Tasmanian Bus Observations - JUL > DEC 2017

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Tasmanian Bus Observations - JUL > DEC 2017

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well, it's been pretty quiet here on this front for quite a while. Whilst there has been quite a bit happening (particularly with the Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society) it hasn't been getting reported (at least, not on this forum) Since June, the Society has commenced it's restoration of ex Maxwell's AEC Reliance and this is progressing very well, with it about to be moved to Havnadip Bus Repairs to have the frame completely replaced. This is a massive job and the Society must thanks the Tasmanian Community Fund for providing a community grant which has allowed us to progress to this stage.

Metro is continuing receiving their new CB80 K360UA articulated buses ((5) up to 12 Aug) with 740 arriving yesterday. There are (7) in total being delivered, however I cannot understand why Custom are sending them in Adelaide Met livery :roll: :roll: (yellow on rear bumpers) The Euro 6 is a vast improvement on the previous vehicles. It has been reported the first of the new Bustech 12.5m buses will arrive in NOV 2017 for evaluation before full production starts in TAS, with the first TAS unit expected early 2018. The retirement of the aging B10ML fleet has well and truly commenced, with 721 gone, 719 & 720 at auction presently and 716 & 718 the only B10Ms left in service, however, their days are very numbered, and suspect 718 will be retired within two weeks :?:

Other new vehicles arriving on our shores are limited although Merseylink Coaches (Devonport) did purchase a couple second-hand MANs from Willunga Charters a month or so ago. Tasmania's own Redline also grabbed (10x) Higers ex Mining Co in QLD a few months back too. Only (1) of these has thus far been put in service and full livery (#137) likewise Crawn Motors (Ridgley) also purchased (2) second-hand Higers. Wells Waggons on the far NW Coast received a second-hand Scania from VIC.

That wraps up a brief outline on happenings and sightings since the last report, so hopefully updates will be more forthcoming as events unfold here in TAS :shock:
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations - JUL > DEC 2017

Post by The Phonj »

I know it's not a bus observation, but Jetstar will be commencing direct flights Adelaide to Hobart and v.v. from 14 November 2017; flying three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). Certainly would make it easier for me to attend the annual Tas tour, should I be in a position to do so.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The Phonj wrote:I know it's not a bus observation, but Jetstar will be commencing direct flights Adelaide to Hobart and v.v. from 14 November 2017; flying three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). Certainly would make it easier for me to attend the annual Tas tour, should I be in a position to do so.
Certainly will John :mrgreen: Very surprised they've started this service again though, after it failed many years ago :( Back then, I was able to travel direct to Adelaide for $29
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Further to comments above, Metro Tasmania has received the last of their 7 K360 articulated Scanias. This completes the order but unfortunately will now see the last of the reliable B10M Volvos retired. As of 25.8.17, still (2) B10Ms were in service (716,718).
Busnut704
Favourite Vehicle: B10M VOLVO ARTIC

Post by Busnut704 »

R.I.P B10Ms Artics. I remember travelling to school on them.
Busnut704
VOLVO B10M ARE THE BEST!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

As mentioned above re:B10Ms, the LAST B10M to operate in service was #718, 1986 model which operated a Rte.502 trunk route service at 1715 12th Sept.2017, marking 30yrs and 9mths service, eclipsing the Society's own #706 which operated for just on 30yrs and 6mths. Prior to #718s trip, #716 operated the same route @ 1655 (albiet 6min late) and thus finally ENDING a 42 year association with Volvo and the MTT/Metro.
This would make #716, the OLDEST BUS still in Government service (@ 12.9.17) 30ys 10mths - Testament to the longevity of the Volvo.

The first Volvo to enter service with the then MTT, was #21, 1975 B58/Smithfield, one of 33 built. In 1978, the CAC Mk.I body was introduced, still on the B58 chassis and then the CAC Mk.II body (sitting further back on the chassis). These were delivered in 1979/1980, with BUS #346 (allocated to Launceston) being the LAST bus built by Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in VIC. That bus, is still in service with a Tasmanian school bus operator (Coal River Coaches, although is FOR SALE :( )
In 1980, MTT called for tenders for a high capacity articulated bus, to service the northern suburbs after taking over from Ace Bus Service. They trialed the MAN SG192 for 3mths, before settling again on the B58, with the Volgren aluminium Hess body. Delivered in July 1980, these were the first articulated buses to enter FULL service with the MTT, with #747 (the first artic) now in preservation with a member of the Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society.

1984 saw more articulated buses bought, through federal funding with 10 PMC bodies B10MLs, being the updated B58 chassis. These buses were numbered #704 - #713 and had the two-door Mk.I Pressed Metal Corporation (PMC Adelaide) body, differing from the next batch to arrive. They were painted in the now distinctive rolled gold/white with red band, adopted with the first artics in 1980.

In 1986 through Bi-Centennial federal funding, an additional 9 B10ML artics were purchased, however these featured the later Mk.II PMC bodies with three doors and passenger operated rear/middle doors, a feature to appear on the next 200+ rigid buses Metro purchased. BY this stage Metro (as it was rebranded) had adopted a new corporate livery :shock: that of two-tone apple green stripes, a very attractive livery, but unfortunately short lived :( These last Volvos were numbered #714* - #722. (#714 differed form the later units, as it had a Mk.I chassis (like 704-713) but the updated Mk.II body). This made a total of 22 artics for Metro in their heyday although the earlier B58/Volgrens were shortly sold to school bus operators for further use. It was also in 1987 (for reasons unknown by the author) Metro also purchased 4x B10M/PMC rigid buses, which by all accounts were the BEST bus they'd ever bought. Unfortunately, they were sold prematurely to Busabout NSW and saw many years service on the mainland with a variety of operators.

