• Advertisement

Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion

Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby leyland clippers » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:04 pm

May and winter is now upon us in Tasmania. Here is this month's thread. This month we have AGFEST at Carrick from May 1st to 3rd. Also Targa Tasmania is also being held 6th-11th May.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
User avatar
leyland clippers
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: Claremont Tas
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Thu May 01, 2014 6:49 pm

AND Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society have a mini-tour organised for May 25 > Metro. FULL details will be posted later in the month.
FEATURES WILL INCLUDE: Touring Metro's Hobart facilities, riding Metro's NEWEST buses K280/CB80, viewing Metro's OLDEST buses :mrgreen:
Hopefully, we may also get the opportunity to try some comparisons of OLD v NEW > > N113 NON-turbo v K280UB & B10M v K360UA :P


COSTINGS: Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society MEMBERS > $ 3.00 - NON-members $ 8.00 - (start time 11:45am @ Metro Springfield)

Image
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Sat May 17, 2014 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby leyland clippers » Thu May 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks Neil.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
User avatar
leyland clippers
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: Claremont Tas
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Derwent » Fri May 02, 2014 11:24 am

Will try to be there....but I'm usually working on Sundays now...
User avatar
Derwent
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:24 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby danielb » Fri May 02, 2014 6:46 pm

XXX yeah, that's cheap :). I should be able to come too! It will be good to meet everyone in person rather than hiding on the net like a forum phantom lol.
danielb
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby yoda » Sat May 03, 2014 3:37 pm

A team of drivers from Metro is starting off a photography exhibition.
Titled "Hobart from the Bus", it is aimed at capturing the sights of Hobart that drivers come across daily.
At this point in time we can only accept images from drivers, but if successful may expand to accept images from the wider public audience.

To view these images as they are submitted, visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrotasphotos/
User avatar
yoda
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 am
Has thanked: 443 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby ScaniaL94UB » Sat May 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Cheers Neil, I would like to take my own photos of #334 in the GREASE MUSICAL AOA. Is there any word it will be in the depot whilst we are there, and I'd like to ride on the new CB80s too :D
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
User avatar
ScaniaL94UB
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Metro Springfield Depot
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Sat May 03, 2014 6:27 pm

ScaniaL94UB wrote:Cheers Neil, I would like to take my own photos of #334 in the GREASE MUSICAL AOA. Is there any word it will be in the depot whilst we are there, and I'd like to ride on the new CB80s too :D
No guarantees on which buses are available on the weekend. The ONLY certainty will be the non-turbo variety.
IF 334 is there, we will position it for photographs. 230 will be on the road MONDAY with new AOA for UTAS
:wink:
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby ScaniaL94UB » Sat May 03, 2014 7:06 pm

That's my type of bus #230 :mrgreen:

Oh and yoda, nice pictures on the Metro competition on Flickr.
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
User avatar
ScaniaL94UB
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Metro Springfield Depot
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Sat May 17, 2014 8:16 am

Just a note re: Metro mini-tour NEXT Sunday 25th May. Start point is NOW @ Metro Springfield (Stop A) 11:45am

ALL participants MUST wear HI-VISIBILTY vest. NO VEST, NO ENTRY, NO EXCEPTIONS

ALL participants must NOT enter premises until directed by tour leader and MUST stay TOGETHER whilst on Metro premises.
To facilitate Metro policies (re: visitors) the group leader will be required to SIGN-IN participants, so this will be done as quickly as possible.
Some of you may be required to wear visitor passes (supplied) - (particularly non-Metro employees)
NOBODY can wander off by themselves, as this is a working depot and buses WILL be moving around the yard whilst we are visiting.

Due to Metro's policies, ALL participants MUST adhere to Metro's WH&S guidelines & regulations. If you don't, you WILL be asked
to vacate the premises. ALL participants MUST do as directed by group leader, OR Metro supervisor that's on hand / in charge

I know there seems like a LOT of rules/regulations to follow, but unfortunately, that is the way of the world now. If we stay as a group,
follow the group leader's instructions, we will see what we want, quickly & safely, enabling us to move buses for photos & visit again in the future.

Reminder on cost of tour to cover expenses: TBCS members: $3.00 - NON-TBCS members $8.00. Tour will go for approx. 2-3hrs
.
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Sun May 18, 2014 8:03 am

Spotted last week on the Brooker Hwy (hence no photo) was a Tasmanian Redline King Long midi. Thought it may have been #28 (tour coach from last year's tour), however THIS one had Tasmanian Redline SIGNAGE across the front above the headlights :shock: Positive #28 didn't have that. Do they have ANOTHER new one :?: :?:
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby yoda » Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 am

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Spotted last week on the Brooker Hwy (hence no photo) was a Tasmanian Redline King Long midi. Thought it may have been #28 (tour coach from last year's tour), however THIS one had Tasmanian Redline SIGNAGE across the front above the headlights :shock: Positive #28 didn't have that. Do they have ANOTHER new one :?: :?:


Uhhhhhh wut?

