Tasmanian Bus Observations September 2013

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Tasmanian Bus Observations September 2013

Post by leyland clippers »

Spring is in the air :) . Another month has come and gone so here is the September thread.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations September 2013

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

TASMANIAN BUS & COACH SOCIETY NEWS

Upcoming Events - September

SUN 15th > Annual MAJOR fundraiser > BBQ @ Bunnings Derwent Park
BBQ assistance will commence from 7:50am and continue till approx. 4:30pm
ANY assistance for ANY amount of time will be greatly appreciated.**
** ANY member assisting will be REQUIRED to wear their TB&CS polo/shirt.
barbeque_cartoon.gif
barbeque_cartoon.gif (5.26 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
SUN 29th > General Meeting @ TB&CS 81 Chapel St Glenorchy > 12noon
Agenda:
1 - Assess restoration requirements for Maxwell's 1967 AEC/Denning.
2 - View and look over the bus now that it's located on-site.
3 - General housekeeping/cleaning
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Metro's LATEST CB80 has ARRIVED. yoda may be able to clarify, either (1) OR (2) to come. Initially there was (5) in TOTAL, however I have heard recently there may be a (6)th. NOW that #715 appears retired to be used as parts bus, I assume #714 will remain in service. :?: Considering 714 & 715 are still in two-tone green livery with vinyl seats, I STILL would have thought #714 would have been used as the donor bus :roll:
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

How about some CB80 rigid buses Metro hey Neil. :mrgreen:
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Bedford-29 wrote:How about some CB80 rigid buses Metro hey Neil. :mrgreen:
Apparently 7 on order. Assume THEY won't be here until mid NEXT year :roll: If they look as sh%t as the artics, I'll wait thanks :(
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
Bedford-29 wrote:How about some CB80 rigid buses Metro hey Neil. :mrgreen:
Apparently 7 on order. Assume THEY won't be here until mid NEXT year :roll: If they look as sh%t as the artics, I'll wait thanks :(
Bound to be Neil.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Bit of diversion for the Rte.X4 yesterday afternoon after a workplace injury on a roadwork site in Battersby Dve. Normally X4s would travel > Claremont Link Rd (L) into Canberra Rd, (L) into Battersby Dve then (R) into Box Hill Rd before (L) into Adelphi Rd, however due to Battersby being closed for the afternoon (and into the night according to leyland clippers), buses were sent straight through Canberra Rd (L) into Box Hill then (R) into Adelphi. This would have involved missing 3 stops (2 in Battersby & 1 in Box Hill) HOPEFULLY, things are back to normal this morning as I do an inward X10 (similar route) :mrgreen:

Once again, teething problems with the new artics (doors). Another driver (who's driven them before) had problems enroute with the doors (can't describe the problem) and by his radio response, had had enough of the new ones. HIS comment: "Don't give me one of these tomorrow, cause I won't drive it. Give me an old one" VOLVO live on :lol:
leyland clippers

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Bit of diversion for the Rte.X4 yesterday afternoon after a workplace injury on a roadwork site in Battersby Dve. Normally X4s would travel > Claremont Link Rd (L) into Canberra Rd, (L) into Battersby Dve then (R) into Box Hill Rd before (L) into Adelphi Rd, however due to Battersby being closed for the afternoon (and into the night according to leyland clippers), buses were sent straight through Canberra Rd (L) into Box Hill then (R) into Adelphi. This would have involved missing 3 stops (2 in Battersby & 1 in Box Hill) HOPEFULLY, things are back to normal this morning as I do an inward X10 (similar route) :mrgreen:

Once again, teething problems with the new artics (doors). Another driver (who's driven them before) had problems enroute with the doors (can't describe the problem) and by his radio response, had had enough of the new ones. HIS comment: "Don't give me one of these tomorrow, cause I won't drive it. Give me an old one" VOLVO live on :lol:
Road still closed at 7.00am this morning, was very quiet last night and this morning with no traffic.
leyland clippers

Was still closed this morning although excavator has been removed and bollards around accident area have gone too.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Informed today Frosty, it's going to be closed until Monday. NO cars allowed in Battersby UNTIL road resurfaced. They have also changed the road crew (apparently) Only local residents allowed,
ben_computer freak
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M PMC Articulated

Post by ben_computer freak »

I'm Ben, new to Bus Australia and yes I'm from Hobart, have may be talked to some of you guys on Tas Bus & Coach Society's facebook group. I know ScaniaL94UB (Josh) very well he's a good friend of mine. So nice to meet you all hopefully I can be introduced. :D
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Welcome Ben. Just watch your language on THIS site, as administrators will NOT tolerate bad or derogative language. THIS site (IMO) is great for putting LARGE selection of photographs together (Photo Section), unlike Facebook, where the pictures aren't as big and it's easier to find OLD posts regarding to some specific subjects. Have fun, express your opinions and enjoy what the site has to offer.
ben_computer freak
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M PMC Articulated

Post by ben_computer freak »

