Tasmanian Bus Observations Feb 2011

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
royaltiger
Favourite Vehicle: Royal Tiger Worldmaster !

Tasmanian Bus Observations Feb 2011

Post by royaltiger »

Seen several times around Hobart today was #325 on bike rack trials (three trainers on board) sporting a bicycle in the rack. The rack unfolds forward to form a horizontal cradle that two bicycles can be stood in. The rack also has a"MET 325" Bike Rack number plate!!
Love this island!
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations Feb 2011

Post by metro_tas »

It was parked in front of me while I was driving 243 today wasn't quick enough to go have a squizz. Also would any of you know how long before they roll out more yellow bus stop blades?
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

metro_tas wrote:It was parked in front of me while I was driving 243 today wasn't quick enough to go have a squizz. Also would any of you know how long before they roll out more yellow bus stop blades?
Haven't heard anything. Sandy Bay WAS supposed to have been priority after Shoreline, but it hasn't eventuated yet.
yoda

Post by yoda »

Last run of the Boundary Rider service tonight.
They left like lightning too....

Match finished, fireworks set off and I preceded to exit.
Once outside, all buses had "departed" for their destinations - luckily there was a spare on standby.
It ended up doing a Glenorchy Pool via Hobart Bus mall 8)
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Saw ya there earlier!
Wasn't sure that thematch was ever going to start with that weather...
I had a nice bus for the shuttles over there though...dodged a bullet too, was nearly going to be stuck wtih #22!!! #30 the old O305 was a much nicer steed for the evening...
yoda

Post by yoda »

Derwent wrote:Saw ya there earlier!
Wasn't sure that thematch was ever going to start with that weather...
I had a nice bus for the shuttles over there though...dodged a bullet too, was nearly going to be stuck wtih #22!!! #30 the old O305 was a much nicer steed for the evening...
At least if it rained you had the yellow submarine :lol:
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Felt a bit like that for a while...although judging by the moisture seepage from the rain, full submersion might get rather damp... Mind you, one of the Tigers it rains inside nearly as heavily as outside...
yoda

Post by yoda »

The recently retired Mercedes of Cresswell's is for sale just before you enter Mangalore
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

yoda wrote:The recently retired Mercedes of Cresswell's is for sale just before you enter Mangalore
Yep. ex #5 Mercedes Benz 1617 Ansair (1981) I think
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

I made two observations on buses 149 and 509 the metro Logo is no longer part of the livery and thats on the door side also a new desto for the electronic buses

000 depot only
not in service
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

#656 - #614 - #189 all have the yellow treatment NOW. Tassielink's BRAND NEW A30 is on the Swansea run (#24), so keep an eye out for it AND the other (#23).
yoda

Post by yoda »

metro_tas wrote:I made two observations on buses 149 and 509 the metro Logo is no longer part of the livery and thats on the door side also a new desto for the electronic buses
I spotted that on 509 this evening - it does have the white skirt around the bottom with the logo in it, I put it down to that
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

but it looks so odd??? or is just me being picky
yoda

Post by yoda »

I had a good head scratch when I saw it.

As it came from Launceston, I couldn't remember if it had always been like that or not
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

no it must be a "NEW" brainwave...
yoda

Post by yoda »

Or the new "white" :!:
royaltiger

Post by royaltiger »

metro_tas wrote:also a new desto for the electronic buses

000 depot only
not in service
I do not know how new it is, it has been there for some time I gather; Code 7000. I have been using it for some time in preference to "SORRY NOT IN SERVICE" because I am not sorry about it!!! :P
Love this island!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

royaltiger wrote: I do not know how new it is, it has been there for some time I gather; Code 7000. I have been using it for some time in preference to "SORRY NOT IN SERVICE" because I am not sorry about it!!! :P
YOU probably use it because it is STYLED on the SYDNEY destinations :lol:
royaltiger

