hobart cricket bus services

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
phil l

hobart cricket bus services

Post by phil l »

Hi

Metro advertised quite a comprehensive "boundary rider" bus service to the sate 20/20 cricket at bellerive last night.

I was surprised to see a good portion of those services operated by O'Driscolls. The services that I saw had very small levels of patronage which is a pity but it was encouraging that Metro seems to have taken the initiative to get such a service underway and even more so to work with a private company.

Previously there has been one or two buses from various destinations but the 15 minute service adsvertised is a great initiative to get people out of their cars.

About 6000 people attended the cricket last night. about 16000 should attend the england game next week which has similar arrangements in place.

any other reports on these services?

Phil L
yoda

Re: hobart cricket bus services

Post by yoda »

I only saw the end of the tv news article.
I intend to use the service for the one dayer
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

phil l wrote:I was surprised to see a good portion of those services operated by O'Driscolls. The services that I saw had very small levels of patronage which is a pity but it was encouraging that Metro seems to have taken the initiative to get such a service underway and even more so to work with a private company.
Hi. I don't think it was a matter of working with a private, but more along the lines that Metro don't have the 13 buses required to operate the services. I spotted one of O'Driscoll buses (#26) working the cruise ship with "Metro Boundary Rider" on the desto :lol: Had to send the txt to the person responsible :D to get clarification. Didn't tell me, but worked it out myself, as I was aware the shuttles were happening. Details of the "PARK & RIDE"(not sure if exactly right)Park & Ride shuttles @ Cambridge Park, South St Bellerive, Kingston (Park & Ride) Glenorchy (I think DEC) and Bridgewater (I think). New Norfolk could also be one :?: As mentioned, not exactly sure of details, but I think this is an overview. Open to correct by anyone who knows differently.
yoda wrote:I intend to use the service for the one dayer
U CAN'T go. U R working. Boss will C U on TV :lol: :lol: :lol: U have to use the service. That crappy F...... wouldn't make it over the bridge :lol: :lol: :lol:
yoda

Post by yoda »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
yoda wrote:I intend to use the service for the one dayer
U CAN'T go. U R working. Boss will C U on TV :lol: :lol: :lol:
6 day weekend begins on the 21st 8)
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

they have that big carpark in Pioneer Ave in New Norfolk I personally think Park & Ride is a Great idea.
phil l

Post by phil l »

the Glenorchy service ran from the Glenorchy Olympic pool in Anfield Street.

Interested in the comment about metro not having the etxra buses required.

Any one know what are the current peak requirments versus fleet size in Hobart?

Phil
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

well maybe not a lack of buses Phil but more a lack of drivers I was talking to two drivers who got called in off holidays to operate these services
royaltiger
Favourite Vehicle: Royal Tiger Worldmaster !

Post by royaltiger »

I am not sure that lack of buses was the problem, perhaps lack of drivers.
But "hear hear" to the general comments on the service.... sure, maybe a slow start, but everything good must have a genesis and with proper marketing it could be a winner. The fact that it is free certainly appeals. I am not sure how it is funded; back in NSW free public transport to major sport events at the Olympic Stadium (and other venues) is funded by building the cost of PT into EVERY ticket to the event. Works well, up to 75% arrive by PT and those who choose to clog the roads pay twice.
Love this island!
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

metro_tas wrote:well maybe not a lack of buses Phil but more a lack of drivers I was talking to two drivers who got called in off holidays to operate these services
And we have one prospective Metro driver waiting in the wings who could have made a start NOW :!: :roll:
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

Could've but 24th isn't to far away now
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

I'm on the Boundary Rider service today...keep an eye out for 20 :D
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

you got one of your faves spike shes a nice bus 20
yoda

Post by yoda »

Derwent wrote:I'm on the Boundary Rider service today...keep an eye out for 20 :D
If you're doing the Glenorchy run, I shall indeed see you.
If not, beware of stalkers :lol:
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Have had a few enquiries in the infromation booth today while doing lunch relief about the boundary rider service. Just saw an O'Driscoll bus just leaving for Bellerive. Leaving from B line according to Metro web-site.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Yes, myself in 20, Steve in 19 and Peter in 15 were running out of B line. Bloody hell the traffic got busy! I like 20, best bus in the fleet now that 23 is gone... :-(
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

finally put back together and sold?
yoda

Post by yoda »

Derwent wrote:myself in 20
Managed to give you the bird out the side of 720 :P
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Just a Q :?: Were there any ring-in operators from the north that may have bought groups down, and if so, did anyone get any pics :?: (saw Lesters from Scottsdale in Carlyle carpark when I knocked off, so thought there may be others)
yoda

Post by yoda »

I saw Metro artics and 12.5's, airporter rosa, O'D's Mills Tui, Irisbus, Tigers, Hino's and Red Decker had their two UK Atlanteans there.

Pics to come
phil l

Post by phil l »

I attended the cricket last Friday night and took the time to make a few observations about the bus service to get everyone away.

Although there was an advice on the main screen telling patrons where each bus would leave from it was really too small. The reality was also somewhat different outside as well as I noted Kingborough services leaving from 2 different locations. Additionally destinations seemed to be made up on the fly with at least 2 calls of "everybody for X destination - follow me!!"

Congratulations to the O'Driscoll driver who was acting as the information man/coordinator to start with. It seems the Metro guy might have beeen late as the match finished a little earlier than expected.

Bit disappointing that the arrangements were between 4 and 6 buses short I thought, leaving hundreds waiting and wondering when they would be moved about half an hour after the game finished . It seems some buses were to be used for multiple trips which really doesnt work when the crowds all leave within about 10 - 15 minutes.

Buses getting cuaught in traffic was an issues as well though. There needs to be a priority system for buses to encourage their use in my opinion.

Traffic took about 1.5 hours to clear after the last ball.

I live within walking distance of the ground so didnt get caught up in any of it.

How long since public transport has had to faciliatte two events toghttre in Hobart? - with this event and the Moorilla shuttle both happening concurrently.

Phil Lange
yoda

Post by yoda »

Very quiet over there tonight - think my group of 4 may have been the only Glenorchy passengers over to Bellerive and only two of us returned.

I even had the offer of a lift from 2 other people in their cars. Had to laugh when we beat them back to Glenorchy :lol:
metro_tas

Post by metro_tas »

^^LIKE^^
yoda

Post by yoda »

Did I mention last nights again?

Only two for a whole re-diverted artic to save us waiting 5 minutes for the other one.

Big thumbs up to all who organised it - fingers crossed we get Tuesday's prelim final here and they provide the service again!
royaltiger
Favourite Vehicle: Royal Tiger Worldmaster !

Post by royaltiger »

One suspects that the arrangements will improve with time as they get more experience under their belts and with appropriate support from council closing off relevant streets to allow buses to marshall properly and get away in priority to car traffic. With proper funding it can only be a good thing. The letters pages in the Mercurag contain some grumblings about parking in the area, so if parking does get restricted then good public tranposrt to the venue becomes that much more important. Metros staff newsletter today published a glowing review of the service from Kingston received from a passenger who drove to the cricket last year but took the bus this year.
Love this island!

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”