HOBART TROLLEY BUS

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
em tea tea

HOBART TROLLEY BUS

Post by em tea tea »

Worth having a look here, little bit of footage of Hobart BUT Trolleys ,goes for about a minute ,hope I have posted the link correctly.
http://www.abc.net.au/corp/history/80years/videos.htm
Bedford-29

Re: HOBART TROLLEY BUS

Post by Bedford-29 »

Just hit the link and scroll down you will see it as this site doesn`t have share function for a link.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

From the look of the video it was taken on an Enthusiast Tour (us "nuts" were around 40yrs ago) :lol: :lol: . One I know of (as one participant had an original trolleybus desto on eBay some months ago) was back in 1968 just before system closure. After the tour, the enthusiast managed to purchase the desto blinds as souvenirs.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

From the look of the video it was taken on an Enthusiast Tour (us "nuts" were around 40yrs ago) :lol: :lol: . One I know of (as one participant had an original trolleybus desto on eBay some months ago) was back in 1968 just before system closure. After the tour, the enthusiast managed to purchase the desto blinds as souvenirs.
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

The Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society has stepped back in time :lol: :lol: :lol:. Bus nuts haven't changed over the years :mrgreen: .
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
yoda

Post by yoda »

leyland clippers wrote:Bus nuts haven't changed over the years :mrgreen: .
They're probably the same ones that are around today :lol:
AEC Regal

Post by AEC Regal »

Just a shame local "bus nuts" weren't organised enough to start preserving buses back in the 60's (or even '70's), like they were on the mainland. Imagine the potential collection in preservation today if they had been......AEC's, early Bedfords, latter day Bedfords, Hinos, Volvos.........U.K. style bus rallies..........the smell of old vinyl, inside engine hoods, the crunch of crash boxes, larch green & cream............so much lost to history.
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

AEC Regal wrote:Just a shame local "bus nuts" weren't organised enough to start preserving buses back in the 60's (or even '70's), like they were on the mainland. Imagine the potential collection in preservation today if they had been......AEC's, early Bedfords, latter day Bedfords, Hinos, Volvos.........U.K. style bus rallies..........the smell of old vinyl, inside engine hoods, the crunch of crash boxes, larch green & cream............so much lost to history.
And most likely would have been donated without any of the red tape.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
VolvoDriver
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M artic/Scania L94UB

Post by VolvoDriver »

Nice find. Interesting little pantographs they have - I wonder how they worked? I've only ever seen ones like on the trams/trains around the palce with the "horizontal bar" in contact with the electricty wires.
royaltiger
Favourite Vehicle: Royal Tiger Worldmaster !

Post by royaltiger »

VolvoDriver wrote:Nice find. Interesting little pantographs they have - I wonder how they worked? I've only ever seen ones like on the trams/trains around the palce with the "horizontal bar" in contact with the electricty wires.
Pantographs? From what I know they were just standard trolley poles with sliding shoes, one for the power feed, the other for the return current. Hobart's trams were rather unique in Australia in having the bow collectors, but there are none on that clip.
Love this island!
VolvoDriver
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M artic/Scania L94UB

Post by VolvoDriver »

That makes sense, I just looked up trolley wheels now I know what they're called. Thanks for that!

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”