Thanks Tas Bus Nut.
leyland clippers

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Informed today Frosty, it's going to be closed until Monday. NO cars allowed in Battersby UNTIL road resurfaced. They have also changed the road crew (apparently) Only local residents allowed,
Thanks for that Neil, road has been almost re-sealed as of yesterday 10/09. Would have been nice for GCC to inform us of how long the road was to be closed for :roll: Notice on bus stop poles advised that stops would not be serviced until Wednesday 4/09.
jmc3612
Favourite Vehicle: CB60

Post by jmc3612 »

According to Metro's Service Disruption Notice 12/09/2013 Battersby Drive will now be closed until Friday 4th October 2013
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

#314 has had it's 7HO/FM 'Breakfast with the Stars' AOA removed. Word is, 7HO/FM is having a NEW AOA, so one would assume #314 will be wrapped with a new AOA within the next week. Stay tuned for pics.
Also correspondence from the NW (Wilbur) shows Merseylink #2 has been refurbished with new lights, new paint and repositioned exhaust. Quite attractive for a 17yo Orana. Photos here > http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 47&t=75043
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

You have finally signed up Ben! Finally. Welcome to the board good mate!
Thanks Josh :D
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
leyland clippers

Tas Bus Nut wrote:#314 has had it's 7HO/FM 'Breakfast with the Stars' AOA removed. Word is, 7HO/FM is having a NEW AOA, so one would assume #314 will be wrapped with a new AOA within the next week. Stay tuned for pics.
Also correspondence from the NW (Wilbur) shows Merseylink #2 has been refurbished with new lights, new paint and repositioned exhaust. Quite attractive for a 17yo Orana. Photos here > http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 47&t=75043
Well Breakfast With The Stars is no longer. No doubt Mick and Jane will get a plug on the new AOA.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

leyland clippers wrote:Well Breakfast With The Stars is no longer. No doubt Mick and Jane will get a plug on the new AOA.
ONE of the Breakfast with the Stars is no longer. Don't know about #301 :?: Talking to bothwellflyer and he mentioned TWO (2) AOAs, although conversation with Metro revealed only (1), sooo we'll have to wait and see :shock:
LB608

Post by LB608 »

I am in New Zealand, I am aware that Red Decker Leyland Atlantean (1085) FC8993 is in Sydney, has it been SOLD? or is it there for the Bus Show?
leyland clippers

LB608 wrote:I am in New Zealand, I am aware that Red Decker Leyland Atlantean (1085) FC8993 is in Sydney, has it been SOLD? or is it there for the Bus Show?
This has been sold, was on it's way to Byron Bay or somewhere up that way. Got rear ended by a truck on way to Sydney. Not sure whether it's been written off or not.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Although neglecting to NOTICE this whilst driving this bus, it was alerted to me mid-morning :oops: :oops: Metro are going to fit ALL buses with this plug @ front of all buses which will allow mechanics to simply PLUG into the bus, to jump start the bus in the event of flat batteries, rather than lifting side panel, swinging battery box out and connecting to leads. Handy if bus parked close to an embankment, which would restrict access to the side panel.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

thats a VERY GOOD idea,others should do the same :roll: :lol:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

TASMANIAN BUS & COACH SOCIETY NEWS:

Monthly meeting 29th Sept - 81 Chapel St.
As mentioned previously, this month's general meeting WAS to involve looking over Maxwell's AEC/Denning
and assessing how big a restoration job we have on our hands. This would enable us to see who can assist
in which areas of expertise.
Unfortunately, circumstances beyond our control, #52 (AEC) won't be here in time for this month's meeting.
BUT we do have other events organised as a contingency.
MANY would NOT be aware, but the 21st Sept was VERY SIGNIFICANT in Tasmania's TRANSPORT history
(the FIRST tram ran in Hobart on the 21st Sept 1893, 120yrs ago last Saturday) To mark this
event (or commemorate the date and it's significance) the TB&CS will visit the Tasmanian Transport Museum
to view one of the ORIGINAL Double Decker trams from that period (although #46 a little later). The TBCS wish
to thank the TTM for their association with the TBCS in allowing us to visit/view the exhibit. This however,
will only be a short visit (approx. 1hr) from there, retracing a few of the Nthn Suburbs OLD bus routes no
longer used (ie: Tolosa St, Brent St & Rosetta). SO, bring your camera and your usual enthusiasm for a
great day out on our monthly jaunt.
Members are to MEET @ 81 Chapel St (TBCS HQ) @ 11:45am on Sunday 29th for a 12noon departureSHARP :!:
Execs will bring members up-to-date on current events, what is happening behind the scenes and how things
are progressing with the arrival/delivery of #52 Maxwell's AEC.

Mark your calendar for October. October's monthly meeting, we will be visiting/riding RED DECKER Co. premises/buses.
This will be an early start on the Sunday and involve 'mingling' with the public on the NEW ANKAI Double Decker.
So remember: Sunday October 27th for the Red Decker Co tour. (approx. 4-4 1/2hrs duration - 8:30am > 1:00pm)
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Spotted Cowens heading out the Brooker Hwy in the rain yesterday. Unfortunately heading the opposite direction AND late for work, so NO pic :( Can anyone (from the mainland) enlighten WHERE they are from, possibly Coach design body, but really not sure :?:

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”