Tasmanian Bus Observations September 2012

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations September 2012

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

1whoknows wrote:Why use it on the uni run??

The purpose of advertising is to attract new business not please the business you already have so arguably it should be used on every run except those going to the uni.

When will the AOA for "The Orchards of Hillwood" be released? :P
My belief of the Uni AOA, was a joint venture between Metro & University of Tasmania when the Rte.888s were introduced. Metro paid for the AOA themselves to promote the service, AND to have LE vehicles servicing the University, so I think it was more about promoting the service rather than the Uni. Like the Busy BEE concept, helps identify a specific service, BUT NOT NOWDAYS :roll:
AOA for Orchards of Hillwood will be released when we have approval to use "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of GMs" as soundtrack :lol:
MAD DENNING
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING LANDSEER

Post by MAD DENNING »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
yoda

Post by yoda »

602 reported in Hobart today
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I am doing some work exp. At Metro, happened to be fixing #230 A/C temperature at about 12:40 on Friday Afternoon in the workshops, the temp was too hot so changed it to 23.5 degrees. Then later on in the evening I saw it in Davey Street doing a 44 Strickland Avenue after that heading back down to Middleton on a 96. So here's a few observations. #640 up for a service and I helped with that, #138 was nice ol' girl sitting in the cab she was due for a service and #191 needed jacking up for wheel nuts. :mrgreen:
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:I am doing some work exp. At Metro, happened to be fixing #230 A/C temperature at about 12:40 on Friday Afternoon in the workshops, the temp was too hot so changed it to 23.5 degrees.
23.5 is still TOO HOT, especially since the weather is now starting to get warmer. NO WONDER the drivers complain about the temp INSIDE on the buses.
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Metro-Tas quit?
First I've heard....

Just got back on Thursday evening from a week in Melbourne. Not exactly a holiday, attending to family business but I still had fun!
Can't believe how well public transport works up there....
Myki with its tag on tag off works well and all week I only saw one person use cash and that was on a tram which has a ticket machine on board.
Get on or off any door, two readers on each door so no bottlenecks.
The train system was great too, would have been going to get there as quick by car!
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Apprantly so Spike,would have been a week or so ago I belive.I understand he is with the refuelers at Metro.
Glad you enjoyed your trip to our fair capital,we have a tour in October if you are interested.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
VolvoDriver
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M artic/Scania L94UB

Post by VolvoDriver »

Derwent wrote:Metro-Tas quit?
First I've heard....

Just got back on Thursday evening from a week in Melbourne. Not exactly a holiday, attending to family business but I still had fun!
Can't believe how well public transport works up there....
Myki with its tag on tag off works well and all week I only saw one person use cash and that was on a tram which has a ticket machine on board.
Get on or off any door, two readers on each door so no bottlenecks.
The train system was great too, would have been going to get there as quick by car!
Unfortunately the Myki really doesn't work that well in my experience driving here, and I think any bus driver will tell you similar stories. The readers are unbelievably touchy and slow, almost guaranteed to crash at least once a day, or any time the bus power is turned off, takes about 5 minutes to boot, where 90% of the time it boots into out of service mode and needs another reboot etc. Touching off used to be on trams but it caused bottlenecks so it got cancelled (unless all your journey is in Zone 2). Unfortuatnely on the bus, touching off means our stopping times a longer as people no longer can just jump off, there is a big queue at doors to touch off etc. - doesn't help the readers are so slow and touchy. Before set-down was really quick - now set-down is just as long as pick-up. Doesn't help when people don't get off at the rear door liek they should (unless they need the front door for access/kneeler etc.) Trams work well as far as myki goes - but buses they are not that helpful. Greencard system worked far better - quicker, more reliable, didn't muck up as much. Also, we don't have enough ticket inspectors on buses so we have a lot of fare evasion. Passengers just walk on and sit down sometimes with no intention of getting a ticket. Our policy is not to ask for a ticket so fare evasion is pretty rife. If I didn't ask people to get a metcard when their myki was declined (depends what sort of person they look like - i.e. an aggressive person) I would say 10-15% of all passengers would never pay a thing.

If you live near trams, you're fine. When you go further out and its buses and trains (or even worse, just buses) things start to get pretty inconvenient pretty quickly.

Sorry about the myki whinge - just thought I'd let you know it also has its problems. Which it shouldn't for $1.5 billion of spending.

Cheers
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

I have to admit...the only inspectors I saw all week were on the platform at Flinders St....
The only issue I saw with the Myki readers was one bus where they were all out of service and one tram had a broken reader.

Worst thing all week was missing the last tram from Brunswick by 3 minutes and having to walk right past where that lady was abducted at 1am...
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Hmm - I think the cops are still looking for the second guy. :idea:
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”