Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Post by leyland clippers »

May and winter is now upon us in Tasmania. Here is this month's thread. This month we have AGFEST at Carrick from May 1st to 3rd. Also Targa Tasmania is also being held 6th-11th May.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

AND Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society have a mini-tour organised for May 25 > Metro. FULL details will be posted later in the month.
FEATURES WILL INCLUDE: Touring Metro's Hobart facilities, riding Metro's NEWEST buses K280/CB80, viewing Metro's OLDEST buses :mrgreen:
Hopefully, we may also get the opportunity to try some comparisons of OLD v NEW > > N113 NON-turbo v K280UB & B10M v K360UA :P

COSTINGS: Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society MEMBERS > $ 3.00 - NON-members $ 8.00 - (start time 11:45am @ Metro Springfield)

Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Sat May 17, 2014 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
leyland clippers

Thanks Neil.
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Will try to be there....but I'm usually working on Sundays now...
danielb

Post by danielb »

XXX yeah, that's cheap :). I should be able to come too! It will be good to meet everyone in person rather than hiding on the net like a forum phantom lol.
yoda

Post by yoda »

A team of drivers from Metro is starting off a photography exhibition.
Titled "Hobart from the Bus", it is aimed at capturing the sights of Hobart that drivers come across daily.
At this point in time we can only accept images from drivers, but if successful may expand to accept images from the wider public audience.

To view these images as they are submitted, visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrotasphotos/
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

Cheers Neil, I would like to take my own photos of #334 in the GREASE MUSICAL AOA. Is there any word it will be in the depot whilst we are there, and I'd like to ride on the new CB80s too :D
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:Cheers Neil, I would like to take my own photos of #334 in the GREASE MUSICAL AOA. Is there any word it will be in the depot whilst we are there, and I'd like to ride on the new CB80s too :D
No guarantees on which buses are available on the weekend. The ONLY certainty will be the non-turbo variety.
IF 334 is there, we will position it for photographs. 230 will be on the road MONDAY with new AOA for UTAS
:wink:
ScaniaL94UB

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

That's my type of bus #230 :mrgreen:

Oh and yoda, nice pictures on the Metro competition on Flickr.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Just a note re: Metro mini-tour NEXT Sunday 25th May. Start point is NOW @ Metro Springfield (Stop A) 11:45am

ALL participants MUST wear HI-VISIBILTY vest. NO VEST, NO ENTRY, NO EXCEPTIONS

ALL participants must NOT enter premises until directed by tour leader and MUST stay TOGETHER whilst on Metro premises.
To facilitate Metro policies (re: visitors) the group leader will be required to SIGN-IN participants, so this will be done as quickly as possible.
Some of you may be required to wear visitor passes (supplied) - (particularly non-Metro employees)
NOBODY can wander off by themselves, as this is a working depot and buses WILL be moving around the yard whilst we are visiting.

Due to Metro's policies, ALL participants MUST adhere to Metro's WH&S guidelines & regulations. If you don't, you WILL be asked
to vacate the premises. ALL participants MUST do as directed by group leader, OR Metro supervisor that's on hand / in charge

I know there seems like a LOT of rules/regulations to follow, but unfortunately, that is the way of the world now. If we stay as a group,
follow the group leader's instructions, we will see what we want, quickly & safely, enabling us to move buses for photos & visit again in the future.

Reminder on cost of tour to cover expenses: TBCS members: $3.00 - NON-TBCS members $8.00. Tour will go for approx. 2-3hrs
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Spotted last week on the Brooker Hwy (hence no photo) was a Tasmanian Redline King Long midi. Thought it may have been #28 (tour coach from last year's tour), however THIS one had Tasmanian Redline SIGNAGE across the front above the headlights :shock: Positive #28 didn't have that. Do they have ANOTHER new one :?: :?:
yoda

Post by yoda »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Spotted last week on the Brooker Hwy (hence no photo) was a Tasmanian Redline King Long midi. Thought it may have been #28 (tour coach from last year's tour), however THIS one had Tasmanian Redline SIGNAGE across the front above the headlights :shock: Positive #28 didn't have that. Do they have ANOTHER new one :?: :?:
Uhhhhhh wut?
IMAG2752tn.jpg
ScaniaL94UB

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

It's not a lot of rigmarole Neil. :wink: I had to adhere to all this when I was in the workshops, I was given the full walkabout and a company policy handbook.
Not hard people just need to listen and keep an eye out for buses, listen to the instructor and nothing disasterous will happen at all. Safety is No. 1 in the transport industry.
leyland clippers

