Metro - Statewide industrial act strike.

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Metro - Statewide industrial act strike.

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

Metro has informed the public that a strike will occur on the 21 of February 2013. It has been advertised - by many resources.
http://metrotas.com.au/alerts/view/573/ ... RY%202013/
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... -news.html
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
jmc3612
Favourite Vehicle: CB60

Re: Metro - Statewide industrial act strike.

Post by jmc3612 »

yeah just the drivers holding the traveling public to ransom, don't get what you want take your bat and ball and go home:-(
most comments on the media already portray some bus drivers as being arrogant and rude, these demands of industrial actions won't help the cause

This is my opinion and we are all entitled to that
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

jmc3612 wrote:yeah just the drivers holding the traveling public to ransom, don't get what you want take your bat and ball and go home:-(
most comments on the media already portray some bus drivers as being arrogant and rude, these demands of industrial actions won't help the cause

This is my opinion and we are all entitled to that
You ARE entitled to an opinion too, however step into our shoes and you'd realise this was the LAST resort and ALWAYS is a LAST resort. Trouble with the MEDIA reports, it ONLY reports ONE side, the MANAGEMENT'S, but HEY!! why shouldn't the Board of Directors, who only sit ONCE a MONTH and make decisions that SHOULD be made by lesser people get a 24% pay-rise on their massive salaries. That's just like saying the Government WERE entitled to 40% years ago. AS USUAL, the ACTUAL WORKERS (on the coal-face) have to BEG/FIGHT for a mere 3% AND THEN THEY WON'T GIVE IT TO US :!: So yeh, you're right, we're only "drivers holding the public to ransom". I'm afraid those sort of comments lead me to believe - YOU have NO IDEA of the SH#T that goes on (particularly) @ Metro. :evil:
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Yesterday morning @ about 10.10am there were people waiting at the bus stop outside the Mid-City Motor Inn. :roll: This was despite the fact that there was a notice on the timetable explaining this. Also the stopwork meeting was given extensive coverage by both radio and newspaper so if anyone got caught out it is their own fault. Oh by the way well said Neil.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Well said Neil and to the point, most of the public do not understand the facts and don't want to, they sound the same as management at Metro. I fully support the drivers and their claim and that's my opinion.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:Metro has informed the public that a strike will occur on the 21 of February 2013. It has been advertised - by many resources.
http://metrotas.com.au/alerts/view/573/ ... RY%202013/
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... -news.html
It wasn't actually a strike, it was a stopwork meeting. There is a difference.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

5 hour smoko then back to work. :mrgreen:
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I heard they had a barbecue and smoko too.. The R.T.B.U held one. Good on them - you's deserve the best mate
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
crayner

Post by crayner »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:you's deserve the best mate
This.
Thankfully I'm on holidays from work and won't be affected by this industrial action, but I want to wish you guys all the best of luck.
A 24% rise for management and a refusal for a mere 3% to those who actually do the work is sickening at best. :evil:
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Hope all goes well with you all tomorrow and you get the rise you deserve,.Metro management are a bunch of Hippocrates giving the board 24% and offer the drivers 2% or what ever the amount is, either way its just wrong in my opinion. Maybe time to take the buses off the road for a full day :evil:
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Overtime BAN would probably be better. NO DOCs for a week would CRIPPLE the system. Make us look better in the public's eye too, although everyone is saying the support IS THERE amongst the people that care . . . THE PASSENGERS
danielb

Post by danielb »

How much more do you think Metro will take to make them give in? I'm surprised they haven't counter offered at 2.5% to be honest. Things could get interesting next week :lol:

So the general feel from passengers has been positive?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

danielb wrote:How much more do you think Metro will take to make them give in? I'm surprised they haven't counter offered at 2.5% to be honest. Things could get interesting next week :lol:

So the general feel from passengers has been positive?
Apparently YES. As for Metro, CEO will make a point and NOT raise offer (unless told to by higher up). It's her arrogance that's caused the problem. Her lack of respect for her staff. :evil:
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I think you will find that your CEO is acting in accordance with "guidance" she will have received from the Minister and more importantly the state treasury.

If she sat down at the table tomorrow and agreed to all the union's terms she would probably be sacked by the govt within 24 hours.

And of course the reason Treasury is being so tough is that there is little money to spare thanks to your voters giving the idiot greens the balance of power.

