Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
wisbydriverB40
Favourite Vehicle: 1993 Hino CG277K

Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

I wanted to set up this topic (and also I will set one up in photos) for anyone to share their memories and photos of Don Hazell's beloved Hobart Coaches (and even though it is a bit away from buses) Hazell Bros.

I personally do not have any photos however I know there is a few members here who do, and altough I never worked for him personally he has always had a strong connection with Wisby's and also with many members who are on this forum.

I personally have met him once or twice and he was a true gentlemen, and through some of the stories I have heard both Gwen and Don were amazing community minded, and selfless people who always put others first. May both Gwen and Don Rest in Peace.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well said John :( Don was quite remarkable, and as you say, a true gentleman. Working for him for a few years, you could see his passion, and certainly created some innovations to the bus industry. There are many whom owe a great deal to Don Hazell, some whom are still heavily involved in the industry, but that's what it's like working for a family orientated business, and that's what it was like at Hazells (well in my day) A FAMILY. Gwen had been in a home for many years, but Don always visited her every day to sit by her side. Memories of Gwen cooking the scones for the kiosk at Hobart Coaches of a morning, and the early bus calling into the home to pick them up was a reminder of how loving she was. Don loved his buses, and especially showing off the new, always calling you down for your opinion after a new one hit the streets. I wish to pass on my condolences to the Hazell family for their loss, and will try and contribute to the PHOTO tribute in coming days. RIP Gwen & Donald. :(
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Re: Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Post by leyland clippers »

Don Hazell was very much hands on with Hobart Coaches. Whether it was driving the coaches, organizing freight dispatch or manning the counter at either 60 Collins Street or 4 Liverpool Street Don was always involved one way or another. My son and daughter used to travel on the Friday afternoon coach from Bicheno to Hobart on a regular basis. I asked Don once if they could travel for the same price as school students. He said unfortunately they couldn't but he said come and see me once in a while and I will give you a free ticket. In fact he gave me one there and then. I thanked him and he said that was okay I want to encourage people to use my coaches. I have never forgotten that.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”