Tasmanian Bus Observations May2013

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
wisbydriverB40
Favourite Vehicle: 1993 Hino CG277K

Tasmanian Bus Observations May2013

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Well dropped off doug and co. To the airport.. On their way to get the renault macks artics from action.. Should be fun driving those from ACT to Margate :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations April 2013

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

I reckon they will be PASSED as we head north on the tour :mrgreen: Might ring Doug and get him to call into Phoenix for a viewing :lol: Thanks wisbydriverB41 <<<
wisbydriverB40

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Well they are due back on monday morning so i reckon you might be a day late for that one.. They are spending some time in melb i think.. Managed to get a yard they can keep them in till sun night otherwise parking could be an issue... I wonder if a hotel would have room for 3 artics lmao :)

yeah ishould update that user name lol.. I also have been on a mission and managed to track doen the supplier for the led desto sign on b41.. Should get the parts to program it next week and then doug requested it say "go saints" lol... Reckon you might want it to say otherwise eh tasbusnut lol :)
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

wisbydriverB40 wrote:Reckon you might want it to say otherwise eh tasbusnut lol :)
YES indeed :mrgreen: I'll have to have some words with the old boy over that :lol: As long as it doesn't say Bombers :evil:
Ryan
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1

Post by Ryan »

Apparently a couple of ACTION's recently retired Renault PR180.2 Mk1 articulated buses are heading to Tasmania.

Anyone know who has purchased them?

They are ex BUS 701, 702 and 710.
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •
wisbydriverB40

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Hi Ryan

All three are heading to Wisby's school bus service in Hobart. After they arrive they are going to be repainted white (possibly with an orange and yellow stripe).

I think 2 are going in service with one as a spare or for parts.. Unsure at this stage till they get back here. Will post pics when they are resprayed.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

wisbydriverB40 wrote:Hi Ryan

All three are heading to Wisby's school bus service in Hobart. After they arrive they are going to be repainted white (possibly with an orange and yellow stripe).

I think 2 are going in service with one as a spare or for parts.. Unsure at this stage till they get back here. Will post pics when they are resprayed.
Thanks mate, pics would be great. Are they just buying the three?

If anyone's after their details for fleet lists:
http://www.actbus.net/fleetwiki/index.php?title=BUS_701
http://www.actbus.net/fleetwiki/index.php?title=BUS_702
http://www.actbus.net/fleetwiki/index.php?title=BUS_710
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •
wisbydriverB40

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

As far as i'm aware doug is only buying the three at this stage.. I guess he wants to see how they go down here but i know he was keen on buying a later model rigid if he likes the artics.. See how they go eh. How did you find them up in action? Any problems that are common with them?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Speaking as a passenger, I've always loved them, but I did grow up riding on them. Others could probably comment on any common mechanical issues.

They're fairly reliable but given they're around 25 years old, they do break down from time to time.

Of the original batch of 27, only one was withdrawn before its time and that was due to driver error, so I would say that says a lot about their reliability (or just that the Government held out on buying new ones for as long as it could!). About a dozen of the first batch are still in service.

There's over 100 Renault rigids still in service, so there'll certainly be plenty of opportunities to pick one of those up down the road. :)
wisbydriverB40

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Thats a pretty promising sign if they have had them for that long, i did get a look at the service records and seemed really well maintained! If they are anything like the volvo artics we have here then they must have be pretty reliable to last this long lol :)

it will be sad to see the old artics go but hopefully the renaults will make a fine replacement :)

Oh and by the way tasbusnut i was thinking that the desto sign could read something more like go crows lol :lol:
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Soooo, ex ACTION 701, 702 (and 710) :mrgreen: That's coincidental. They are REPLACING ex MTT 701, 702 :mrgreen:
From discussions with Doug, 2 will enter service, 1 for spares and the ex STA B58 will be back-up bus
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Good to see a B58 has a reprieve, thought the same thing about the numbers.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

Be interesting to.see how the ex MTT B58's end up
wisbydriverB40

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Yeah we thought it was kind of coincidental as well lol. Just a shame Pete couldn't see them.. He was pretty excited to check them out. R.i.p mate
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Thought the BT B10M Mk3 Austral artics would have been a better buy unless their condition wasn't as good as the ACTION Renaults.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
jmc3612
Favourite Vehicle: CB60

Post by jmc3612 »

Saw 2 of them traveling down the highway at claremont about 11:30am this morning.
Tas Bus Nut

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations May2013

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Bugger, missed them by about 10min :evil:
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Just going through the "gen" from my trip down last week.

Metro (11) Orana ex Hobart Coaches was parked down in Wisby's yard. Have they bought this?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

No, NOT Wisby's but Sam Roland. His details are not on Fleet Lists. Originally owned the ex Metro MB OH1316 that was also parked @ Wisby's. They operate a school run from up the back of Margate to (I think) Margate Primary. Sam is maintenance contractor for Metro. The Merc has been brought by his driver, who will convert to motorhome.

Did you hear from Michael on the tour that Redline have taken delivery of (2) Higer Munros :?:
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Thanks Neil. That OH1316 must be EP 2017 with the maroon diagonally curved rear stripe? Saw that in the yard too.

No I didn't hear they'd bought Munros. They are by far my least favourite import on the market, but its hard to argue with their price!
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

When trying to find out what school run the Scania does, I came across this bit of info on the Margate P.S. website:

"From Tuesday 1st May, Wisby’s Bus Service will be taking over the existing contract of David Dawes (Kingston Bus). The service will not change at all. If you have any enquiries please contact Wisby’s"

No sign of Dawes' Metrotec at Wisby's yard when Spud and I went past last Thursday.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Ben O wrote:When trying to find out what school run the Scania does, I came across this bit of info on the Margate P.S. website:

"From Tuesday 1st May, Wisby’s Bus Service will be taking over the existing contract of David Dawes (Kingston Bus). The service will not change at all. If you have any enquiries please contact Wisby’s"

No sign of Dawes' Metrotec at Wisby's yard when Spud and I went past last Thursday.
Off memory (with discussions with Doug) Doug was taking over the run, but not sure about the bus. I HAVE to go down to Doug's at the end of this week, so I'll ask. Will check the details on the run that Sam does too and what "business name" he operates under.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Managed to photograph Coal River Coaches NEW Mercedes Benz OH1228L / IRIZAR today. There was a major school movement @ D.E.C. which involved about 6 Coal River Coaches, 3-4 Tas Redline, numerous small operators and 10+ O'Driscoll Coaches. Pictures in Photo Section.
VolvoDriver
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M artic/Scania L94UB

Post by VolvoDriver »

Good to see #11 is still around Hobar then! I remember getting that bus every Saturday when it was a Hobart Coach. Great sounding ZF transmission. I believe it was an L113? Anyway, I am still really annoyed I never got a spin in it at Metro! Looking forwad to seeing some snaps of the Renault artics in Hobart!! Always good to see more artics! There's a serious lack of them in Melbourne!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Although not QUITE back on the road, #245 has had the steerable tag FIXED, allowing it to operate WITHOUT a permit. Expressions of interest have been called for TWO (2) drivers to drive it permanently.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”