IMAG2752tn.jpg
User avatar
yoda
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 am
Has thanked: 443 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby ScaniaL94UB » Sun May 18, 2014 4:54 pm

It's not a lot of rigmarole Neil. :wink: I had to adhere to all this when I was in the workshops, I was given the full walkabout and a company policy handbook.
Not hard people just need to listen and keep an eye out for buses, listen to the instructor and nothing disasterous will happen at all. Safety is No. 1 in the transport industry.
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
User avatar
ScaniaL94UB
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Metro Springfield Depot
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby leyland clippers » Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 pm

This isn't actually a bus observation but a train observation. It has been reported in "The Examiner" that TasRail have been receiving complaints about the horns on the new TR class locos. More so at Ulverstone and Penguin. Three TR class locos passed through Claremont on Saturday morning ad of course has to sound the horn. IMO it sounds awesome, nice and loud
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
User avatar
leyland clippers
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: Claremont Tas
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Mon May 19, 2014 5:17 pm

leyland clippers wrote:This isn't actually a bus observation but a train observation. It has been reported in "The Examiner" that TasRail have been receiving complaints about the horns on the new TR class locos. More so at Ulverstone and Penguin. Three TR class locos passed through Claremont on Saturday morning ad of course has to sound the horn. IMO it sounds awesome, nice and loud
:mrgreen:

yoda wrote:Uhhhhhh wut?
Ooops :oops: Didn't realise it had signage on front, HOWEVER, on enquiry to the "source" TRC DO have another new midi :wink:
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Bedford-29 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Who needs a alarm clock when you got the TRs horns to wake you so as long you don`t have hangover from the night before. :mrgreen:
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
User avatar
Bedford-29
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby ScaniaL94UB » Mon May 19, 2014 6:22 pm

One of the new TR class locos passed through Cornellian Bay on Friday night, great horn sounds. :twisted:
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
User avatar
ScaniaL94UB
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Metro Springfield Depot
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby leyland clippers » Mon May 19, 2014 8:14 pm

ScaniaL94UB wrote:One of the new TR class locos passed through Cornellian Bay on Friday night, great horn sounds. :twisted:

Check out the TasRail FB page regarding this. One woman in particular can't seem to grasp the fact that the railway was there before people decided to set up house near the line.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
User avatar
leyland clippers
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: Claremont Tas
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby ScaniaL94UB » Mon May 19, 2014 10:15 pm

I've seen it but I can't quite understand why people are complaining about this....It's a safety procedure to blow the horn metres before the crossing or street...IF it's going to stop people from being run-over why not. :?
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
User avatar
ScaniaL94UB
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Metro Springfield Depot
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Z1-2110 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Not just TasRail's facebook page, The Advocate's fb page too. Seems to me that people don't understand its out of TasRail's hand and into the national standards, whoever they are. On a still as night, they bloody echo a fair way. Its a great sound and should be that loud too.

Spotted the Uni AOA bus today in Burnie, number 631
User avatar
Z1-2110
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: Burnie, Tasmania
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 26 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113 Orana

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby danielb » Tue May 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Just a note re: Metro mini-tour NEXT Sunday 25th May. Start point is NOW @ Metro Springfield (Stop A) 11:45am

ALL participants MUST wear HI-VISIBILTY vest. NO VEST, NO ENTRY, NO EXCEPTIONS

ALL participants must NOT enter premises until directed by tour leader and MUST stay TOGETHER whilst on Metro premises.
To facilitate Metro policies (re: visitors) the group leader will be required to SIGN-IN participants, so this will be done as quickly as possible.
Some of you may be required to wear visitor passes (supplied) - (particularly non-Metro employees)
NOBODY can wander off by themselves, as this is a working depot and buses WILL be moving around the yard whilst we are visiting.

Due to Metro's policies, ALL participants MUST adhere to Metro's WH&S guidelines & regulations. If you don't, you WILL be asked
to vacate the premises. ALL participants MUST do as directed by group leader, OR Metro supervisor that's on hand / in charge

I know there seems like a LOT of rules/regulations to follow, but unfortunately, that is the way of the world now. If we stay as a group,
follow the group leader's instructions, we will see what we want, quickly & safely, enabling us to move buses for photos & visit again in the future.

Reminder on cost of tour to cover expenses: TBCS members: $3.00 - NON-TBCS members $8.00. Tour will go for approx. 2-3hrs
.



Hey neil, do we need to supply our own vest or do Metro have some for visitors?
danielb
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 am

danielb wrote:Hey neil, do we need to supply our own vest or do Metro have some for visitors?
Need to supply your own danielb. Unfortunately Metro don't even have any spares for when drivers forget theirs. :shock:
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby captainch » Wed May 21, 2014 3:47 pm

[/color]. Unfortunately Metro don't even have any spares for when drivers forget theirs. :shock: [/b][/quote] well hope they can explain if a person gets hit on their property not having one.....................don't think the court would except we can afford to buy SPARES! :oops: :evil: :twisted:
User avatar
captainch
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:37 am
Has thanked: 2988 times
Been thanked: 440 times
Favourite Vehicle: M/O3533/MO687

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Wed May 21, 2014 6:39 pm

captainch wrote: well hope they can explain if a person gets hit on their property not having one.....................don't think the court would except we can afford to buy SPARES! :oops: :evil: :twisted:
If they don't have one captainch, they are NOT allowed to enter certain areas. (ie: outside the rear of the building where the buses are parked)
If we have a drama, we normally borrow someone else's to allow us to access the bus(es)
User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
 
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Hobart Tasmania
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 803 times
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May 2014

Postby ScaniaL94UB » Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi danielb.
I did some searching around for hi-vis work vests on the internet and I know for a fact you can get a decent green or orange vest at your local Big W store for about $8 dollars, which is pretty good. I would lend one but I'm lending it to my mate who's coming to the tour. Might see you there buddy. :D
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
User avatar
ScaniaL94UB
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Metro Springfield Depot
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 22 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Next


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests