancelled buses that she complained to the Public Transport Ombudsman in November.

"I'd just returned to work as a new mum in my dream job and I was pretty keen to impress my employers," she said. "Working part-time hours, there was only so many times I could use the excuse that my bus didn't turn up, and it got to the point where it was embarrassing for me."

The government and Transdev negotiated a series of minor timetable adjustments in June, which triggered the 85 per cent performance target.

In 2013, the company won a competitive tender to operate many Melbourne routes in 2013, and signed a contract that included fines and bonuses based on punctuality, reliability and patronage targets, a unique arrangement among Melbourne bus companies.

Transdev admitted through the Ombudsman that it had struggled to run a reliable service late last year because it had a shortage of buses and bus drivers.

Ms Houghton said reliability had improved slightly since then, though she was still heavily delayed about once a week on average.

Public Transport Users Association president Tony Morton said Melbourne's buses struggled to run on time because they were not given priority on the roads, and struggled to attract passengers because they were infrequent and indirect.

"If we designed bus routes to grow patronage ... to make it work for everyone getting from A to B, just as trams work in the inner-city, more people would use them," he said.

Transdev said traffic congestion was the main cause of its buses running late.

"We continue to look at ways to improve our operations that will lead to more punctual and reliable services, and we were able to make some small timetable changes last year that took current traffic conditions into account," spokeswoman Kate Rasmussen said.
scott

Leaking route 279 bus

Postby Roderick Smith » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Melbourne Express, Wed.26.4.17.
9.36 Buses are also leaking this morning in the deluge. Route 279.
9.15 more route 279 fun - both emergency exists are leaking. Lots of wet seats.
https://twitter.com/robwise/status/8570 ... vs27g.html Rob Wise.
Roderick Smith

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Melbourne / VIC