Post by royaltiger »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:YOU probably use it because it is STYLED on the SYDNEY destinations
Yah I know you dont like them but they were the result of some pretty serious research into visibility and recognisability. All they have to do is put the route number on the RIGHT side of the desto. Seriously though I cannot stand the word SORRY on the Not in Service display - wtf is there to be sorry about??? O'Driscolls dont apologise for it. I always use 9013 "Metro" with the little bus picture or 9048 "Metro" in preference or 7000 Depot Only when returning to the shed. As an aside I also note that the N70 Nite Rider destos were done in a similar style - 7 dots high for the primary desto and 5 dots for the secondary, 12 dots for the route number.
Love this island!
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Cracked the quinella yesterday :D Got to travel on 2 VOV Mk 1's going to work. First up on #142 X4 to Glenorchy Bus Mall then #144 on route #37 into Hobart. Unusual to travel on same type of bus two in a row. Next weekend Metro are providing free bus travel and will be operating Saturday timetables on Sunday and Monday due to the large number of events that are taking place next weekend, eg Wooden Boat Festival, Royal Hobart Regatta and Hobart Cup are three that come to mind.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

metro_tas wrote:I made two observations on buses 149 and 509 the metro Logo is no longer part of the livery and thats on the door side
yoda wrote: I spotted that on 509 this evening - it does have the white skirt around the bottom with the logo in it, I put it down to that
What they are talking about :o
P1390378.JPG
P1390378.JPG (34.51 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
royaltiger

Post by royaltiger »

leyland clippers wrote:Next weekend Metro are providing free bus travel and will be operating Saturday timetables on Sunday and Monday due to the large number of events that are taking place next weekend, eg Wooden Boat Festival, Royal Hobart Regatta and Hobart Cup are three that come to mind.
Yep will be something to see bus services on a Sunday and Public Holiday on routes that never see them otherwise, as well as the full gambit of late night services running Sunday in Hobart and Launceston and again Monday in Hobart. Also a good litmus test for those routes in Launceston and Hobart that suffer from the 2hr frequencies on a Sunday being provided with the Saturday frequencies.
Love this island!
royaltiger

Post by royaltiger »

Well what a busy few days on Metros Fare Free weekend, in Hobart at least. All the happenings in town gave the city an aura of being very busy, with the Wooden Boats Festival drawing large crowds all weekend. Bus loadings were heavy on Saturday with relief buses being provided most of the day on the City-Glenorchy and City-Shoreline corridors. Not sure about Sunday but on Monday a few relief buses were also being provided on afternoon outbound Main Road trips. The biggest (seemingly justified) complaint was the lack of publicity given to the running of Saturday timetables on Sunday and Monday.... the brochures and fliers made no reference to this.
Love this island!
royaltiger

Post by royaltiger »

Metro's Mobitech destos had an update last week with the displays for Routes 51-55 (Lower Sandy Bay/Churchill Ave) being updated.
Route numbers are only 12 dots high, whilst the primary desto is 7 dots high (bold) and the secondary line is 6 dots high (not bold) or 5 dots for longer descriptors such as "VIA SANDY BAY SHOPS".
Outbound trips strangely scroll through three primary destinations on the outbound whilst the secondary line displays "CIRCULAR SERVICE" without changing.
Inbound trips have HOBART as the primary destination and scroll through three VIA xxxxxxxxx on the secondary line.
For mine a better look and more suited to the Mobitech-unfriendly Northcoast desto housing.
Love this island!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

royaltiger wrote:Metro's Mobitech destos had an update last week with the displays for Routes 51-55 (Lower Sandy Bay/Churchill Ave) being updated.
Route numbers are only 12 dots high, whilst the primary desto is 7 dots high (bold) and the secondary line is 6 dots high (not bold) or 5 dots for longer descriptors such as "VIA SANDY BAY SHOPS".
Outbound trips strangely scroll through three primary destinations on the outbound whilst the secondary line displays "CIRCULAR SERVICE" without changing.
Inbound trips have HOBART as the primary destination and scroll through three VIA xxxxxxxxx on the secondary line.
For mine a better look and more suited to the Mobitech-unfriendly Northcoast desto housing.
TOO SMALL, top desto SHOULDN'T change, lower desto ridiculously small, number too small. Here's how we can get productivity effectinesss. Rip ALL the Mobitec destos out and replace them with a SMALLER one, since we are not going to use the capacity of the current ones. Just like bloody Sydney destos. They have already changed ALL of Burnie's, just to accomodate the NCBCs. We almost have MORE CB60s and the destos on them are FINE!! (sorry royaltiger) but this topic really pi##es me off something fierce. The destos are now too small a font, and IMO are going to be more difficult to read from a distance. Why in the bloody hell they have CIRCULAR SERVICE on bottom beggers belief. What a stupid idea. They always complain the top desto should read the outer terminus, well now they DON'T. Since when has Regent St been an outer terminus. IT IS A via and should be on the bottom. Anyway, I've had MY rant. What I spotted today was Chris's Travel DOUBLE DECKER, presumably heading to Port Arthur @ 8.30asm this morning. Appeared to be a Denning (from the rear anyway)

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”