So therefore any bus driver who voted or preferenced green last election should be the ones blamed for the lack of a pay rise.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

1whoknows wrote:the Minister
...who is on leave (again) and nowhere to be seen...
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
danielb

Post by danielb »

So, whats next weeks plan? Personally Id be refusing to take payment from the passengers, best way to keep the public on your side, although that could be grounds for dismissal?
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

One can hope it goes pear shape for her, but the Government seems to have an agenda. If she fails to get the result they want then one would think she would be on the out. It may be a tough fight ahead as they don't seem to be backing down. Maybe hit them in hip pocket will rattle them and OT bans.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Well the Victorian teachers have now been in dispute for two years over their pay rise so dont hold your breath waiting for an outcome.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
danielb

Post by danielb »

I found lalas comments interesting on the ABC news. Aparentlly teachers, nurses and politicians are happy with a 2% pay rise lol
yoda

Post by yoda »

danielb wrote:I found lalas comments interesting on the ABC news. Aparentlly teachers, nurses and politicians are happy with a 2% pay rise lol
And I'm sure 2% of their salaries compares to 2% of a drivers salary. :roll:

Here's one to put things into perspective, straight from Metro Annual Reports.

Director's fees (6 board members)
$148,784 (2012), $121,267 (2011), $76,678 (2010).

Executive managers (7 key personnel)
$962,000 (2012), $840,000 (2011), $744,000 (2010).
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

danielb wrote:So, whats next weeks plan? Personally Id be refusing to take payment from the passengers, best way to keep the public on your side, although that could be grounds for dismissal?
NEXT Tue stopwork from 6pm-8pm. MUST collect fares, part of our job description, so YES grounds for dismissal. Passengers DID think THAT was a GREAT idea, but unfortunately cannot do :mrgreen:
1whoknows wrote:I think you will find that your CEO is acting in accordance with "guidance" she will have received from the Minister and more importantly the state treasury.
Don't know about that 1whoknows :? She seems to have an agenda of her own, which is arrogance and COMPLETE lack of respect for her workers. I may be VERY NAIVE, but I would have thought a happy workforce is a more productive workforce. Metro is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. A lot of people say if you don't like it, LEAVE. It's not the actual JOB we don't like, it's management's appoach to runnng the organisation which has created a difficult workplace. It hasn't always been like that. I have also been told, reluctance by her, to take disagreement to Fair Work Commission, as years ago she was told to FIX previous recommendations by the commisssion, WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN DONE, so major ar@ekicking will occur. IMO, it just appears NOW to be, two stubborn people locking head-to-head seeing who will back down 1st :roll: The one thing that really pi@@es ME off, figures quoted (which are fudged anyway) is the 1% will cost Metro an additional $222,000, HOWEVER, they WASTED that amount of $$$$ on the FREE weekend a couple of weeks ago, and then on top of that ALL the posters being put up and taken down for the last fortnight. So for the sake of two BIG EGOS, this could have been resolved WELL BEFORE this and $$$ saved. BUT NO :roll:
yoda wrote: Here's one to put things into perspective, straight from Metro Annual Reports.

Director's fees (6 board members)
$148,784 (2012), $121,267 (2011), $76,678 (2010).

Executive managers (7 key personnel)
$962,000 (2012), $840,000 (2011), $744,000 (2010).
$148,784 / 6 = $24797ea x 24% = PAYRISE $5951.28 p/a (for 1 day p/mth) - Driver's basic wage (high end) $44122 x 3% = $1323.66 p/a (for 20 days p/mth)
So let me see :?: Work 12 DAYS a year - earn $30k (most on more than 1 board) - Driver work 10 MONTHS a year - earn $45k HARDLY FAIR.
WHO does the work :?: WHO gets abused when things don't operate right :?: WHO is ALWAYS in the spotlight :?: The dumb bunny doing the driving :roll:
Sorry, had MY rant for the day, I'll go back to sleep now. Have to get rest, to work excessive hours for minimal pay :mrgreen:
danielb

Post by danielb »

It would be worth having a chat to the Mercury in regards to a story, including the above facts. You could also address the incorrect and general comments being left on the Mercury website. As it stands the drivers are being walked all over and someone really needs to get up and set the record straight.
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Add to that Neil the cost of those bloody bike racks the nobody used.
crichj

Post by crichj »

always makes me wonder, why are there so many key personnel (executive mangers) x7, why seven, they are being twice as much as the prime minister who has a bigger job to do. Off load 4 of these and there would be your 3 per cent rise easy.
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

crichj wrote:always makes me wonder, why are there so many key personnel (executive mangers) x7, why seven, they are being twice as much as the prime minister who has a bigger job to do. Off load 4 of these and there would be your 3 per cent rise easy.
As I said else where, management needs a clean out starting with the CEO (get someone who knows what they are doing, this one doesn't) ,why need 6 where as 4 could do the same job more than likely.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”