This isn't actually a bus observation but a train observation. It has been reported in "The Examiner" that TasRail have been receiving complaints about the horns on the new TR class locos. More so at Ulverstone and Penguin. Three TR class locos passed through Claremont on Saturday morning ad of course has to sound the horn. IMO it sounds awesome, nice and loud
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

leyland clippers wrote:This isn't actually a bus observation but a train observation. It has been reported in "The Examiner" that TasRail have been receiving complaints about the horns on the new TR class locos. More so at Ulverstone and Penguin. Three TR class locos passed through Claremont on Saturday morning ad of course has to sound the horn. IMO it sounds awesome, nice and loud
:mrgreen:
yoda wrote:Uhhhhhh wut?
Ooops :oops: Didn't realise it had signage on front, HOWEVER, on enquiry to the "source" TRC DO have another new midi :wink:
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Who needs a alarm clock when you got the TRs horns to wake you so as long you don`t have hangover from the night before. :mrgreen:
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
ScaniaL94UB

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

One of the new TR class locos passed through Cornellian Bay on Friday night, great horn sounds. :twisted:
leyland clippers

ScaniaL94UB wrote:One of the new TR class locos passed through Cornellian Bay on Friday night, great horn sounds. :twisted:
Check out the TasRail FB page regarding this. One woman in particular can't seem to grasp the fact that the railway was there before people decided to set up house near the line.
ScaniaL94UB

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I've seen it but I can't quite understand why people are complaining about this....It's a safety procedure to blow the horn metres before the crossing or street...IF it's going to stop people from being run-over why not. :?
Z1-2110
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113 Orana

Post by Z1-2110 »

Not just TasRail's facebook page, The Advocate's fb page too. Seems to me that people don't understand its out of TasRail's hand and into the national standards, whoever they are. On a still as night, they bloody echo a fair way. Its a great sound and should be that loud too.

Spotted the Uni AOA bus today in Burnie, number 631
danielb

Post by danielb »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Just a note re: Metro mini-tour NEXT Sunday 25th May. Start point is NOW @ Metro Springfield (Stop A) 11:45am

ALL participants MUST wear HI-VISIBILTY vest. NO VEST, NO ENTRY, NO EXCEPTIONS

ALL participants must NOT enter premises until directed by tour leader and MUST stay TOGETHER whilst on Metro premises.
To facilitate Metro policies (re: visitors) the group leader will be required to SIGN-IN participants, so this will be done as quickly as possible.
Some of you may be required to wear visitor passes (supplied) - (particularly non-Metro employees)
NOBODY can wander off by themselves, as this is a working depot and buses WILL be moving around the yard whilst we are visiting.

Due to Metro's policies, ALL participants MUST adhere to Metro's WH&S guidelines & regulations. If you don't, you WILL be asked
to vacate the premises. ALL participants MUST do as directed by group leader, OR Metro supervisor that's on hand / in charge

I know there seems like a LOT of rules/regulations to follow, but unfortunately, that is the way of the world now. If we stay as a group,
follow the group leader's instructions, we will see what we want, quickly & safely, enabling us to move buses for photos & visit again in the future.

Reminder on cost of tour to cover expenses: TBCS members: $3.00 - NON-TBCS members $8.00. Tour will go for approx. 2-3hrs

Hey neil, do we need to supply our own vest or do Metro have some for visitors?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

danielb wrote:Hey neil, do we need to supply our own vest or do Metro have some for visitors?
Need to supply your own danielb. Unfortunately Metro don't even have any spares for when drivers forget theirs. :shock:
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

[/color]. Unfortunately Metro don't even have any spares for when drivers forget theirs. :shock: [/b][/quote] well hope they can explain if a person gets hit on their property not having one.....................don't think the court would except we can afford to buy SPARES! :oops: :evil: :twisted:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

captainch wrote: well hope they can explain if a person gets hit on their property not having one.....................don't think the court would except we can afford to buy SPARES! :oops: :evil: :twisted:
If they don't have one captainch, they are NOT allowed to enter certain areas. (ie: outside the rear of the building where the buses are parked)
If we have a drama, we normally borrow someone else's to allow us to access the bus(es)
ScaniaL94UB

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

Hi danielb.
I did some searching around for hi-vis work vests on the internet and I know for a fact you can get a decent green or orange vest at your local Big W store for about $8 dollars, which is pretty good. I would lend one but I'm lending it to my mate who's coming to the tour. Might see you there buddy. :D

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”