So that gives you a brief history of the Volvo story with the Metropolitan Transport Trust / Metro TAS, something now stored in our memory archives. They were an exceptional bus to drive, were high capacity (unlike some artics of today) and once the two steps to enter the vehicle were done, were completely flat floor to the rear :shock: a far cry for the "low-floor" buses we see today (particularly the Scanias :( )
Busnut704
Favourite Vehicle: B10M VOLVO ARTIC

Post by Busnut704 »

Thanks TBN. Interesting history. Thanks for sharing your memories.
Busnut704
VOLVO B10M ARE THE BEST!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The ex Mining Co. Higer RoadBosses are certainly making their way to the land under down under (TAS :mrgreen: ) At last count,(7) operators have purchased these vehicles, and although it's disappointing seeing all these Chinese built buses flooding the market, I had the opportunity to drive one yesterday and they are quite impressive. Internal fittings are better than the BCIs which are (and look) all plastic, whereas the Higer (although undoubtedly) plastic also, has the look of upholstery (similar to buses of yesteryear) with "ribbed" upholstery looking panels on the interior. The 300hp Cummins was more than sufficient (even with a full supplement of 57) and the styling isn't all that unattractive :roll:
But, back to the list of (7) operators now experiencing these large capacity school/charter buses. (especially popular because they are seat-belted too, I might add)
O'Driscoll Coaches (New Norfolk) x 2 - Oakley Coaches (Snug) x 1 - Jack's Coaches (Longford) x 2 - Tasmanian Redline (Launceston) x 10 - Fenton's Coaches (Boat Harbour) x 1 - Crawn Motors (Ridgley) x 4 and Robert's Coaches (Huonville) x 2. So as you can see, they're scattered across the state. It will be interesting to see if any more appear over coming months :shock:

On the NEW bus/coach front, McDermott Coaches (Legana) have purchased a NEW Volvo B11R / Coach Design for their tours, whilst I've been informed the sister coach will arrive in January 2018 :D Metro's upcoming order for 100 NEW buses will commence with the prototype being delivered early Nov (from reports) with the first TAS built unit late Jan, early Feb 2018.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society, along with numerous operators, will have (12) buses on display at the upcoming FESTIVAL of WHEELS display at the Derwent Entertainment Centre SUNDAY 5th Nov. It is the Society's biggest display and will include #200, our latest addition (ex HC#38) ex Wells Waggons #32 and #706. Tasmanian Redline will display an older PMC bodied MB 1617, Tassielink's Bustech K310, Seabourne's MB O303, Burke's (ex HC#1) TBCS member's SB3 Bedford, Cresswell's 1418 MB. TTMS' TAA AEC and Roger Self's 1927 sideloader. The Society will also have their 2018 Tasmanian Buses calendar on sale ($18ea) Come and say hello :)
Attachments
Festival of Wheels small logo.jpg
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

New Bustech XDi show up on the news on Bustech Facebook pages. its fleet no 800.

https://www.facebook.com/Bustech.Pty.Lt ... Do&fref=nf Facebook access link.
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113 'Orana'

Post by 999 »

Two ex Metro Volvo B10M MkII Artics on Pass Road, Rokeby at the Vineyard. Parked back to back, one sporting a new graffiti style livery.

H.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Metro's new integral Bustech #800 is officially IN SERVICE, commencing services TODAY 14.12.17.
yoda

Post by yoda »

999 wrote:Two ex Metro Volvo B10M MkII Artics on Pass Road, Rokeby at the Vineyard. Parked back to back, one sporting a new graffiti style livery.

H.
718 (graffiti'd) and 719.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well 2017 comes to a close, and it's been quite eventful here in Tasmania. Metro are starting to get 100 new Tasmanian built Bustech buses (prototype arrived Nov) first TAS built unit Feb 2018, numerous operators have taken advantage of cheap Higer RoadBosses from collapsed mining companies, Red Decker introduced a new BCI enclosed DD, long time operator Morses (Devonport) sold the last of their operations to end over 70yrs, Wynyard Bus Lines extended their reach, buying Thomas (Oatlands) & Reynolds Chauffeured Cars & Coaches, introducing Grand Touring to the state, Merseylink have grown bigger with smaller operator purchases and Tasmania hosted the BIC Conference late in the year. With Bustech starting construction of 99 more new buses for Metro, and contract renewals in 2018, interesting (and exciting) time ahead in 2018.

On the Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society front, 2017 was a fantastic year. Bus 200 was completely restored and received international recognition for our efforts, Maxwell's AEC has commenced restoration in earnest, new buses to the fold through the generosity of Warrigal Charters NSW, successful fundraising ventures and our highest membership since our inception 7yrs ago. 2018 looks very exciting, with Maxwell's AEC our major focus, 706 (Volvo B10M artic) restoration will also commence through sponsorship from Volvo Bus Australia and more and more events and displays to attend, to showcase Tasmanian public transport history. Along with our usual events, 2018 looks to be very big for the Society.

On a personal note, I'd just like to thank all those that support the Society, follow our exploits on Facebook, through Bus Australia or attend our events. We appreciate your support and could not do it, without it. But again, and I cannot emphasise this enough, THANK YOU to the operators who constantly assist the Society through accommodation, friendly welcomes on visits, assist with parts if required and support the endeavours we do, to showcase YOUR industry. We strive to present the industry in a good light, but also recognise the history of our industry, something that is sometimes forgotten. It's good to look forward, but equally important, is what got us to where we are and don't forget that history. I've been involved for over 35yrs and seen a lot of changes and I look forward to staying around and see what the future has in store. So as we say goodbye to 2017, HELLO to 2018 and what the future presents. May we all be around to enjoy it.

Stay safe out there on the road, have a Happy New Year and see you all in 2018. (Tas Bus Nut)

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”