• Advertisement

Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion

Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Postby wisbydriverB40 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:02 pm

I wanted to set up this topic (and also I will set one up in photos) for anyone to share their memories and photos of Don Hazell's beloved Hobart Coaches (and even though it is a bit away from buses) Hazell Bros.

I personally do not have any photos however I know there is a few members here who do, and altough I never worked for him personally he has always had a strong connection with Wisby's and also with many members who are on this forum.

I personally have met him once or twice and he was a true gentlemen, and through some of the stories I have heard both Gwen and Don were amazing community minded, and selfless people who always put others first. May both Gwen and Don Rest in Peace.
wisbydriverB40

Favourite Vehicle: 1993 Hino CG277K

Re: Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 am

Well said John :( Don was quite remarkable, and as you say, a true gentleman. Working for him for a few years, you could see his passion, and certainly created some innovations to the bus industry. There are many whom owe a great deal to Don Hazell, some whom are still heavily involved in the industry, but that's what it's like working for a family orientated business, and that's what it was like at Hazells (well in my day) A FAMILY. Gwen had been in a home for many years, but Don always visited her every day to sit by her side. Memories of Gwen cooking the scones for the kiosk at Hobart Coaches of a morning, and the early bus calling into the home to pick them up was a reminder of how loving she was. Don loved his buses, and especially showing off the new, always calling you down for your opinion after a new one hit the streets. I wish to pass on my condolences to the Hazell family for their loss, and will try and contribute to the PHOTO tribute in coming days. RIP Gwen & Donald. :(
Tas Bus Nut

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Hobart Coaches - A tribute to Don Hazell

Postby leyland clippers » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Don Hazell was very much hands on with Hobart Coaches. Whether it was driving the coaches, organizing freight dispatch or manning the counter at either 60 Collins Street or 4 Liverpool Street Don was always involved one way or another. My son and daughter used to travel on the Friday afternoon coach from Bicheno to Hobart on a regular basis. I asked Don once if they could travel for the same price as school students. He said unfortunately they couldn't but he said come and see me once in a while and I will give you a free ticket. In fact he gave me one there and then. I thanked him and he said that was okay I want to encourage people to use my coaches. I have never forgotten that.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
leyland clippers

Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)